Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Z and Y has really great Sichuan food on Jackson. Itís in a lot of guidebooks so there are often a lot of tourists and long lines, but the food is legit. If youíre solo you wonít wait long anyway.

Youíd also be near the ferry building farmerís market which goes until 2 today. Thatís one of the top things I take visitors to in SF. You can park in the four embarcadero garage and get validated parking at a stall out front even without buying anything.

Street parking is somewhat available but expensive over there. Just donít leave any bags in your car ever. If you have a hatch with a screen donít use it as that is just as likely to provoke a break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    SF really needs to invest in more public bathrooms downtown. A lot of the bathrooms in businesses are for customers only, and some are even pay toilets. A lot of these guys donít have any other options.
    To be fair, the city has a program called Pit Stop with 25 attended portable toilets. Thereís a trailer that sets up across from the office I mentioned near twitter. But theyíre only open during the day, until 8pm at the latest.

Itís slowly expanding, but itís fairly costly since the toilets get trashed if theyíre not staffed. Maybe now that the payroll tax break the city gave to companies like twitter and zendesk to move into mid-market is expiring, that money can go to projects like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    While I hear that a lot, and do miss a bit of that old school gritty charm, I have to admit that hands down I'll take 2000's NYC over 1970's NYC if you gave me a one-way time machine and said pick one.

So, sure. While I can run around at night in downtown San Francisco as a well-traveled man with some decent street wits about him, there's no way in hell I would feel comfortable with my wife and children in those late hours. It can get downright spooky out there on some blocks and BART stations.

EDIT: Sorry. I really meant to reserve comments of mine like this for PolyAss. I don't want to be a 'Negative Nancy' in this thread, and will try to keep it limited more to good touron info and positivity from here on. SO much cool stuff to see here, so will focus on that. Thanks.

Since you brought it up. 1973-83 was perhaps the longest economic stagnation (stagflation) in our history. In 1985 the SP500 was 90. Not 900. 90 and had been flat for 15 years with high inflation.

So while tough guy Rudy gets some credit for cleaning up NY Iíd credit Wall Street friendly policies more for revitalizing NYC. The Midwest got thrown to the wolves.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bay Area Intel for Tourons

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

So while tough guy Rudy gets some credit for cleaning up NY Iíd credit Wall Street friendly policies more for revitalizing NYC. The Midwest got thrown to the wolves.
    This is not really the thread to debate this, but violent crime went down all over the country at the same rates as it did in NYC. Many people now think Giuliani did more long-term harm than good with his policies. And wall st didnít have anything to do with it either.

But I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    And wall st didnít have anything to do with it either.
    1987. Greed is good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    This is not really the thread to debate this, but violent crime went down all over the country at the same rates as it did in NYC. Many people now think Giuliani did more long-term harm than good with his policies. And wall st didn’t have anything to do with it either.

But I digress...
    broken windows policing doesn't work. at some level the midwest threw itself to the wolves though - corporations had dominated finance increasingly through the 50s & 60s, many of those corps through themselves down the shitter with dumb moves (GM foremost)

if we are talking about the nebulous "golden age" of SF - the combo of urban malaise (cheap housing in the city) and plentiful jobs in the burbs is what people are looking at.

back on topic - if you drive up or down the coast and want to head inland, I though the smaller roads were cooler than the major roads. So - bonny doon rd. or empire grade rd. on the south, pescadero creek rd/alpine/pagemill rd in the middle. old soquel san jose rd. further south. can't vouch for current conditions or if they are open.

I am a bit bummed that in the 13 years I lived in Duboce Triangle/Lower Haight/Outer Castro, I never once ate at Burmese Superstar. I was always put off by the long lines!

I forgot to mention a trip to Green Apple Books out on Clement is worthy if you are a bibliophile and seeing a double-feature at The Castro is a solid experience if you are a cinephile (ditto for seeing some off-beat film at The Roxie).

In Berkeley, I already mentioned Dark Carnival, but Moe's on Telegraph is an institution and Bibliomania in downtown Oakland is really cool (again, if you are a reader and dig used bookstores). Plus the area of Telegraph that it's located on has a lot of great bars (Dogwood, Diving Dog, Woods...).

