Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Nononononono!

First law of the Universe: NEVER read the book before seeing the movie, it only leads to failed expectations.

But, since you liked the Lynch hot mess (in a good but over-played way), you're going to not like the the books or the Villeneuve version, so ...... vibes

While I have yet to read the books (and I tend to agree with you about not reading the source material before seeing the film), I have seen 8 of director Denis Villeneuve's 9 current feature films and I have enjoyed all of them with the exception of Prisoners (which, ironically, is the film that broke him out in Hollywood). His early films that I have seen (Maelstrom, Incendies) are great and the film he made right after that turd Prisoners (Enemy) is an overlooked gem. So I feel that the material (which I have yet to read) is in good hands, at least from a visual story telling standpoint.

Honestly, if anything has me skeptical it would be after watching the great documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, in which the Argentinean autuer discusses the grandiose Dune film he had planned for the '70s, but was never able to get off the ground. If you have not watched this film yet, I highly recommend it, even if you've never read the books, never seen the Lynch film, or have absolutely no clue as to who the hell Alejandro Jodorowsky is.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Large screen, dark room, adult beverage of choice in hand, great sound system cranked to 11, in solitude with no interruptions... and do not watch when you're tired.

I like to view it pretty much the same way I would 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, or any other slow burn sci-fi.
    Haha

To clarify, streaming service or a trip to town to rental store?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Haha

To clarify, streaming service or a trip to town to rental store?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Neither. Buy it on VHS or Laserdisc for the authentic experience. I vote Laserdisc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    While I have yet to read the books (and I tend to agree with you about not reading the source material before seeing the film), I have seen 8 of director Denis Villeneuve's 9 current feature films and I have enjoyed all of them with the exception of Prisoners (which, ironically, is the film that broke him out in Hollywood). His early films that I have seen (Maelstrom, Incendies) are great and the film he made right after that turd Prisoners (Enemy) is an overlooked gem. So I feel that the material (which I have yet to read) is in good hands, at least from a visual story telling standpoint.

Honestly, if anything has me skeptical it would be after watching the great documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, in which the Argentinean autuer discusses the grandiose Dune film he had planned for the '70s, but was never able to get off the ground. If you have not watched this film yet, I highly recommend it, even if you've never read the books, never seen the Lynch film, or have absolutely no clue as to who the hell Alejandro Jodorowsky is.

Very interesting! Although, again with the hallucinogenicity. I didn't realize Giger was involved - can't miss! The casting looked a little flakey though - Jagger and Dali??

So is Bardem gonna be Baron Harkonnen, or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    So is Bardem gonna be Baron Harkonnen, or what?
    Stellan Skårsgarrd, great casting

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Stellan Skårsgarrd, great casting
    Ahhh. Of course. Makes sense.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

i reread the book recently and was disappoint

the book def has some twee flourishes with the mystical stuff & the effete french pretension

i'd hope the writers can clean that dated stuff up and stick with the sci fi, adventure & drama

I had read the trilogy twice before seeing the first movie and enjoyed it. The movie was hard to follow by anyone who hadn't read the books, my girlfriend at the time was WTF?. I do hope the new film is long and done so people new to the story can enjoy it.
    IMAX would be awesome.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i reread the book recently and was disappoint

the book def has some twee flourishes with the mystical stuff & the effete french pretension

i'd hope the writers can clean that dated stuff up and stick with the sci fi, adventure & drama
    I have not read any of the books, so forgive me here, but how does an author who was born in Washington State (Tacoma) and died in Wisconsin promote "effete french pretension"???

Dune Christmas cards?!?!?

You betcha!

https://castlemcquade.com/products/d...fgUlCh3_u9-oK0

I have not read any of the books, so forgive me here, but how does an author who was born in Washington State (Tacoma) and died in Wisconsin promote "effete french pretension"???
    He didn't live in WI, he was just there for surgery. He was scheduled to speak at my school (in western WA) about a week after his death. IIRC we knew he had cancer, but still thought he would make it to our career day or whatever it was. Major bummer for a bunch of early-teen sci-fi nerds.

Dune may finally get its proper film treatment

Some of the social constructs and phrases that promote narrative world building are fairly loosely based off of French

If you’re 14, it reads as a new world. If you’re an adult, it reads fairly dated and somewhat transparently aspirational, and, for me, not all that otherworldly, which was disappointing

Does this circle back to the wish of many for some le Guin to be made into film or series? I recent read from her anthology “The Birthday of the World and Other Stories.” Those stories would make for some interesting and edgy films or long series episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I know, right. We (the two people on the planet who think it sucked) need to do a run and have a beer sometime!
    There are three. Boring!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

That'd be friggin awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Looks solid!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I am ...... encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Hans Zimmer FTMFW!!! This looks sick.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Looks good and I really want to see worms in IMAX. Hollywood does need to figure out a new way to do trailers. Once you see this, you can't look at modern trailers differently. It's a formula.

I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Yeah, I don't feel the content of Dune lends itself well to an Marvel movie style trailer. That being said, I am encouraged by what I saw in the trailer.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/