Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    that was Rad

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yo, Summit. As a fellow connoisseur of 90s Dune-related EDM, do you remember this jam from back in our day?

Sick! Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

A handy-dandy guide to DUNE Metal:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/dun...red-metal-list
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Like LOTR's trilogy, I wish both installments were in the can. Having to film the 2nd installment down the road seems like a potential problem and a big delay for those of us wanting to see a 5-6 hour rendition of one of the best stories ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

No Maiden?

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Apparently the Maiden song was originally to be called "Dune," but Frank Herbert was not a fan of the band and forbade them the use of his book title...

https://norselandsrock.com/to-tame-a-land-iron-maiden/

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    So anyone who has paid attention over the many years of this forum knows I think the Dune Trilogy is the one trilogy to rule them all, all genres.
    Seriously, did Star Wars OR LOTR inspire EDM and metal songs?

I mean Tolkien kinda fkd up Zeppelin a bit but....

Seriously, did Star Wars OR LOTR inspire EDM and metal songs?

I mean Tolkien kinda fkd up Zeppelin a bit but....
    Yes.
    https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/lor...gs-albums-list

Name:  signal-2020-12-14-205255.jpeg
Views: 445
Size:  52.2 KB

Hey dookey have you written for Bandcamp?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Hey dookey have you written for Bandcamp?
    Alas, no. I ended my journalism career in 2009.(Bandcamp was only a year old at that point and I hadn't even heard of it yet).
    Bandcamp Daily didn't appear until 2016.

But back to the topic of Dune:

Wired article on how Frank Herbert created the ultimate tampon:

https://www.wired.com/story/dune-sti...s-maxi-pad/amp

Apparently the Maiden song was originally to be called "Dune," but Frank Herbert was not a fan of the band and forbade them the use of his book title...
    Bruce tells that story in the intro I posted above.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Alas, no. I ended my journalism career in 2009.(Bandcamp was only a year old at that point and I hadn't even heard of it yet).
    Bandcamp Daily didn't appear until 2016.
    Too bad, I've wondered when I read and listen to some of the hip hop posts. I should check when Bandcamp became something I used and listened to a lot, maybe 2012?

torn.
    Likely cant get to theater tonight, but it drops on HBO MAx.
    Should I watch on my big screen just to see and then hit theater for the WOW this weekend?

and this is a good primer for uninitiated or long time since ya read: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dumm...110221791.html
    Last edited by Woodsy; 10-21-2021 at 08:08 AM.

torn.
    Likely cant get to theater tonight, but it drops on HBO MAx.
    Should I watch on my big screen just to see and then hit theater for the WOW this weekend?
    Do both! However, in reverse order. Just hold up til you can get your first experience on the big screen. IMAX or similar jumbo size screen with bonkers loud sound preferably. Then after you've experienced total visual and aural overload, taken a moment to soak in the experience, THEN watch it at home on HBO Max for a second viewing to try and catch what you missed the first time. At least that's what I'm doing.

Also watching the Lynch version in between viewings, blasting Toto at max volume to serve as a buffer for full Dune maximization. Lather, rinse repeat with alternate versions.

I have heard that this particular fan edit by creator "Spice Diver" is supposedly the best version out there. Will check it out stat to verify. And yes, this is the full(est?) movie, so enjoy!!!:

Luckily my wife is awesome and just said GO
    She will get grom from Soccer, so I am on at 6 so I can see Dodger game after.

Been watching the 2 series on DVD that my buddy sent me. Pretty good https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

fkn stoked

Bump. We don't need two threads.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

should be sick

11/20/20
    ALL star cast
    Denis Villeneuve: director, screenplay, producer
    Hans Zimmer: music composer
    • Jacqueline West: costume designer
    • Bob Morgan: co-costume designer
    • Eric Roth: screenplay
    • Jon Spaihts: screenplay
    • Greig Fraser: director of photography
    • Tom Struthers: stunt coordinator
    • Paul Lambert: visual effects supervisor
    • Gerd Nefzer: special effects supervisor

and the acting not bad either
    • Timothée Chalamet
    • Rebecca Ferguson
    • Oscar Isaac
    • Josh Brolin
    • Stellan Skarsgård
    • Dave Bautista
    • Zendaya
    • David Dastmalchian
    • Stephen Henderson
    • Charlotte Rampling
    • Jason Momoa
    • Javier Bardem

• Chang Chen
    ALL of this.

