Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    A snowball's chance in hell.

Low(ish) base elevation, southern exposure, no real population close by (1:30 or longer from Nelson or Castlegar - plus why choose this over WH2O or Red?).

It's a long drive from Vancouver or Calgary or Spokane (passing lots of ski areas along the way) and CYCG is notoriously unreliable.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn’t have sold my house in ND after all.

Seriously though, the road between ND and 3 forks sucks under heavy snow. If you drive it in the summer, you can see every sharp corner still has remnants of avy debris on it.

The access road looks like it joins up to the back road around Bear Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I read this as "Zitcoin" and thought it was some new blockchain offering.

Interesting. Lot's of mine roads zig zagging all over the place up there. Should be no problem for access for putting lift towers and maintenance, just a little bulldozing and cutting and it's set.

I almost managed to get myself lost up there after my wife dropped me off at the "trailhead" near Sandon, all I remember is the trail was on the south side of the creek and that's where I stayed. I followed some sort of trail down past a whole bunch of old mining ruins and took a wrong turn down to a somewhat active mine site only to retrace my tracks and find that the trail went up and left and not down and right. The mine site was kind of interesting, but I didn't poke around much at all into the adit mostly because there was a air engine at the entrance and some sort of critter quickly retreated to the depths of the mine as I showed up.

254+ homes/cabins seems like both alot and alittle. Alot of units to sell. And at full occupancy that's 1-2,000 people? That seems like alot for a 1 or 2 chairlift mountain without a lodge. But at the same time that seems like too few people - especially at nonpeak occupancy - to support reasonable commercial services in any kind of a "mountain village". At least with anything below Yellowstone Club price of admission. Curious how this plays out.

And when those lifts are sold off to established ski areas (assuming they even get built in the first place) those property values fall back to nothing.

Looks like this is still moving forward: https://www.revelstokereview.com/new...ar-new-denver/

At least the Valhalla Pure Outfitters in ND will start carrying some ski stuff.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

the small ski maker/ former VP guy from Smithers sold his house & shop is going there to be part of it

so there will be a small ski maker/ bike guy in Zincton

apparently the mtn biking is good,

had diner with the guy last fall
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Ha. Sounds like the proposal has some cash behind it given the founder of Valhalla is behind it eh? Sounds like a cool idea, but as others have noted, and I agree - it's a tough go for a ski hill anywhere.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    my buddy was a VP dealer he told me the VP in nelson sold a lot of gear for cash back when people had too much money that needed to be spent somehow

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    my buddy was a VP dealer he told me the VP in nelson sold a lot of gear for cash back when people had too much money that needed to be spent somehow
    lot's of houses, cars, trucks and even the odd airplane sold for cash BITD...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

apparently the mtn biking is good
    There might be more money in it too. And it's a way easier drive in the summer.

any way the Paranormal guy sold his house & shop to another buddy so he is suposed to be done with smithers, should be headed to Zincton but that was all pre-covid so now I got no idea watsup but he was headed to Zincton to make skis and I wish him well.

buddy has been custom building skis for I'm thinking pretty close to 10 yrs, James makes good skis that stay together, my buddy the former VP dealer really liked skiing them

When I took that well known ski maven Lee Lau for a tour he said " The man is an artist he will never make any money ! " but i think Lee was just trying to go short or long or sft eh

Spent a few days in early Jan touring.
    Tree skiing, didn't get in to the alpine with the weather.

Couldn't be bothered much with the 'ski area' but using it as a bump to get to the big faces of Whitewater and Brennan would be great-1300-1500m N faces.
    Was drooling over 700-1000m W ridges of Brennan too when we got peeks at it.

S face is an easy summer ski too, ya could be on that right now, and for weeks to come.

One problem ya could encounter until any development-no designated AC communication from BC Highways.
    We were out one day in the drainage when Heli bombing started above us.
    Never been so rattled-more shuddering bigger charges than any resort bombing I've been near.
    Guess ya just gotta expect it, having just come from Rogers pass it was a surprise.
    Our local host did say they quite often contact her or look for cars on the highway or tracks but we had neither visible.

London Ridge biking looks sick.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Brennan shrouded in clouds, ya can see the potential

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8322.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	781.2 KB 
ID:	330254

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    lot's of houses, cars, trucks and even the odd airplane sold for cash BITD...
    BITD, dentists and lawyers in the area even accepted product, over the dirty US currency that was in everyone's pocket. That was the real rub, getting that yankee greenback traded without raising suspicions. The big business guys tried to bring back handguns, coke, or smack as much as possible to ease the currency swap woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Spent a few days in early Jan touring.
    Tree skiing, didn't get in to the alpine with the weather.

Couldn't be bothered much with the 'ski area' but using it as a bump to get to the big faces of Whitewater and Brennan would be great-1300-1500m N faces.
    Was drooling over 700-1000m W ridges of Brennan too when we got peeks at it.

S face is an easy summer ski too, ya could be on that right now, and for weeks to come.

One problem ya could encounter until any development-no designated AC communication from BC Highways.
    We were out one day in the drainage when Heli bombing started above us.
    Never been so rattled-more shuddering bigger charges than any resort bombing I've been near.
    Guess ya just gotta expect it, having just come from Rogers pass it was a surprise.
    Our local host did say they quite often contact her or look for cars on the highway or tracks but we had neither visible.

London Ridge biking looks sick.
    Used to love driving up to old Fitchett's cabin on Bear Lk, and head up the old mine road into London Ridge for the day. Such gorgeous country and conditions. And no one there but old freeheel hippies back then. And the odd boarder with misery slippers. If the conditions on the slopes were too gnarly, drill and hole and bring home a couple fish instead. Fond memories.

Zincton Permitting

HI

Zincton received their preliminary permit and is now assembling a master plan. For some reason this site won't accept full urls, but you can go to the Nelson Star dot com/news/zincton-gets-go-ahead-for-next-stage-of-resort-planning/

Also David Harley, the guy behind it has started posting more information and maps on the zincton dot com website via their instagram account.

Name:	logger.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	386.7 KB 
ID:	367595

Name:	logger2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	367596

Name:	logger3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	367597
    Beetle kill mitigation up on the pass. Where there was heavily treed slop too thick to ski now dozens of lines

Zincton Interview

David Harley was interviewed on Powder Canada. Read it at Powder Canada.

The Master Plan should be out early this summer. They've added a non-commercial wildlife corridor to protect the grizzlies and are taking all the mountain biking out of the alpine.

The Village will be on private land, already owned by Harley, so it's not really part of the application and that should help along. No land is being given to the developer, so that's one less issue to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by tkl View Post
    non-commercial wildlife corridor to protect the grizzlies and are taking all the mountain biking out of the alpine.
    But alpine riding will be continuing across the street at Retallack....I'm not against alpine riding, and think this is kinda one of those sounds good but probably doesn't actually do much.

How will they compete with Summit Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    How will they compete with Summit Lake?
    Teh gnar of Nakusp!!