Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Dune may finally get its proper film treatment

So anyone who has paid attention over the many years of this forum knows I think the Dune Trilogy is the one trilogy to rule them all, all genres.

I HATED the movie from the 80s, but came to love it in a different campy way, apart from the books.

But this?

THIS: https://apnews.com/Business%2520Wire...514d4c943724ac

should be sick

11/20/20
    ALL star cast
    Denis Villeneuve: director, screenplay, producer
    • Hans Zimmer: music composer
    • Jacqueline West: costume designer
    • Bob Morgan: co-costume designer
    • Eric Roth: screenplay
    • Jon Spaihts: screenplay
    • Greig Fraser: director of photography
    • Tom Struthers: stunt coordinator
    • Paul Lambert: visual effects supervisor
    • Gerd Nefzer: special effects supervisor

and the acting not bad either
    • Timothιe Chalamet
    • Rebecca Ferguson
    • Oscar Isaac
    • Josh Brolin
    • Stellan Skarsgεrd
    • Dave Bautista
    • Zendaya
    • David Dastmalchian
    • Stephen Henderson
    • Charlotte Rampling
    • Jason Momoa
    • Javier Bardem

• Chang Chen

Villeneuve has made it onto my list of directors that are worth watching. Pretty much whatever he puts out, I'll watch. And there's not many other directors at the moment that I think would do a better job with Dune.

I love that book and to do that movie right it needs to be at least 6 hours long. So a trilogy?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Villeneuve has made it onto my list of directors that are worth watching. Pretty much whatever he puts out, I'll watch. And there's not many other directors at the moment that I think would do a better job with Dune.
    His name is a killing word

Weird(ing way).

Subscribed...

The spice must flow

Agree, especially liked his treatment in Blade Runner 2049.

Me too

I tend to concur.

However...the only one of his films I have not enjoyed/didn't understand the hype/thought sucked was Prisoners, which incidentally was the film that broke him out in Hollywood/with the mainstream American audiences.

Everything else he's done post-Prisoners has been stellar, though.

And the few of his early French Canadian productions I have seen to date, specifically Maelstrom and Incendies, both of those are super excellent.

And Enemy, the film that came out after Prisoners is fantastic, especially if you dig vintage Cronenberg; sadly, that film flew under the radar

I still need to see Polytechnique and August 32nd on Earth...

I just hope the he hires Alejandro Jodorowsky as a consultant...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Agree, especially liked his treatment in Blade Runner 2049.
    Definitely. When BR2049 was announced, I was pessimistic. With how often the studios just have to 'Michael Bay' everything in pursuit of big numbers over substance, we were all worried. While we all know and understand WHY studios constantly try and play it safe, we just hate seeing our favorite IPs getting abused.

But nope! I was thankfully quite wrong. Villeneuve gave the Blade Runner world exactly the respect we all wanted. Unfortunately it didn't perform at the box office like we all wish it would have (so I suppose the studios are right in their formulas), but he STILL refuses to bastardize things for the sake of just posting box office victories. That's exactly why we need him at the helm.

If Dune was under most other's direction, I'd be seriously concerned, but with Denis running the show, I think it will be in very good hands. I'm actually a big fan of David Lynch's 1984 version, having grown up with it, but I can also totally understand the critiques of it. Especially to fans of the books. Lots to say about it, but it still hits a lot of the right notes for me, flaws and all. That said, I have a strong feeling that the Villeneuve version is going to blow away Lynch's. ESPECIALLY if it's going to be a full blown series. I'd say I can't wait, but I'm actually happy to wait so it can be done properly.

I thought the Dune Miniseries was pretty badass.

Dune may finally get its proper film treatment

I read that Villeneuve plans to make it into at least two parts. Nothing yet about continuing the series beyond the 1st book. Very much looking forward to this production. Might even visit the big screen for the first time in over a decade.

Dune is a trilogy?
    There were 6 original books by Frank Herbert.
    Anyway, I hope for the best, but the cynic in me expects it to be just ok at best.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Dune is a trilogy?
    There were 6 original books by Frank Herbert.
    Anyway, I hope for the best, but the cynic in me expects it to be just ok at best.
    the original trilogy stands on its own and the after books, considering they START 3,500 years later, are quite different even if first three of them were written by Frank.
    You could argue the first 2 are the story he originally conceived, success/Ascension and its terrible outcome then Children the lasting repercussions and re-ascension of the son .

I always considered them a trilogy and then another or books written later.
    See it how you like.

2 parts for the original book could be needed just dont over milk it aka the Hobbit

Can't wait for this. Hopefully he does a better job with Dune than Bladerunner (he says as he takes cover)..

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Hopefully he does a better job with Dune than Bladerunner (he says as he takes cover)..
    Lol, I'll wait till I see you in meatspace

I agree, actually. I wasn't gonna say anything, but BR2049 started out really good, then just got boring and stupid. I don't even remember it now.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I agree, actually. I wasn't gonna say anything, but BR2049 started out really good, then just got boring and stupid. I don't even remember it now.
    I know, right. We (the two people on the planet who think it sucked) need to do a run and have a beer sometime!

Oscar Isaac yammering a wee bit about Dune:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/os...202196220/amp/

I have never read the original 3 novels even though I have had copies since the 70s. Trying to decide if I should read them before the film ( pretty sure the reason I enjoyed The D. Lynch film was because I had not read the books, so I was just along for the bugged out Lynchian ride...)
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Cannot wait. While the Lynch Dune was a notorious mess, it was still pretty awesome considering. For the most part I liked BR2049, so if gets a treatment close to that it's going to be awesome. Not to mention it will be hard to screw it up with that cast. Will definitely be a big screen IMAX or RPX watch.

When I watch the previous Dune movie, I think of it as a ballet, or opera, or stage play caught on film...and I like it just fine. The lighting and backdrops are incredible, and remind me of several of the better ballets and plays I've seen. The acting, line delivery, and movements also seem better suited to the stage, IMHO. So I don't think of it as a movie, I think of it as a type of stage production, and it's spectacular.

I'm guessing the production values of the new version will be more like Star Wars or some such...which could be pretty disappointing.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

I have never read the original 3 novels even though I have had copies since the 70s. Trying to decide if I should read them before the film)
    Not sure if I can recommend them highly enough. Amazing world, universe building.

Nononononono!

First law of the Universe: NEVER read the book before seeing the movie, it only leads to failed expectations.

But, since you liked the Lynch hot mess (in a good but over-played way), you're going to not like the the books or the Villeneuve version, so ...... vibes

What is best means to watch the Lynch version? Isn’t it like a twin peaks re-boot (at least in terms of casting)?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    What is best means to watch the Lynch version? Isn’t it like a twin peaks re-boot (at least in terms of casting)?
    Kinda the other way around, no? Dune came before Twin Peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    What is best means to watch the Lynch version?
    Large screen, dark room, adult beverage of choice in hand, great sound system cranked to 11, in solitude with no interruptions... and do not watch when you're tired.

I like to view it pretty much the same way I would 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, or any other slow burn sci-fi.