It was gorgeous, so well cast and everything I wanted. Mentats, Weirding, all of it.

ALL of this.

It was gorgeous, so well cast and everything I wanted. Mentats, Weirding, all of it.
    Awesome! Thanks for the non-spoilery take. Did you see it at the big screen after all?

Man, I'm stoked. When should we lift the spoiler embargo, huh guys? After the weekend? A week?

Saw it on the standard big screen at 6pm, but the bigger screen https://www.bowtiecinemas.com/btx wasnt until 7 ( which gave me plenty of room for my experience) so likely see that soon, then will seek out an IMAX, likely the BIG one in the city @ Lincoln Square

oh and
    "Dune: The Sisterhood,” a prequel series based on the Bene Gesserit, was ordered straight to series at HBO Max in 2019, with onetime showrunner Jon Spaihts exiting that role to focus on the writing the script for the second of the “Dune” movies. Diane Ademu-John has taken over as showrunner.

Just watched in a near empty very large screen theatre (post pizza and beer) with a couple co-workers (all us us nerds having read the book(s) in our teens and been enamored since) and it was fantastic.

Visually stunning. Really, it's beautifully done. The casting is so well done. Effects are great.

Did it have everything to make my fanboy loins nerdgasm? No, but really fucking good and more faithful to the book than the prior attempts. My brain was very happy with the "holy shit this is how i always thought it should/would look" especially since Herbert's writing was somewhat sparse on much of that. A few things glossed over or omitted, but overall...really fucking amazing! Not an expository mess like Lynch's version. Much more true to the Harkonnen being conniving smart long-game political thugs vs. just gross beastly assholes.

I think it does a good job of making fans happy as well as people who are going in cold with no familiarity. Granted, some of the glossing over will leave that latter category with many, many questions. (lasers? shield tech of some sort? swords and knives? but not much in the way of projectile weapons...? wait - how do those bug-copters fly like that...? how is the fat dude floating? i assume they'll get to some of that in the 2nd movie.

I will be buying whatever directors cut whenever it gets released!

About to watch it again via HBO with Mrs. Scrub and the 'rents-in-law. This time with the ability to pause it to go take a piss and grab a beer! Excellent.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

oh and
    "Dune: The Sisterhood,” a prequel series based on the Bene Gesserit, was ordered straight to series at HBO Max in 2019, with onetime showrunner Jon Spaihts exiting that role to focus on the writing the script for the second of the “Dune” movies. Diane Ademu-John has taken over as showrunner.
    Man, I sure hope it's better than the Herbert/Anderson prequel books. Made it through The Machine Crusade before giving up on that crap.

Oof.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the non-spoilery take. Did you see it at the big screen after all?

Man, I'm stoked. When should we lift the spoiler embargo, huh guys? After the weekend? A week?
    Seeing as most of us read the books and know the story not sure what spoilers would be..
    Paul's mom is hot

Just saw it in IMAX. So satisfying to see it properly done. The audience was applauding at the end which I haven't experienced in a long time. 2 plus hours went by like under an hour. Kind of the antithesis IMO cinematography wise to Lynch version. Almost a mild blue filter muting the colors compared to the blown out colors of Lynchs version. I also love that it isn't so dumbed down. I hope that eventually I can buy it without having to sign up for HBO Max which I would literally be signing up for just for Dune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Fuckity fuck. Just saw it. I had nooooooo idea it was only part of it. How many more? When? WTF?
    About an hour and a half in I was wondering where the sister was, or when was he gonna ride a worm, and then, oooooohhhh, damn.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda