Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yeah. I read Dune like 30 years ago. Revisited it only once, but really didn't go beyond that as it kinda goes off the rails in the later books and I just couldn't get into them. But that was pre-teen me, so maybe I'd have more appreciation for it now? I dunno. Either way, I don't feel I need to read the entire series to understand the upcoming film. Hell, I had a pretty decent grasp of the David Lynch version when I was like 5. I used to rent it repeatedly on VHS. Haha. Kid me loved it. Saw it not too long ago, and I don't know if it's the nostalgia-tinted glasses, but I still freaking love it. Dat Toto soundtrack! The cast! (Patrick Stewart and Sting FTMFW!!!) Yeah, it's got its major flaws for sure, but it's still so rad in its own 80s David Lynch way. Fight me.

That all said, I have full faith and confidence in the new director after he treated the Blade Runner IP so beautifully. CAN'T WAIT!!!
    I liked the Lynch flick, too. Haven't seen it in a while but it's one of maybe 2 movies I've seen twice in a theater. I might have to find it and see how it holds up now.

[rant] The trailer for this one looks cool, but there was something visually real before they let the cartoonists take over the CGI. Henson days. Used to be a whole cottage industry from LA to Riverside of people who made actual things for movies. For a minute I helped some of them with CAD software and next thing you know someone decides to just skip the making things step. Ray tracing is pretty, but I don't remember Lynch's looking like a superhero fantasy. The software goons have never cared about physics or normal wear and tear--the details of reality. [/rant]

I never have gone deep into the son's stuff, but a few decades or so between readings didn't hurt my enthusiasm for the books.

Also super stoked for this. I guess I am in the minority in that I loved the Lynch Dune flaws and all. I watched it on HBO the other night and it inspired me to reread the novel again. I liked Blade Runner 2049 but like Tenet the soundtrack was overbearingly loud. I read that Dune is the same. I love Hans Zimmer but it seems like the early 2000's trend of remastering when all they did was up the volume of the masters instead of making it better is happening in movies. At least the trend of short cuts and shaky cam has faded thank God . I hope that they don't dumb it down like they do all movies nowadays. Also read that the cinematography is up there with Lawrence of Arabia & 2001 S.O. which the material certainly suites that sort of treatment
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

"Final Trailer" just dropped! Not gonna like. Looks like it could end up being REALLY good. Can't wait!!!

It's fall

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eHHl5mz.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	388601
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It better be better than the new Bond.
    I don't think I can handle two sub-par almost 3-hour blockbusters in one month...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

For all you sonically minded Dune nerds there's a limited pressing, 3-LP set of the new film's score:

https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/the...l-on-sale-info

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    "Final Trailer" just dropped! Not gonna like. Looks like it could end up being REALLY good. Can't wait!!!

giddyup
    love the thopters

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    giddyup
    love the thopters
    That was one of the few little nitpicks. Why use them if you have those anti grav super planes/ spacecraft on their homeworld?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    That was one of the few little nitpicks. Why use them if you have those anti grav super planes/ spacecraft on their homeworld?
    Then why do we use prop planes and helicopters when we have jets and rocket powered aircraft? Not a serious question. Just pointing out why I don't think the Dune ornithopters are something to really nitpick. I dunno. Maybe there's a practical reason for it in the Duniverse, but sometimes it's best to just accept certain things as being cool and not overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    For all you sonically minded Dune nerds there's a limited pressing, 3-LP set of the new film's score:

Woah! Thanks! Being released for order at noon today. Hope I can score one. Only 3000 copies being pressed and they look like works of art. Not outrageous either at $45.

Dune inspired

About The Spice... some quality Psytrance

Dune's happy hardcore songs not about Dune are better than The Spice which is too much hardcore vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    smaller, more maneuverable made for aerial transport in an atmosphere.

Why use a helicopter if you have jets?

Plus the big ships likely all shield equipped and shields bring worms

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Dune's happy hardcore songs not about Dune are better than The Spice which is too much hardcore vibes
    Wow that takes me back!!! Good times.

Welp. That went fast. Had to deal with life and missed the boat. Haha. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    smaller, more maneuverable made for aerial transport in an atmosphere.

Why use a helicopter if you have jets?

Plus the big ships likely all shield equipped and shields bring worms
    No I meant the small fighter khal drogo Was flying when Paul is in the hangar. (OH wait you people in the Land of the free still haven't seen it yet) And it did not seem to need a landing strip.

I might accept the shield answer.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

saw it has a PG-13 rating, hoping it's something my 10 year old can watch (she doesn't scare easily, it's the sexual stuff that she has not been exposed to).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Maybe a little hermaphroditic worm sex, but otherwise ......

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    saw it has a PG-13 rating, hoping it's something my 10 year old can watch (she doesn't scare easily, it's the sexual stuff that she has not been exposed to).
    You have no issue with PG13 violence, but issue with PG13 sex? How puritanical of you.

My daughter turned 9 today, and devours fantasy novels at the PG13 level. The sex talks are easy, it's the violence that is hard to explain and what troubles her dreams.

word up to that ^

Although Fremen do get freaky

I'm not a puritan, we just haven't had all of the sexual discussions with her yet. But shit, you watch Disney movies and you've been seeing people get killed since you were 5.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm not a puritan, we just haven't had all of the sexual discussions with her yet. But shit, you watch Disney movies and you've been seeing people get killed since you were 5.
    Disney is evil. It's damn near everywhere, but I try and limit its influence as much as possible.

Yo, Summit. As a fellow connoisseur of 90s Dune-related EDM, do you remember this jam from back in our day?

Ars just did a superb review on Lynch's Dune:

Before the new version, let’s revisit 1984’s Dune—the greatest movie ever made
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...vie-ever-made/

Make sure to read all the captions on the photo slideshows. Author, Peter Opaskar, nails the vibe. It's a fun read.