Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Not impressed.
    Thank you for that biting, detailed analysis

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Jazz dance is ass kicking goodness, said no one ever. Jesus dude, take a lap.

There was a couple of scenes in Dune that I thought were pretty awesome. The scene on the warrior planet, when the dude is doing the voice as the army is being anointed with the blood from those poor bastards was killer. I also thought the scene with the Emperor recovering in the vat of oil and balsamic vinegar was pretty cool.
    That wasn't the Emperor, you malignant mangrove.

The fat shit, is that better?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Dune Part II slated for October 2023.
    DV says theatrical window non-negotiable

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/de...234675222/amp/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Holy shit I loved this movie. Easily the best movie I've seen in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Where can I get some spice?
    DMT seems to be the closest parallel. It allows it's user to travel vast distances through space and time, but it is doesn't currently seem possible for humans who use it to control what places they end up popping into in the multiverse.
    Last edited by Kevo; 10-31-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Holy shit I loved this movie. Easily the best movie I've seen in years.
    Saw it on the local IMAX last night. Holy fucking shitballs that was the best I've seen in a very long time. An action epic that actually allowed time and space for the audience to process and characters to develop. VFX that fit the artwork and world, not shiny and sleek but beat up, weathered, and appropriate.

The harvester scene was perfectly executed. Completely plausible as a matter of routine while perfectly setting up the sheer scale of things (at least on the 5 story screen it was impressive as all hell). And if you're not experiencing the force of the voice at 105db with some 22" subs rattling your chest, you just won't understand. The voice compelled the entire audience and was not ignored.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Planning to go see this anyway, but I do have a question. So this will only be part 1 of a 2 part movie? So where do they end up in part 1? Is it only halfway through the Lynch movie? No sand worm riding? No atomics blasting a hole in the shield wall? No knife fight with Sting? No “I WILL kill him!” No… well you get the idea.

I guess I’m the only one who LIKED the Lynch version, and watched it a gazillion times. This one better be good, or else.

This is defiantly a part one. Nothing is resolved at all.

Are we still trying to stay spoiler free?
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Saw it on the local IMAX last night. Holy fucking shitballs that was the best I've seen in a very long time. An action epic that actually allowed time and space for the audience to process and characters to develop. VFX that fit the artwork and world, not shiny and sleek but beat up, weathered, and appropriate.

The harvester scene was perfectly executed. Completely plausible as a matter of routine while perfectly setting up the sheer scale of things (at least on the 5 story screen it was impressive as all hell). And if you're not experiencing the force of the voice at 105db with some 22" subs rattling your chest, you just won't understand. The voice compelled the entire audience and was not ignored.
    I've seen this twice now in our local small theater (it was even better the second time). I would LOVE to see this in IMAX so that I got the full effect of both the visuals and the sound. However, the closest one is 2 hours away and I just don't have the time to make that trip.
    I did buy the soundtrack that I've been shaking my office with.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

This is defiantly a part one. Nothing is resolved at all.

I told my wife going into this that the end of the movie leaves almost nothing resolved. The director took a huge chance on making the first half of a movie with hopes that the response would be good enough to get the second one approved. I told her that she'll have to wait a couple years to see how it plays out (or read the book) . She was still like "WTF, it ends there?" when the credits started rolling.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I told her that she'll have to wait a couple years to see how it plays out (or read the book) . She was still like "WTF, it ends there?" when the credits started rolling.
    I read the book and the same thoughts crossed my mind when it ended. I would have watched a 5-6 hour long movie.

Nah. The book came out over half a century ago. If someone doesn't know the plot by now, that's kind of on them. Haha. I still haven't seen the new one yet, but don't let that stop you from talking about it. DYING to watch it at one of the local IMAX's, but dad life be cramping my style. "Spoil" away!

I watched the movie in my local theater this past weekend. I haven't read the book(s) and haven't seen the previous movie or series on Sci Fi. I did have some very vague ideas about plot from talking to fans of the books, but went into the movie fairly "blind". I really enjoyed the movie. I like action flicks, but wasn't disappointed with the large amounts of time between the action scenes. I thought the movie really built the world well.

I'm also a big fan of martial arts particularly FMA as Modern Arnis is one of the styles I train. The training scene between Paul and Gurney made me smile. I immediately recognized the movements and can relate. When we train full contact we wear body armor and use rattan sticks instead of blades, but the the techniques they used were great.

