Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Curious...
    Can you elaborate?
    Bladerunner was amazingly well done - better than the original I thought.

This just seemed rather flat. There were points where it looked like it hadn't been edited or framed well.

Maybe it's just not possible to make a good film of such a complex story.

Certainly didn't leave me anxious to see the next one. Although I haven't seen the original in a long while I recall it being better than this.

I see it's getting mostly good reviews in the media... perhaps it's just me. (watched at home on a big TV with good surround sound)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Wait ..... you think the Lynch version was better than the current one?!?!?
    Explain yourself, Sir!

it was fucking great.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Bladerunner was amazingly well done - better than the original I thought.

This just seemed rather flat. There were points where it looked like it hadn't been edited or framed well.

Maybe it's just not possible to make a good film of such a complex story.

Certainly didn't leave me anxious to see the next one. Although I haven't seen the original in a long while I recall it being better than this.

I see it's getting mostly good reviews in the media... perhaps it's just me. (watched at home on a big TV with good surround sound)
    Same meh vibes here... Watching in the dark on 65" with surround 100 watts per channel in a small room and legit rear, sub, and center speakers. The sound is amazing.. I'll give props where due there for sure..
    I paused it with about 25 minutes remaining and haven't felt any urgent need to pick up back up to see how it ends.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

If you fools aren't seeing it at the theater, and streaming it no less, and saying it's "meh", then you're doing it wrong:
    Why Villeneuve’s Dune Has To Be Seen In IMAX
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bennyha...-seen-in-imax/

Just got boosted. Ready to go to see this - first movie since March 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Disney is evil. It's damn near everywhere, but I try and limit its influence as much as possible.
    Anything Disney (even most the sitcoms on Disney+) the kid(s) main character always have a dead parent.

We laugh at it now. It’s so ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is Lawrence of Arabia a great film in Cinerama... yep.

Is it a great film on a tablet?

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Nobody (of respectable repute) is comparing it favorably to LoA. If Lynch hadn't shit the bed previously, this would be a 3 out of five star film and we wouldn't be turning cartwheels i.e. in the big picture there are many movies that I would rate higher, but the universe has been righted and we are grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Is Lawrence of Arabia a great film in Cinerama... yep.

Is it a great film on a tablet?

Yep.
    As for “Lawrence,” after its glorious re-release in 70mm in 1989, it has returned again to video, where it crouches inside its box like a tall man in a low room. You can view it on video and get an idea of its story and a hint of its majesty, but to get thefeelingof Lean's masterpiece you need to somehow, somewhere, see it in 70mm on a big screen. This experience is on the short list of things that must be done during the lifetime of every lover of film.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...of-arabia-1962

L of A is an all-time favorite and as amazing as the cinematography is in the Dune it is almost all CGI which as good as it is can't replicate wide shots done on actual locations like Lawrence of Arabia . The movie had a muted blue filter to it and the desert was always hazy in the background but I am nitpicking . The scale of moving whole civilizations from one planet to another would be hard to convey and Dune in particular really would need to be at least a trilogy without major editing. There are some significant characters missing from the storyline. I haven't seen it brought up in this thread but a surrealist director spent millions of dollars of dollars and years trying to bring Dune to the big screen in the 70's and the documentary about it is fantastic. Jodorowskis Dune (streaming everywhere). He was more eccentric than Lynch but he was so fanatical and enthusiastic that he had David Carradine , Orson Wells, Mick Jagger,Salvador Dali, Pink Floyd for the soundtrack , had his 12 year old son train in martial arts for 2 years 8 hours a day 6 days a week to play Paul, and he picked all of these artists that were not in the movie business to do the storyboards and artwork that all later went on to win Academy awards for Aliens , Star Wars and other scifi movies. Its a great watch even if you are not into Dune .
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I watched about 1.5 hours last night. And finished it this morning. I enjoyed it but it really was stretched out

When it ended I said out loud. Are you fucking kidding me!
    It was just getting good
    I guess we are waiting for part two of the trilogy?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    As for “Lawrence,” after its glorious re-release in 70mm in 1989, it has returned again to video, where it crouches inside its box like a tall man in a low room. You can view it on video and get an idea of its story and a hint of its majesty, but to get thefeelingof Lean's masterpiece you need to somehow, somewhere, see it in 70mm on a big screen. This experience is on the short list of things that must be done during the lifetime of every lover of film.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...of-arabia-1962
    I saw that 1989 re-release at the Northpoint in SF. Drove up the 4 hours from college down in SLO to see it with my rents.
    People were dressed up like Lawrence; it was surreal and majestic (How many folks have been attending the IMAX screenings of Dune in full costumed regalia?)
    I have seen LoA at least one other time on the Big Screen (Cinemas TCM Classics). I would much rather see that film in a theater than stream it on my 48".

