Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    This is the recipe I used yesterday:

CHILI VERDE WITH PORK AND HOMINY (POSOLE)
    I've made something very similar in the past and LOVED IT. Ms B is vegetarian which means I get to enjoy the stuff for a week straight with zero competition. Bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    +1

I let them ripen on the counter, no direct sunlight. Then quarter and freeze for making sauce. Just can't let even a single one go to waste.

This year's experiment: brought two renegade plants inside and put in pots, S facing windows... plants look good and actually throwing a couple fruits!
    Keep us posted on how that pans out.

Google ripen tomatoes paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Google ripen tomatoes paper bag.
    They ripen that way but taste like the shit roma tomatoes from the store. Best to use them for green salsas or fry them IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	901B5C1B-6421-4536-9E27-782658188E1F.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	296318

Damn, photo got rotated. That’s sunlight from the left not flash from bottom frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Damn, photo got rotated. That’s sunlight from the left not flash from bottom frame.
    Like this?

Name:	Tomato.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	502.0 KB 
ID:	296321
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Yes much better

Got 3 cu yds of compost worked into the garden and the garlic is planted. Need a couple of straw bales to put down on top now.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Got 3 cu yds of compost worked into the garden and the garlic is planted. Need a couple of straw bales to put down on top now.
    Garlic is planned for this weekend. I wasn't particularly interested about planting what I was calling a low-value crop since I didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference between store-bought and home-grow. Turns out I was way wrong...

Made a large batch of not-so-verde chile verde yesterday, chile rojo I guess, using all the over-ripe stuff we haven't processed yet: red poblanos, red anaheims, red adjvarski, red bells, and my new favorite, red jalapenos. Only the tomatillos were green. Still looks acceptable:

Name:	IMG_20191014_194319.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	297917

In other news, red jalapenos lose a lot of spice, their smell doesn't change, and they gain a great sweet flavor. I might let the other ones redden then ferment them and see what kind of sauce I get out of them.

My 3 vines did really well this year with about 20lbs of grapes, which came out to 1.5 gallons of juice, not bad at all. So I made up one fermenter just with grape juice and another with a grape and flower cordial mix. It's only the second time I've made wine, but I planted alot more vines in the spring, corse i'om 'edgein' genst global warmin'

One of the great things about garlic is it will develop its own unique flavor in your soil conditions.
    watch out for snakes

First batch of sweet potatoes dug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    First batch of sweet potatoes dug.

One nice thing about living were you do - homegrown sweet potatoes!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

that's probably only around 20% of what I planted too. I was eating the 2018 crop until May this year. They store really well in the basement.

Still getting brocolli, onions, lettuce, and radishes, peas are still alive but frost burned here and there.

Name:	2287EFEC-8B9E-413F-96C9-A63FD089664C.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	732.6 KB 
ID:	298813

Feel pretty good about the season, started with grass\weeds and a dead tree.

Name:	34831A9D-C6B2-480A-852A-0882EA81A06C.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	298814

Got rid of the dead tree.

Name:	87E76FB2-F7AF-41EE-9BDC-96C0C785E1F3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	864.6 KB 
ID:	298815

Made three 4x8 boxes, one 4x4, and almost have my magnum opus of an L-shaped 16 foot on each leg constructed.

Name:	D5DD3531-47C5-4519-BCDC-E61AF9DB4E32.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	298816

I’ve got two yards of blacken your hands while moving dirt to put into it. Next year should be good.

Way to make use of the space. That broccoli looks serious, I've never managed to grow any decent ones, it always gets too hot and they get stunted. I should try fall planting...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Way to make use of the space. That broccoli looks serious, I've never managed to grow any decent ones, it always gets too hot and they get stunted. I should try fall planting...
    Thx, I planted it in early May, it never headed up and I just kept letting it grow. I almost pulled it out numerous times as they’d become large and were shading my beets and beans. As soon as it started getting cooler this fall most of it started heading up, luckily on a staggered basis, still have a couple plants just starting to head.

I’m really looking forward to this new bed next year. Putting down a layer of leaves, then six inches of rich black soil, and then two inches of compost. I’m hoping this layer technique with no tilling of the undersoil wakes everything up nicely.

Hopefully this spring I can enlist SFB to help me install a drip system. This season I had problems with squash bugs and then aphids at the end, also developed some powdery mildew on my cucumbers and squash. I’m hoping a switch to drip will soften some of those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Thx, I planted it in early May, it never headed up and I just kept letting it grow. I almost pulled it out numerous times as they’d become large and were shading my beets and beans. As soon as it started getting cooler this fall most of it started heading up, luckily on a staggered basis, still have a couple plants just starting to head.

I’m really looking forward to this new bed next year. Putting down a layer of leaves, then six inches of rich black soil, and then two inches of compost. I’m hoping this layer technique with no tilling of the undersoil wakes everything up nicely.

Hopefully this spring I can enlist SFB to help me install a drip system. This season I had problems with squash bugs and then aphids at the end, also developed some powdery mildew on my cucumbers and squash. I’m hoping a switch to drip will soften some of those problems.
    maybe in your colder climate this won't be a problem, but squash bugs usually recur for me. I have to move my cuciburts from place to place year to year or the bugs just get worse every year.

I've always done drip irrigation and deal powdery mildew every season. It doesn't seem to affect the plant seriously until the very end of the season when it finally starts killing entire branches. Squash bugs I've never seen, aphids were a nightmare the 2 years I planted cabbage.
    Drip is definitely the way to go for watering efficiency though. It's a PITA to setup but once it's done I only check it once a week to make sure the heads haven't popped off. The ground below the tomato plants is still cool and moist 48 hours after watering even in the middle of July.

We've struggled with powdery mildew. Due to space, our summer squash, zucchini and the like are in pots, with drip irrigation. We have just changed seed and seed source each year until we get resistant strains, then work to recover that seed, which works for a few years. Like above, it doesn't usually affect the fruit, but does impact overall yield, especially in the later season.

Great confined garden spaces all! I grew up with industrial large scale farming, but it is amazing what we can produce with just a subdivision lot within town.

Took today off to finish up that bed, the last three stakes I had to sink were a bitch, rocky stoney layer about six inches down I had to chip through. Then moved two yards of dirt from my truck to the box, I’m fucking whooped tonight and glad I had an edible to dull the pain.

Name:	99A92189-C095-479E-8CDE-53CF03361D46.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	299392

Looking good!

Noob question. Is there anything I can do in the fall to reduce the amount of random plants that come up each summer in my main veg garden?

This area usually just has tomatoes and peppers. I've removed them now that we're getting frost, and tried pulling up the random unwanted stuff but I know I'm not getting all the roots. Was planning on adding compost and turning but I'm afraid to spread this stuff around.

Is there anything I can do or just ignore it and live with it. It's not a big deal, just looks shitty by late summer and I suppose is stealing nutrients that could be used for making vegetables.

What's coming up? Local colonizers like grass/plantains/etc, or are they parsley/dill/spinach that self seed (especially when they get put into the compost)? I just weed them out from the more sensitive crops, or let them get big enough for a small harvest. In the fall, with just raised beds, I put some ground cloth (leftover geotextile from road projects) to cover and keep the soil seed and germination free until spring plant.
    But self serving colonizers, good and not so good, will always be back.