Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	283410

When we moved here 7 years ago, all you see in the fenced in areas was grass and two planet boxes, and no fence. My wife has done a ton of work to make this garden, and I've done quite a bit myself as needed, mainly just the fence, shed you can't see, etc. so all credit goes to her really. Peas, hops, giant pumpkins, strawberries, cucumbers, lettuce, kale, corn, herbs, asparagus, and a bunch other shit I don't remember until it pops up.

Nice. And no fucking grass to water and cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Some of our neighbors grumble every spring when I take out new sections of lawn to xeriscape or replace with edible stuff. Every year without fail I remind them that we live in a desert and even if they paid my water bill I'd rather let the grass die than make it look like I live in New England.
    This year I rented a tiller and tore up the entire backyard to turn it into a growing field. The old guy across the street just about passed out when he saw what I was doing.

One of the first things I did when I bought this place was hired a guy with a skid steer and had him remove 3000 sq ft of turf (weeds) front the front yard. Some neighbors grumble but oh well. Many of the other neighbors are super complementary about it. I know some people like lawn for kids or dogs or themselves and that’s cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Well, not where the garden is of course, but there is still 45 minutes of mowing to do every 5 days.

Getting rid of the front and side yard with xeriscape is a distant goal, not sure how to make it look good yet. Backyard grass we will keep as-is with two kids/two dogs.

I've been lax maintaining our grass tennis court; it got lumpy this year.

I generally don't water it, maybe a little at the beginning of August after 4 weeks of no rain.

But yeah, it requires mowing weekly. I go corded electric with 150 feet of heavy gauge extension cord.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The old guy across the street just about passed out when he saw what I was doing.
    Red rover red rover. The neighbor is tilling his yard, over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Red rover red rover. The neighbor is tilling his yard, over.
    Amusingly enough he's a former marine. And a staunch Mormon. Odd combination. He's always on the lookout and will not hesitate to walk over and chide us if we do something he doesn't like, eg not pulling out dandelions fast enough so they get a chance to travel 2 houses up and across the street to seed his yard. He called my wife at work last fall because he thought I was being unsafe trimming trees. Admittedly it was 10PM and I was 40' up with the chainsa, headlamp, and noise-cancelling headphones so I never heard him call me. I was roped up and not doing anything particularly sketchy but he disapproved. Called the front desk at the hospital where she works and demanded to talk to her. Made is sound so bad they pulled her out of a trauma she was running. She was unimpressed and somehow it ended up being my faults.
    Neighbors right?

We are getting so much rain in SLC we have random mushrooms growing in our garden. In the high desert: mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    We are getting so much rain in SLC we have random mushrooms growing in our garden. In the high desert: mushrooms.
    While getting rained on in the west desert last week I found a ton of weird looking mushrooms growing out of sand dunes. I think they were warted puffballs which I've only ever seen in wet pastures in France! There was 5' tall grass at the base of walls which are always barren. Mormon tea bushes have doubled in size since the fall. Craziest spring ever. I'm hoping we can get plants in the ground this weekend before the next dumps...

Get someone to identify those 'shrooms, STAT.

While getting rained on in the west desert last week I found a ton of weird looking mushrooms growing out of sand dunes. I think they were warted puffballs which I've only ever seen in wet pastures in France! There was 5' tall grass at the base of walls which are always barren. Mormon tea bushes have doubled in size since the fall. Craziest spring ever. I'm hoping we can get plants in the ground this weekend before the next dumps...
    We are all done planting, but over-saturation is a worry. I think 2011 was similar though, I can vaguely remember it being pretty wet and getting snowed on at low elevation (6k? 7k?) in the sheep creek mountains on memorial day.

First big hail storm of the year

We are all done planting, but over-saturation is a worry. I think 2011 was similar though, I can vaguely remember it being pretty wet and getting snowed on at low elevation (6k? 7k?) in the sheep creek mountains on memorial day.
    NOAA says 2019 is the 3rd wettest spring on record with 2011 being the first. We're still an inch behind but the forecast looks wet enough to make a play for it.
    We got all the veggies in the ground Sat morning so they could enjoy a couple of warmish and dryish days. Looks like things are getting less wet starting Wed so hopefully the transplants don't drown. 15 tomatoes, 12 peppers, some pickling cucumbers, a few eggplants, tomatillos, some melons, 4 squashes, a bunch of beans and peas. Carrots and beets have been in the ground a while but aren't doing too well with the moisture we've had.

Name:	IMG_20190525_171857.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	283965

I couldn't believe the state of the soil about 1' down. I've amended the SHIT out of the yard over the past 3 years, dumped about 3 yards of compost in there, tilled it as deep as I could go, and there's still an impenetrable layer of clay down there with super saturated soil over it. I'd probably need to bring in a backhoe to get through that...

<snip> there's still an impenetrable layer of clay down there
    Wait. You live on the Colorado Front Range?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    First big hail storm of the year
    We've gotten hail 3 times in the last 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Get someone to identify those 'shrooms, STAT.

So a neighbor this weekend says some of ours looks to be be hallucinogenic....googling them tonight. A long shot, but would be nice, eh?

So a neighbor this weekend says some of ours looks to be be hallucinogenic....googling them tonight. A long shot, but would be nice, eh?
    lol

You're gonna try to identify 'shrooms via the Google?

Name:  xcrazy.gif
Views: 323
Size:  1.1 KB

Yeah. Don't worry, I'll let the wife try them first.

Wait. You live on the Colorado Front Range?!?
    Salt Lake. I think I tilled my way down to the bottom of Lake Bonneville...

This is the bible, supposedly: https://www.amazon.com/Psilocybin-Mu.../dp/0898158397

Michael Pollan spends a bunch of time with the author in Pollan's latest book. Bottom line seems to be that misidentification with deadly species is very, very easy.

Salt Lake. I think I tilled my way down to the bottom of Lake Bonneville...
    Yeah, I know. Same shit here, though. Fucking clay.

Yeah, I know. Same shit here, though. Fucking clay.
    Fucking clay indeed. My 4 melons (painstakingly grown from seeds I got from my grandma in France) didn't survive the excess moisture and all keeled over. Every year I hesitate to amend their area with a ton of sand to improve drainage and decide against it cause it never gets wet here...

These guys are loving it though, they're ready much sooner than they've ever been:

Name:	IMG_20190601_171738.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	284635

Fucking clay indeed. My 4 melons (painstakingly grown from seeds I got from my grandma in France) didn't survive the excess moisture and all keeled over. Every year I hesitate to amend their area with a ton of sand to improve drainage and decide against it cause it never gets wet here...
    We have a layer of clay 6 inches to a foot below the old forest duff. I dug down into it once and gave up at about 4 feet down.

So I was also thinking of amending the soil with sand, but I read that can make the situation worse, turning the clay into cement. So I work 20 bags of different kinds of manure into the gardens every year.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Adding sand to clay is about the worst thing you could do for it. Organic material is your friend.
    I've always read that melons like sandy soils and need good drainage? The upper foot of soil has been amended into oblivion with massive amounts of organic matter, the problem is below that with the layer of clay. I don't really know how I can fix that without renting a backhoe and digging 3' deep... The last couple of years I got really aggressive with the tiller and compost but I don't think I get anything done deeper than 8". Maybe the melons need to grow in a container...

Edit: holy shit that's a lot of sand