I pretty much feel that any film benefits from being seen on the Big Screen.
    I mean I first watched The Wild Bunch on VHS in HS. It blew my mind at the time. Yet, it was a totally different experience watching it on a cobbled together big screen in film class in college, and an even different (and superior) experience seeing it at the famous Castro Theatre in SF in 70mm.

Eagerly looking forward to seeing Dune next week...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    If you fools aren't seeing it at the theater, and streaming it no less, and saying it's "meh", then you're doing it wrong:
    Why Villeneuve’s Dune Has To Be Seen In IMAX
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bennyha...-seen-in-imax/
    Unless it's a movie that is awesome over and over and over it's "meh". That's not possible if it only works at IMAX..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Unless it's a movie that is awesome over and over and over it's "meh". That's not possible if it only works at IMAX..
    Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe that's true for dialogue heavy dramas, but for epic scale sci-fi or action films? There's just no getting around the fact that the experience can be completely transformative at a good cinema with the volume cranked to 11. Good example is Mad Max: Fury Road. Everyone I know who said it was "meh" streamed it at home. Everyone I know who saw it at the big screen thought it was one of the most mind blowingly awesome movie at the time.

“Legendary is pleased to officially move forward with Dune: Part Two…once again based on the amazing books written by Frank Herbert,” read the statement from Legendary announcing the sequel. “We would not have gotten to this point without the extraordinary vision of Denis and the amazing work of his talented crew, the writers, our stellar cast, our partners at Warner Bros., and of course the fans! Here’s to more Dune.”

“Denis Villeneuve has crafted a film that is both visually extraordinary and emotionally transporting, as evidenced by its global success both critically and at the box office,” Warner Bros. Chairman Toby Emmerich said in a statement. “We are thrilled to continue on this journey with Denis and his cast and crew, and our partners at Legendary, and can’t wait to bring the next chapter of this epic tale to theaters in October 2023.”

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe that's true for dialogue heavy dramas, but for epic scale sci-fi or action films? There's just no getting around the fact that the experience can be completely transformative at a good cinema with the volume cranked to 11. Good example is Mad Max: Fury Road. Everyone I know who said it was "meh" streamed it at home. Everyone I know who saw it at the big screen thought it was one of the most mind blowingly awesome movie at the time.
    I'm thinking back to Avatar here. Watched it recently at home with the kids on the 75" and it was meh. I remembered seeing it in IMAX back in the day and it was mindblowing.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    I'm thinking back to Avatar here. Watched it recently at home with the kids on the 75" and it was meh. I remembered seeing it in IMAX back in the day and it was mindblowing.
    Excellent example! The 3D tech was SSOOOOO good at the time. Film def hasn't aged that gracefully and translated even more poorly at home. Definitely one of those "you had to be there" moments in cinematic history. Haha.

The 3D tech was SSOOOOO good at the time.
    Only 3D movie I've seen where it didn't feel weird or gimmicky and I felt like I was in the movie the whole time.

Audiovisually the movie was fantastic.

But as someone who has never read the books or seen the originals, I spent the first hour trying to figure out what the fuck the story line was…

I’ve noticed that with a lot of these sci-fi and fantasy remakes and adaptations they do a poor job of setting the table in the beginning of the story. They expect the viewer to have some knowledge of the story and the characters going in. Its almost like the writers are gatekeeping so the sci-fi / fantasy dorks can have more enjoyment than the rest of us… I just want to be entertained without having to join the fan club….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    We saw that in the IMAX Christmas Day when it came out. I think that the shared experience with a bunch of strangers is an intangible PLUS that makes the theater experience seem even better than just the tech video and big sound advantages..

Dune may finally get its proper film treatment

Steam Punk Star Wars with some half-ass Marvel bullshit thrown in. Pretty cool visually, but the story is fucking lame. I mean why the fuck are they fighting with swords? Yeah I saw the whole slow blade cuts bullshit, but for fucks sake it’s the year 10,000 and we’re still playing choreographed sword fight wars?
    Come on man
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’m watching Foundation and Dune at the same time right now.

Can’t tell them apart.

But I love them both.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Audiovisually the movie was fantastic.

But as someone who has never read the books or seen the originals, I spent the first hour trying to figure out what the fuck the story line was…

I’ve noticed that with a lot of these sci-fi and fantasy remakes and adaptations they do a poor job of setting the table in the beginning of the story. They expect the viewer to have some knowledge of the story and the characters going in. Its almost like the writers are gatekeeping so the sci-fi / fantasy dorks can have more enjoyment than the rest of us… I just want to be entertained without having to join the fan club….

I can sympathize; I think the initial reviews broke down into geezer nerds who read the book a long time ago all raving, and younger non-book readers that that were all "eh???"

Seems to have been trending more towards the geezer nerds of late, at least on RT.