Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    It’s very common to overtill clay. Less is better or even no-tilling clay is best.

Have you thought about raised beds?

Edit- could you get a tractor back there? If you could get someone with a ripper to shatter that hard pan but not bring it up to the surface (you don’t want to have it taint your nice amended soil on the surface you just want to break it so roots and worms can get in there and do work for you)
    I don't think the clay is getting disturbed with the little tiller I rent. It's advertised as a 10" tilling depth but in my experience it doesn't go that deep since the tines slide on the top of the clay surface and I can't put enough weight on it to break through. The 8" above that are pretty good soil and heavily amended. It used to be lawn BITD then the previous owners let it go to shit and it became choked with weeds. We pulled everything out (including digging out 2 massive pine tree stumps that had been left in there to rot) and tilled the whole thing 3 years in a row, adding a couple yards of compost each time. The goal was to prep the whole backyard so whoever buys the house has a blank slate to do as they please, most likely a new lawn. We already have too much lawn as is so keeping the backyard as dirt and using it as a garden in the meantime made sense. I've always done raised beds in the past since the soil in SLC is utter garbage but it's nice to have a bigger surface to work with...
    Things grow really well in a normal dry year when the water can drain through the good soil and doesn't pool above the clay.

^^^ Thanks, gonna look into that. Looks like you could mount it on the back of something fairly small. The neighbor is always frothing at the mouth at the thought of using his ATV, maybe for once it could be useful!

Has anyone here ever grown Lime Basil? I planted some this year and all I can say is "WOW!" Neat stuff! Smells divine. Good in GTs, ice tea, coolers etc. Have tried anything else with it yet.

Use Lime Basil in stir fry, fish and poultry dishes, where the fresh citrus flavor can come through. Lime Basil matches well with tomato-flavored dishes, pasta sauces, vegetables, especially beans, peppers, and eggplants, along with soups and stuffing for duck.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Whatever you do, don't let your basil do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Whatever you do, don't let your basil do that.
    Yeah - that picture is from a seed company (I linked to it above) so they want that BUT... lime basil is not quite like sweet basil with regard to getting woody.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Yeah - that picture is from a seed company (I linked to it above) so they want that BUT... lime basil is not quite like sweet basil with regard to getting woody.
    It gives me a woody.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Has anyone here ever grown Lime Basil? I planted some this year and all I can say is "WOW!" Neat stuff! Smells divine. Good in GTs, ice tea, coolers etc. Have tried anything else with it yet.
    We've planted some the past couple of years. It seems to tolerate the heat better than other varieties and, as the pic above suggests, grows WELL. We use it everywhere and make stir-frys constantly to try to get rid of it. Doesn't work as pesto basil though, too tangy.

Thinning the radishes yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190617_201030.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	286170

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    We've planted some the past couple of years. It seems to tolerate the heat better than other varieties and, as the pic above suggests, grows WELL. We use it everywhere and make stir-frys constantly to try to get rid of it. Doesn't work as pesto basil though, too tangy.
    Bet it would be great for pickling.

Have enjoyed some radishes and strawberries so far. Everything else is growing great guns this year. Looks like it could be a good tomato year (but never a guarantee in Seattle).

For the first time in four years we planted stuff this season. We built a couple planter boxes, took down an Aspen that shaded half the lawn, and jumped on a shovel a lot.

First time in 23 years of living here we have a varmint problem. For the last month and a half someone’s Easter present gone awry has been hopping around my cul de sac. He’s a good looking bunny and any other year I’d be amused by his travels.

Name:	6D7176A5-FDA2-4AA4-B09D-2807D7279726.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	286221

Three times I’ve come out on my deck to find him in my back yard. Last week I came home to find half my broccoli eaten. My 7yo son and 17yo daughter aren’t keen on me popping a pellet cap in his ass. (The 21yo son is all for it.) Sunday I was sitting on my deck when the dog gave her oh shit trouble bark and sprinted off the deck, I look up to see her hot on the heels of a very fast bunny. I’m hoping that scare overpowers the tasty treat that is broccoli.

Tomatoes are doing well

Name:	A14AD968-27D5-457F-99F6-8EA2085C5D73.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	286222

Peppers as well.

Name:	2BE9479E-B1F8-4520-BC7F-4FFA0ACBBF7A.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	286223

Planter boxes are doing well

Name:	288AC953-ED89-46D3-BE38-55B5BB303943.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	286224

Name:	A2054FBD-309E-4E11-845D-2BD21823A20B.jpg 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	286225

Pumpkins starting to take off and watermelon won’t be far behind.