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

Bay Area Intel for Tourons

Burma superstar has a couple spin offs now. I love that food but that line isn't worth it for any food. There are some other Burmese options that have stepped in to fill the demand though

There's a second green apple on 9th Ave now in the old Le Video store. Not as eccentric as the original, but still a great option for book lovers. Especially when the new Tartine finally opens across the street from it.
    Last edited by mcski; 03-23-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I'm headed back into the city today to get check out Alcatraz and the Golden Gate bridge. Got my ferry ticket, so all set on that front. Should I get lunch in China Town today? I'm the mood for some badass Chinese food today. Thinking about just driving up there and finding a parking garage today since traffic's light and I don't wanna have to take the train back tonight. That took forever last time since I missed that last "baby bullet" Caltrain. Just as you guys warned me about. Haha.
    If you want good Chinese food you should go get Dim Sum at one the many great places in the city. If you’re downtown Yank Sing is good but pricey. If you want to save a few bucks and don’t mind the drive, Hong Kong Lounge out on Geary is the spot. Dim Sum is generally a late breakfast / lunch type of thing, though, as most places are done serving by 2:00 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Z and Y has really great Sichuan food on Jackson. Itís in a lot of guidebooks so there are often a lot of tourists and long lines, but the food is legit. If youíre solo you wonít wait long anyway.
    Thanks for the lunch tip! Food was fantastic. Had some beef in hot chili oil. They don't skimp on the ingredients which were of better quality than most Chinese I have. Man, this place is WAY different on a Saturday midday. Where the heck did all the bums go?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_134218.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	275521

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    There's a second green apple on 9th Ave now in the old Le Video store. Not as eccentric as the original, but still a great option for book lovers. Especially when the new Tartine finally opens across the street from it. It just got to damn popular.
    Super bummed to have learned that Le Video passed away.
    When I was living in SF and was a journalist, I frequented that place weekly. I rented so many obscure movies there. Plus when I had an interview with an actor, I would find out what their earliest films were and then track them down at Le Video. I would show up with those films at interviews with actors who were usually amazed that I had taken the time to track down their early films and even more amazed that I had watched them (for example, Carla Gugino and Patrick Warburton were super surprised/stoked that I had taken the initiative to watch their early stuff).
    I keep meaning to hit the Burmese Superstar in Oakland on one of my rare visits down the mountain...

The three SF Chinatown RIPs I have are:
    - Mr. Bings bar
    - Sam Wo (a three story afair with the kitchen on the bottm floor and a dumbwaiter...you could buy booze across the street and "sneak" it into the restaurant in a brown bag and the waiter would give you teacups to drink it out of...you had to keep the booze in a brown bag under the table).
    - Chef Ghia (this was next door to the super touristy House of Nanking and was always empty, but the food was 100X better than Nanking)

Mr Bings for sure. Man that place was the real deal. I think the name survives but it has gentrified. Le Video lasted a lot longer than you'd have thought for a video store. Probably due to how unique and extensive it's collection was. Apparently the Alamo drafthouse bought its collection but no idea what they are doing to do w so many vids

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    The three SF Chinatown RIPs I have are:
    - Mr. Bings bar
    - Sam Wo (a three story afair with the kitchen on the bottm floor and a dumbwaiter...you could buy booze across the street and "sneak" it into the restaurant in a brown bag and the waiter would give you teacups to drink it out of...you had to keep the booze in a brown bag under the table)...
    Sam Wo was sweet!, is Mr. Bings the karaoke-style bar down around the corner from Sam Wo? Had an interesting drink there once...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

All of the SF bashing is well deserved, but in certain pockets it's still a great city.

LOL. I was a loyal Burma Superstar customer for about four years. Everyone that visited the city went there with me. These were pre-Cotogna Myth days. Probably ate there twenty times, braved the parking and even the line. Then Hepatitisgate happened. They probably can't even remember the name of the guy that caused it now, but my friends and I could never seem to get the...guts...to go back. Weird. Their food and service is wonderful, but my asshole puckers every time I see the awning and the waitstand.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Sam Wo was sweet!, is Mr. Bings the karaoke-style bar down around the corner from Sam Wo? Had an interesting drink there once...
    There used to be a cool/funky karaoke joint on Kearney near Columbus...small, narrow, mirrored. Can't recall the name.
    There was also a coupla other great dive bars in Chinatown, one where you had to go downstairs and I swear it had a neon jade dragon sign. There was another on a side street that used to get kinda violent.
    And I was always partial to The Hearth out on Geary...they served Tiger Lager...well at least they had it up on the shelf in front with all the other beers they carried, but every time I ordered one the lady bartender would sigh and disappear into the back room only to return with a dusty bottle. She said I was the only one who ordered it!

