. . .

Skip to 17:25

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

JH Central couloir snowblade?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That dude looks familiar
    Sharif
    recall he also lived in one of the on-mountain teepees for a whole season a few yrs ago lol

edit: i beg your pardon- according to the article below it was several seasons in the teepee
    Last edited by b-bear; 03-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    skid luxury

- here's a little snippet about sharif from one of the local JH mags too- he is an awesome JH classic

In Sharif Zawaideh’s world, his only workday during winter is Monday. So his ski bumming isn’t technically skiing all day, every day, but it’s not too shabby an evolution from the 12 years during which he did ski all day, every day. “It’s tough not being a full-time ski bum anymore. I miss all the party days, and spring skiing. And the less I ski every season, the less I feel on my A-game,” he says. “But then the rest of the year, I do other things with my life which also make me happy, and it’s nice to know that I could support a family.

In 2014, Zawaideh founded Global Operations and Logistics, an event management company with clients including festivals like Bonaroo and Burning Man. For nine months of the year he works full-time. But for three months every winter, it’s Mondays only; he deals with the rest of his work via phone while riding the bus, the tram, or anywhere there happens to be cell service. While skiing full-time three months a year is a dream for many, it is a step down for those who know better. “If I could change anything, maybe I’d have [full-time] ski bummed for a little longer,” Zawaideh says. “Now, if I miss a powder day because some conference call happened to be scheduled, it still eats away at my soul.”

Seattle-born and raised in a family of nonskiing Jordanian immigrants, Zawaideh was introduced to the sport thanks to a bare-bones weekend kid’s program at Alpental. He was hardly obsessed, but, post-college and unsure of his next steps, he moved to Jackson to meet up with a friend and take a couple of months to figure out his future. Three ski seasons later, during each of which he skied 120 days, Zawaideh was far from the clueless, mediocre skier he’d been when he arrived, and he was totally hooked on the sport and lifestyle.

Zawaideh’s story is one of ski bum lore. Over his 16 winters in Jackson Hole, he spent some in conventional housing, others in hovels with no running water, and even four winters living outside. During the latter, he creatively linked up places to shower and eat; nights were spent in a sleeping bag in an MSS teepee at the base of JHMR. (He was up and out by 6 a.m. every morning.) “One morning, I woke up in a 16-inch snowdrift. I’d be first in the tram line. I’d ski all day,” he says. “It wasn’t just about money. It was a bit meditative, and that first winter I found I enjoyed sleeping in uncomfortable places, and learning to be really minimalist in my needs. The next season I came back to town with a minus-20-degree bag and moved back into the teepee. I think the resort knew, but they ignored it.” By the fourth winter, Sharif says the teepee became lonely; he moved indoors for 2011-12, and now, in 2018, the 38-year-old says he has become a “boring old working man.”

Good ski bums are opportunists, and when the opportunity to make money—a lot of it—in the summer came along by accident, Zawaideh seized it. He had volunteered at a small music festival in Washington, found he was skilled with the logistics of it—and enjoyed doing them—and doors began opening, culminating in him founding Global Operations and Logistics.

Nowadays, Zawaideh rents a small suite at a Jackson hotel for the winter. He’s done well enough with his company that he’s in the market for a local house. As far as the state of ski bums that came after him? “It’s more bougie here now, it’s definitely no longer the Wild West. It certainly doesn’t seem like people are living above garages, or in sheds anymore. But ski bums are a very resilient species.”
    skid luxury

I thought I saw Skijunky skied "looking into central" or whatever that line is called? Those are his track visible when the guy ski base jumped it?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I thought I saw Skijunky skied "looking into central" or whatever that line is called? Those are his track visible when the guy ski base jumped it?
    Yes. Talk is cheap is the name
    . . .

Recent talk is cheap BASE jump video
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...ay-in-jackson/
    Somebody looking to make money in the gear industry might make a selfie stick with an ice axe pick.

Yes. Talk is cheap is the name
    Right on. I didn't know if the line had a slightly different name if you ski based it vs dropping into central.

Progression is pretty amazing. When I moved there in '89 it apparently had only been skied a handful of times...so we were told anyway. At that point, it started getting skied a bit more, but ob was still closed until spring, so it wasn't always good to go.