Name:	13BC670F-EBF7-42AC-A91C-CED8DD052F46.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	286226

Garden 2019

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

First time in 23 years of living here we have a varmint problem. For the last month and a half someone’s Easter present gone awry has been hopping around my cul de sac. He’s a good looking bunny and any other year I’d be amused by his travels.
    Someone released a male and a female in our neighborhood a few years ago and now we have a god damn infestation. Fortunately they seem to be scared of the dogs and mostly steer clear of my yard/garden. Your beds are looking good!

For the first time in four years we planted stuff this season. We built a couple planter boxes, took down an Aspen that shaded half the lawn, and jumped on a shovel a lot.

Three times I’ve come out on my deck to find him in my back yard. Last week I came home to find half my broccoli eaten. My 7yo son and 17yo daughter aren’t keen on me popping a pellet cap in his ass. (The 21yo son is all for it.) Sunday I was sitting on my deck when the dog gave her oh shit trouble bark and sprinted off the deck, I look up to see her hot on the heels of a very fast bunny. I’m hoping that scare overpowers the tasty treat that is broccoli.]
    We have all kinds of varmint troubles from deer to rabbits and moles as well as mountain beaver. Yes mountain beaver.

I work my fencing tight on a couple of the gardens but on others I don't bother with wire.
    I use red chili pepper.

We get 2 lb bags of the burning hot dried chili pepper from the local Chinese grocery store. I either sprinkle it on the plants or make a tea or oil and spritz the plants with that. Not 100% effective, but if I'm diligent about applying it, it works pretty well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

What's the best way to get rid of some prairie dogs under my stairs? I'll block it off once they're out/dead but I'd prefer to have them leave and live/die elsewhere. Can't get a cat until the dog dies and the dog could have gotten them in her younger days but no longer.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    What's the best way to get rid of some prairie dogs under my stairs? I'll block it off once they're out/dead but I'd prefer to have them leave and live/die elsewhere. Can't get a cat until the dog dies and the dog could have gotten them in her younger days but no longer.
    A transistor radio tuned to a heavy metal station?

A 2 pound bag of dried super hot red pepper flakes?

Dry ice bombs?

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Home Depot has those gopher smoke bombs. Worked on gophers for me not sure with prairie dogs

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Harvested the first scapes from our garlic today. Several weeks earlier then I can recall.

20 minutes in our strawberry patch, then we got bored.

Gonna be a banner year.

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	286558

Anyone have any good organic pest control formulas for the PNW?

My strawberries keep getting eaten and the leaves on my green beans are shredded all the time.

Some slug activity but also insects.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Three times I’ve come out on my deck to find him in my back yard. Last week I came home to find half my broccoli eaten. My 7yo son and 17yo daughter aren’t keen on me popping a pellet cap in his ass. (The 21yo son is all for it.) Sunday I was sitting on my deck when the dog gave her oh shit trouble bark and sprinted off the deck, I look up to see her hot on the heels of a very fast bunny. I’m hoping that scare overpowers the tasty treat that is broccoli.
    fear of the dog isn't enough.
    liquidate the rabbit. or lose crops.
    your choice.

sorry kids.

I get +/- 1lb of meat from each trespassing rabbit, albeit they're little cottontails.
    delicious rabbit stew.
    complete with the veggies they *didn't get a chance to eat.

Name:  IMG_1115.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  46.3 KB

Slow start in my neck of the woods.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    My strawberries keep getting eaten and the leaves on my green beans are shredded all the time.

Some slug activity but also insects.
    I've got just a few strawberry plants and finally had some ripe looking fruit a couple weeks ago. My wife told me I should pick them then, but I thought they still needed a couple days. Of course when I went back out slugs had eaten nice holes in all the ripe berries!

Slug deterrents include copper wire loops or borders, they hate crossing it. Get it from the electrical section of Deep Homo.

The hottest chili powder you can find, available in bulk at Asian grocery stores.

Then, also, as our resident Australian suggested, beer traps. I may have to go buy some shitty beer, can't bring myself to use the good stuff. Someone gave up a bottle of Cooks headache in a bottle, so I may try that on the sn00tier slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I may have to go buy some shitty beer, can't bring myself to use the good stuff..
    You'll catch a bunch of slugs with thick mustaches and tiny anchor tattoos with the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You'll catch a bunch of slugs with thick mustaches and tiny anchor tattoos with the good stuff.
    What about the Cooks sparkling headache?

maybe the local milf? not sure.