Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I found myself at the last 2 Dead shows ever at the world famous Richfield Coliseum - front row nonetheless right in front of Jerry as a young lad (my tennis coach was a massive fan, his brother was head of security, and we had the kind in those days), apparently a favorite venue of the band, situated on the west rim of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park...

No, I was at the last 2 dead shows ever. In Chicago 1995.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    The only era that definitively sucked was the Vince days. Saw them with Brent, Hornsby and Vince and Vince truly brought them down a notch. One could draw a lot of parallels between the Dead and TGR.
    WUT

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    fify

The grateful dead never jumped the shark, but I did get a little down on the faux deadheads towards the end.
    Like Ann Coulter?

Name:  IMG_3029.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  92.9 KB

Or Tucker Carlson?

Name:  IMG_3030.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  219.3 KB

They shoulda definitely gone with Motorhead.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Like Ann Coulter?
    Idk.. ask bigdaddy

But while fans mourned the end of the band’s 30-year run, the final show heralded another milestone: a steep decline in the use of LSD, which still hasn’t bounced back. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent—who ostensibly went to great tie-dyed lengths to blend in with what TIME estimated, in 1985, to be between 10,000 and 37,351 devoted Deadheads—discovered that, without the shows to bring acid users and their dealers together, the supply chain became irrevocably severed, per Slate. “Phish picked up part of the Dead’s fan base—and presumably vestiges of the LSD delivery system,” Ryan Grim, who later wrote a book on drug culture in America, wrote for the site in 2004. “At the end of 2000, Phish stopped touring as well, and perhaps not coincidentally, [reported LSD use] began to plummet.”
    . . .

That's a damn shame
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But while fans mourned the end of the band’s 30-year run, the final show heralded another milestone: a steep decline in the use of LSD, which still hasn’t bounced back. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent—who ostensibly went to great tie-dyed lengths to blend in with what TIME estimated, in 1985, to be between 10,000 and 37,351 devoted Deadheads—discovered that, without the shows to bring acid users and their dealers together, the supply chain became irrevocably severed, per Slate. “Phish picked up part of the Dead’s fan base—and presumably vestiges of the LSD delivery system,” Ryan Grim, who later wrote a book on drug culture in America, wrote for the site in 2004. “At the end of 2000, Phish stopped touring as well, and perhaps not coincidentally, [reported LSD use] began to plummet.”
    And here I thought it plummeted because I stopped tripping in '99, and people thought it wasn't cool anymore.

What that blurb doesn't mention, was that the DEA had been building cases on lot dealers and suppliers for years, had flipped many to be informants, and many key members of the supply chain were busted in the early '90s, and given significant prison terms. This came down in a short period of time, and lead to great paranoia among tour-heads, even those who were no longer touring.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    The only era that definitively sucked was the Vince days. Saw them with Brent, Hornsby and Vince and Vince truly brought them down a notch.
    For the shows I actually saw I agree. Vince was the worst of the 3. However, when you include the archive I have but three words, well names, for you:

Donna Jean Godchaux

But there was intermittent bouts of suckage all through the eighties, and I mean above and beyond 'they had an off night'. There are gems in the early eighties but there is some drugged out bullsh*t as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    But there was intermittent bouts of suckle all through the eighties, and I mean above and beyond 'they had an off night'. There are gems in the early eighties but there is some drugged out bullsh*t as well.
    well a lot of us had some hard times in the '80's.

I still like "change for a miracle?" from earlier in the thread.

hatchgreenchile told me about bumber sticker he saw once.

jerry is dead
    phish sucks
    get a job

I want it, fits my humor profile

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I still like "change for a miracle?" from earlier in the thread.
    well, in true shakedown style, we should make a run of lot shirts, mag style.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    I would wear that. Proudly.

I found myself at the last 2 Dead shows ever at the world famous Richfield Coliseum
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    No, I was at the last 2 dead shows ever. In Chicago 1995.
    Yes you were, and I was at the last 2 at the world famous Richfield Coliseum, March 19 & 20, 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    And here I thought it plummeted because I stopped tripping in '99, and people thought it wasn't cool anymore.

What that blurb doesn't mention, was that the DEA had been building cases on lot dealers and suppliers for years, had flipped many to be informants, and many key members of the supply chain were busted in the early '90s, and given significant prison terms. This came down in a short period of time, and lead to great paranoia among tour-heads, even those who were no longer touring.
    Best friend from HS fell victim to this crazy sweep his freshman year in college in the late 90s. 2 years manditory minimum on distribution charges just for having books (implied intent to distribute) when homeboy one peg up rolled on him. No one even knew it was really even a thing anymore by that time.

Even crazier was that his dad worked in the Governor's office at the time and that earned him exactly fuck all when it all shook out.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    For the shows I actually saw I agree. Vince was the worst of the 3. However, when you include the archive I have but three words, well names, for you:

Donna Jean Godchaux
    Fucking touche.

Best friend from HS fell victim to this crazy sweep his freshman year in college in the late 90s.
    Ummmm are you talking about Kevin?

“World famous Richfield coliseum”
    We were at many of the same shows, I’m certain.

I skied a ton of Boston Mills from 1988–1995.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    I would wear that. Proudly.
    yo splat we need some shirts made

My brother's rommate at ole Miss went down hard in '86 or so in the deadhead-connected acid business, ended up "picking beans on Parchman Farm" for a number of years despite having big in-state political and family connections, that wasn't good.

PS: I’m pretty sure Jerry (and the rest of the boys) were ALL ABOUT Grateful Dead Marketing.

GDM + TGR? I’d guess none of the surviving members give a fuck about marketing a steal your face or a dancing bear if they are getting a check from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    PS: I’m pretty sure Jerry (and the rest of the boys) were ALL ABOUT Grateful Dead Marketing.
    I mean there's a book about it. pretty decent business book from what I hear at least

https://www.amazon.com/Marketing-Les...gateway&sr=8-1

The Grateful Dead played their last concerts at Soldier Field July 3rd, 4th and 5th 2015 with Trey filling in for Jerry. Come at me bro.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Ummmm are you talking about Kevin?

“World famous Richfield coliseum”
    We were at many of the same shows, I’m certain.

I skied a ton of Boston Mills from 1988–1995.
    Ha! Pm sent.
    I still call it The Jake.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Young man, I was watching the dead on sunshine before you were a nasty thought in your daddy's head.

I was pretty much there for the easy girls picking grapes.
    was this before corporate cube life sucked your soul
    and mrs. profane taking half the money and all the pussy
    and becoming our resident curmagudean myopic oscar the grouch local?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    The Grateful Dead played their last concerts at Soldier Field July 3rd, 4th and 5th 2015 with Trey filling in for Jerry. Come at me bro.

The Grateful Dead ended in August 95. Trey, Mayer, Haynes, etc sitting in with the remaining members is what it is but it aint the Dead.
    Move on, good run, good times. good faded memories.