Since I lived in Duboce Triangle, I usually frequented the places on Lower Haight and up on Divis: Toranado (but I was never a huge fan of their warm glasses and room temp beer), The Page, and of course Aub Zam Zam in the Upper Haight. There were others, but those were go-tos.
    In my final two years in The City I became a fan of the Mojo Bike Shop and Cafe on Divis across from The Independent. They had "Death and Taxes" on tap and frosted pint glasses and if you went around 4 you could drink surrounded by the bike messengers and eavesdrop on their tales of fighting with buses, cabs, and downtown suits.

U guys are stirring up some old memories.

Bing! I got to meet Mr Bing one day in Honolulu. Big dude. My uncle knew him from back in the day and introduced me to him. He looked tough but was super nice.

My dad used to get my firecrackers in Chinatown from a dude who I think had Wah Ching ties. Shit in SF was probably more dangerous back then but seemed safer. Less we knew the better.

My dad used to work at 5th/Mission and as a 10-year old I could walk from over there to my momís work building near Chinatown. No problems.

How many of you from back in the day got to see the Xmas Tree at City of Paris? That was cool

Ok, enough with old times shit...

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Apparently the Alamo drafthouse bought its collection but no idea what they are doing to do w so many vids
    Ohhhhh. So THAT'S where they get their super obscure stuff they use in all their pre-movie content.

Yesterday was great. Drove into town from 280 where it spits you out at King-Embarcadero. Enjoyed walking all over the Telegraph Hill neighborhood and Chinatown. Went to Alcatraz. Walked the touristy area. PERFECT weather. Then headed over the Golden Gate Bridge to that lookout area they have over there.

Yeah, it may not be far from where I was the other night, but are those neighborhoods up there like "the other side of the tracks" or something? It was a polar opposite experience. May have also been because it was during the day on a weekend, but at least it was honestly nice and family friendly. You've redeemed yourself in my touron eyes, SF. Now I just know a bit more about what's going on before I bring my family. So I have learned that evidently I do not want to stay in the Tenderloin 'hood. Good things to know!

Flying out today. Thanks for the tour, everyone! Much appreciated. It was really fun using your suggestions.

Just went to Burma superstar for the first time in a couple years the other night. I think itís pretty overrated but I do like it. Iíd never wait longer than 15 minutes though so only go weeknights early or late.

Also went to the hearth and the page with some friends a couple nights later, so funny they got brought up. IMO the page has been kind of ruined by the fact that itís a block away from one of the busiest tech bus stops in the city. Much different crowd than it used to be.

Mr Bingís is still around but I havenít been since probably 2009, so I donít know if itís changed. Sam wo reopened a year or two ago.

The drafthouse did indeed purchase the Le video collection and they rent movies from their lobby. Not sure if all of it is available though; they definitely donít display it all.

One of the toronado bartenders who is a friend of a friend is a snowboarder. Ran into him once at Kirkwood on a great pow day where he had worked until closing, then jumped into a car and drove straight to the mountain without sleeping. He only would do the thimble hike with us after we all drank from his tequila thermos on the ride up chair 4!

The cafe on divis is still kicking but mojo is gone.

Austin, glad you liked z and y. Sounds like a fun day. And really, most of SF is nothing like the tl/mid-market/soma area. Each neighborhood tends to have a vibe that is very specific and different than the others. To the point where sometimes I go to a neighborhood I havenít been to in a while and it almost feels like Iím in a different city. Most of it doesnít feel sketch at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Austin, glad you liked z and y. Sounds like a fun day. And really, most of SF is nothing like the tl/mid-market/soma area. Each neighborhood tends to have a vibe that is very specific and different than the others. To the point where sometimes I go to a neighborhood I havenít been to in a while and it almost feels like Iím in a different city. Most of it doesnít feel sketch at all.
    For sure. I may have judged the city a bit harshly at first since the first impression was pretty brutal. Really glad I went back in and saw more! Can't wait to come back and explore more someday.

A few pics from my day.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_134710.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	275696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_145202.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	275697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_161626.jpeg 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	275698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_164432.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	275699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_185041.jpeg 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	275700

...AND you got out just in time. Shooting in the Fillmore last night killed one, wounded three. Whatever happened at William Graham had over 30 people fucked on x in the Rockmed tent. After party in North Beach was complete mayhem, and something went down in the adult entertainment division. People everywhere were assaulted and robbed. One of the craziest nights I've worked since Fleet Week, but the activity was pretty diverse. Wish I was sightseeing yesterday...

Are you an EMT or something? William Graham? Lol

Or something. Billy Boy's been around the family for years.