Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Could it be Damping Off? Too much water has killed many a seedling...
    Most seedlings can only take up something close to their mass in water in a day. After that little half-teaspoon, the primary thing water does for a seedling is displace and replace air in the soil.
    Roots need oxygen [leaves need CO2 for photosynthesis in the daytime, and oxygen for the Dark Reaction at night - roots need oxygen all the time].
    H2O2 [aka hydrogen peroxide] degrades into O2+H2O over 24-48hrs. Adding H2O2 to your water adds dissolved oxygen and pure gaseous oxygen to root zones.

So if you suspect your seedlings are damping off - water less, and use a good shot of 3% USP hydrogen peroxide in the water when you do.

Roots, man. The plant has an established root system. Rule of thumb: A plant has as much mass below ground as above.
    Under normal conditions of an outdoor garden in soil, a plant can only grow in direct proportion to its root mass. Your over-wintered tomatillos start growing more roots as soon as soil temps allow, and start snowballing with more capacity than your younger starts. Critical mass.
    Really interesting stuff about the availability of water and the use of peroxide. As a chemist it's something I've never even thought if but it's very obvious once you point it out...

Overwatering may be the issue. I start everything in a dome seed tray and the tomatillo was the first to pop up. Since the peat pellets have to stay wet until all seed have germinated there's a lot of moisture in the germination tray & dome and it may be too much for the sprouted plants. Although the squashes and tomato seedlings don't seem to give a shit and thrive in the super humid environment waiting for the lazy ass pepper seeds to sprout.

I have to find a better way to get everything started though. After about 10 days the plants get too tall to stay in peat pellets and start bending over. I've lost a couple of the heavier ones which basically collapse under their own weights. I transplant everything to bigger pots (solo cups or plastic pots from plants I bought) after a couple of weeks and they go through a first transition (old leaves whither out, plant looks haggard before recovering and sprouting new leaves) then sit in those pots for another 2-3 weeks before going into the ground where they go through transition #2. Would be nice to only transplant once into the garden but I don't have the room to start all the seedlings directly into bigger pots.

Re: roots, for sure. I actually yanked the revived tomatillo as I didn't want a second year of dealing with the sticky fucker. The root ball was enormous. Made me wonder if leaving tomato plants in the ground would work over the winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

I have to find a better way to get everything started though. After about 10 days the plants get too tall to stay in peat pellets and start bending over. I've lost a couple of the heavier ones which basically collapse under their own weights. I transplant everything to bigger pots (solo cups or plastic pots from plants I bought) after a couple of weeks and they go through a first transition (old leaves whither out, plant looks haggard before recovering and sprouting new leaves) then sit in those pots for another 2-3 weeks before going into the ground where they go through transition #2. Would be nice to only transplant once into the garden but I don't have the room to start all the seedlings directly into bigger pots. ...
    Sounds like your seedlings are stretching to find light. Put a high lumen and correct spectrum light nice and close to the seedlings. I've used fluoros in the past for starts but LED grow light tech has come a long way recently.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Sounds like your seedlings are stretching to find light. Put a high lumen and correct spectrum light nice and close to the seedlings. I've used fluoros in the past for starts but LED grow light tech has come a long way recently.
    Light is fine, I have a monster CFC bulb directly above the dome. The peat pellets are just too small for plants that get more than 6" tall...

Amended with manures and compost 6 weeks ago, fixed some of the fences from snow load trashings.

Put in garlic, shallots, onions, dahlias, gladiolus, nasturtiums, sweet peas, snap peas, the first 20 basil plants with another 30 basil plants and 8 tomato plants pending.

West garden:

South garden:
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Setup the community garden this weekend, in a snowstorm.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Question for you with raised planters....at some point in time do you just replace all the soil in the box?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Question for you with raised planters....at some point in time do you just replace all the soil in the box?
    We just amend with compost every year or three, and check the ph every spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    We just amend with compost every year or three, and check the ph every spring.
    Same. I just double dig some compost and manure in. Seems to produce fine after 6 plus years.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I have a couple of small ones, 3'x1'x1', and I dump them in the fall and fill them with fresh dirt in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I have a couple of small ones, 3'x1'x1', and I dump them in the fall and fill them with fresh dirt in the spring.
    Where does all that good dirt go?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Where does all that good dirt go?
    Into one of the gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Light is fine, I have a monster CFC bulb directly above the dome. The peat pellets are just too small for plants that get more than 6" tall...
    I pull the dome off as soon they start to pop out of the pellet, and drop am LED right on top of them and slowly raise as they begin to grow. I also keep a fan on them to allow them to grow stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    the wood rots before the soil goes bad in my raised beds
    this is why I dump mine.

first 20 basil plants with another 30 basil plants

You must be good at basil, any tips or tricks or does it just grow well there?
    I thought you had a full time job how do you have enough time to clip and trim those? Do you sell at a farmers market?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I thought you had a full time job how do you have enough time to clip and trim those? Do you sell at a farmers market?
    That's a fuckload of basil. We had 2 large plants last years and are still working on the batches of pesto we vaccum-sealed and froze. Can't imagine the time you'd spend dealing with that many.

Our arugula is keeping us busy this year, we planted a small patch last year (seeded a fair amount of ground but only a 2' x 2' square grew) and it came back with a vengeance. I've always heard it tastes like shit if it gets big or puts out seeds but ours tastes exactly like baby arugula and it's 2.5' tall with 2" of flowers and seed on each stem. We're letting it do its thing so it expands a bit. The only thing that is different from baby arugula is the texture, it's a bit less crunchy. We're throwing it on everything...

If it could only stop raining for a minute in UT I'd throw my plants in the ground. I'm about 3 weeks behinds compared to last year, the only think going at this point is the cool weather patch with lettuce, onions/garlics, and hardy herbs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190522_100110.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	283377

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I love basil and we burn up a ton of it over the summer in fresh pesto, with seafood and caprese at least once a week. When I make pesto pasta, it's green and firey.

We live East of Seattle in the Cascade foothills where it's cool and even rainier than Seattle, so basil doesn't grow that well here. We have a lot of slugs that can be a problem. We have a sunroom where I get starts going and root clippings in water to get a bunch more starts.

Plants usually don't get more than 10 inches tall. Basil likes hot weather. So I generally don't plant it until June and sometimes not even then. This year has been drier, so I'm trying to put it in a little earlier. I think the trick is to wait until the nigh temps stay above 50F. If I put them in early, sometimes I'll cover them with those clear plastic salad/lettuce containers.

We have no problem burning up all the basil we grow.

I used to do this when I was working full time as well, but now I'm just whittling away at some code in support of another patent I filed, so I have more spare time.

We generally grow 2 large pots of basil (~15 plants in each pot) - one "classic" variety and one usually purple Thai basil. Use a shitload of it for caprese, bruschetta, pasta sauce, and stir-frys. Don't come anywhere near using it all, though. Also give as much away as I can during season...

I'm behind with the main gardens and will share pics of them later.

But for now... check out these peas!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190519_174626012.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	283384

There’s a Pho place near me that serves a couple giant handfuls of basil leaves with a bowl. I have friends that put a leaf of two in, I’m like you sure you don’t want more of that? I leave some bean sprouts behind but never any basil.

Impressive peas.

I just planted ours so they're only an inch tall.

Those peas were planted last fall. Made it through the winter, including 2+ ft of snow.

I have English peas growing from the previous land owner. The flowers and nice and they grow with zero maintenance but I wish they were any other kind of pea. Who grows English soup peas ?

You guys and your peaness obsessions.

You guys and your peaness obsessions.
    Peaness gets a lot of attention. But not as much as the other vagetables.