Which sled for sled skiing in Tahoe: Ski-Doo Summit SP vs X vs Polaris RMK Pro?

Which sled should I get for sled skiing in Tahoe?

I was debating between a Summit X or an RMK Pro, but I just got off the phone with the Ski-Doo dealer who told me the Summit SP with the 850 is more than good enough for accessing ski lines, and that the Summit X is mostly pointless unless you are an expert rider who wants to jump.

He said tandeming on the SP is no problem and I can even get it with two seats if I want.

Ski-Doo vs Polaris?

What is easier to ride? I'm a total beginner. I've got every day of the season to learn.

I like the idea of the two seater. That’s a no brainer!

Unless you're going to be sledding on a flat road every time, two seats are worthless. Even then, really. The Doo and the Polaris are both great sleds. Doo is better for beginners, and people who buy sleds just to go skiing, because they have far better cooling and the SHOT starter, and they also have a better overall reputation for reliability. Polaris is the better sled for experts. I'd get the SP over the X if you're buying a Doo. And if so, buy it now and save yourself around $3K. Saw a 154 850 SP at my dealer last friday for under $10k (no shot though).

^^ Was just talking to a buddy about this the other day and he said the exact same - Polaris is better for experts, Doo for beginners.

Skidoo is better for sled skiing. Tandem is easy and stable. RMK is a boondocking weapon.

Agreed get it now. Best prices of the season.

Even stock suspension on the SP is nice. 850 motor and gen4 chassis is better than you'll likely ever be if just starting. It is a total game changer.

Both machines are good and will do fine tandeming. Do not get a two up seat unless you are planning to go drink wine in the BC with your girlfriend. If you're smart, you are spending time on your road and any modern sled will get you to the top. I would suggest buying the sled you want to sled on. Like every skier who is getting started, you are buying for sled skiing but you will evolve into a sledder given enough time. Once you learn to ride, sledding is as fun (or more) than skiing and you are going to probably split your time between the two.
    The G4 doo is easy to ride, has a great fit and finish, and awesome power. The first year (17) had some issues with the motor mounts and clutch and a moderate percentage eat belts. The 18 and 19 seem to be doing better. If you aren't experienced wrenching on sleds, having a good dealer nearby is an important factor. For doo, everyone goes to Tom's in Sierra City and for good reason. He has one of the best shops in the country.
    The poo is a scalpel in technical riding situations and better suited to those that want to progress their mountain riding skills beyond the intermediate level. The 800 has been around forever and is reasonably reliable. The 850 has some issues which are supposedly being corrected for the 2020 model. Rent a sled video and 90% of the riders will be on a pro. There is a reason for this.
    Given all that, you may want to throw the cat in the mix. The 18 and up mountain sleds are amazing machines. I have an 18 mountain cat and couldn't be happier. 1400 trouble free miles, it tandems great, and crushes technical riding in the mountains. The ctec puts out awesome power and the cat has the best 3" track of the three. Also, the clutching is fantastic out of the box.
    All of this is imo of course. I've been using my sled for skiing for about 10 years and we have all three manufactures in our riding group. If you get something newish, you really can't go wrong. They all are very capable.
    Best of luck!
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

When we see 2 guys on the seat of a snowmobile together, we call it homobiling. NTTIAWWT.
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_24b1.jpeg
Views: 2246
Size:  52.0 KB

If you go with a skidoo, between SP and X doesn’t much matter for sledskiing. Get whatever is the best deal. But getting a 165 or 175 track will make life easier and get you in to more spots than the shorter ones.
    Get a good rack. Something like a CFR rack.

You guys fuckin rock. Any reasons not to go with the 175 track on the SP? Seems like a great way to never get stuck.

175 is a killer road builder. There is a sticker on the tunnel warning against bags after a certain point along it. That tells us the tunnel is a little too fragile for loading up with boards and bags. Bending a tunnel is real bad.

165 is perfect

Enticer
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    175 is a killer road builder. There is a sticker on the tunnel warning against bags after a certain point along it. That tells us the tunnel is a little too fragile for loading up with boards and bags. Bending a tunnel is real bad.

165 is perfect
    It’s not any more fragile. It’s just about leverage and it’s just as strong up until that marked point.
    Either one though... get the HD rear bumper to help strengthen the tunnel.