I'm looking forward to part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Planning to go see this anyway, but I do have a question. So this will only be part 1 of a 2 part movie? So where do they end up in part 1? Is it only halfway through the Lynch movie? No sand worm riding? No atomics blasting a hole in the shield wall? No knife fight with Sting? No “I WILL kill him!” No… well you get the idea.

I guess I’m the only one who LIKED the Lynch version, and watched it a gazillion times. This one better be good, or else.
    It's half of the book as it should be at a bare minimum. I liked Lynchs Dune but it feels like a B movie compared to this. This is truer to the book which is a great thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I hate over produced sword fighting scene’s,
    this is probably more up your alley then... less production.

My prediction: Sting will make cameo appearance in the second part.

Could humans actually live on Arrakis?

https://phys.org/news/2021-11-dune-s...kis-humans.amp

Glad that was my first movie in two years. I loved it. Up there with Blade Runner for sure. Definitely worth seeing in the theater. For there not being a ton of action, it never felt slow. Looking forward to part two.

Finally watched this. Was really looking forward to it based on Blade Runner 2049, which I thought was great.

It's visually stunning, but darkly lit in several important scenes, which made me think of that bad Game of Thrones episode where it was mostly a massive battle in the dark and you couldn't tell what was going on.

I rate it a B-, maybe B. Just didn't grab my attention enough. I think I had really high expectations and they weren't met.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I also finally got around to watching it last night. Damn near perfect film, IMO. Certainly one of the best of my lifetime. Sure, I have a few quibbles, but overall I walked away thoroughly satisfied. I do think that the experience is helped by watching it at a GOOD screen. Place I went to had some hot new 4K projector and the sound cranked to 11. You could FEEL the wings of the ornithopters fluttering in your guts. Freaking epic.

I loved so much about it I just don't even know where to begin. Bravo, Villeneuve. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    It's visually stunning, but darkly lit in several important scenes, which made me think of that bad Game of Thrones episode where it was mostly a massive battle in the dark and you couldn't tell what was going on.
    I think that boils down to the projector/screen. Kind of like that GoT episode, you REALLY need something HDR/DolbyVision/etc capable to see WTF is going on. Bummer you didn't get the same experience I did. I know what scenes you're talking about, and I can tell it really does take a projector with REALLY good dynamics to pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I think that boils down to the projector/screen. Kind of like that GoT episode, you REALLY need something HDR/DolbyVision/etc capable to see WTF is going on. Bummer you didn't get the same experience I did. I know what scenes you're talking about, and I can tell it really does take a projector with REALLY good dynamics to pull that off.
    70" TV at home, 5.1 sound, dark room.

Battle scenes in the dark usually suggest that it's just a cheaper way to hide the fight (Netflix's Daredevil show) or less detailed CGI. But nothing about Dune suggested they were trying to save money on effects, so I think it's what the director wanted.

Thinking about it more, the acting performances just didn't involve me. YMMV... other than Oscar Isaac and the ecologist woman, they were all one dimensional performances.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    70" TV at home, 5.1 sound, dark room.
    Yeah. Streaming via HBO, though. NOT the same as what you get with 4K Blu-Ray or in this case, the studio's theater copies in all their full bit-rate glory. Those files are usually somewhere around 100-200GB+. No matter how good you think streaming can look, what you watched at home got compressed, stripped, sliced and diced to shove it through the internet pipes efficiently. Don't get me strong. Streaming quality can often be quite acceptable, but the biggest downside is that usually dark scenes are the first thing to suffer. Crushed darks, macroblocking, banding, etc.

When it's released on 4K blu-ray, assuming you have a proper HDR10/DV display + stereo gear that can passthrough said data, go re-watch it and see if it's still just as unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yeah. Streaming via HBO, though. NOT the same as what you get with 4K Blu-Ray or in this case, the studio's theater copies in all their full bit-rate glory. Those files are usually somewhere around 100-200GB+. No matter how good you think streaming can look, what you watched at home got compressed, stripped, sliced and diced to shove it through the internet pipes efficiently. Don't get me strong. Streaming quality can often be quite acceptable, but the biggest downside is that usually dark scenes are the first thing to suffer. Crushed darks, macroblocking, banding, etc.

When it's released on 4K blu-ray, assuming you have a proper HDR10/DV display + stereo gear that can passthrough said data, go re-watch it and see if it's still just as unacceptable.
    I really hate my older Visio TV for that "dark scenes" reason. That TV struggles with the darkness and actually seems to make it even darker to the point where I can only see some basic movement. The newer TV we have is somewhat better but a higher end flat screen may adapt better and automatically lighten the scenes. I'm going to investigate that quality before purchasing another flat screen.