Ankle pain, what determines the remedy?

Youngest kid skied hard 10 days, day 9 has ankle pain. Bootfitter friend not in town.
    Phone consult says varus wedge. He did the same wedge 2 years ago.

I know heel wedges open my ankle flexion. But opening the ankle can’t really make the malleolus smaller, so I guess it’s just lifting it higher into the pocket?

At what point would you go to a C or L pad or slit the liner? After a wedge fails to provide relief?

Shell punch? Hate to do it when he gets new/used boots every year.
    . . .

How old is the kid in question?

Order of operations:
    1. stabilize the foot & ankle (usually with a footbed)
    2. ensure space exists around problem areas (i.e. grind or stretch affected area)
    3. apply additional pads if needed

You will have the highest rate of success working in that order. For example, applying pads without first stabilizing the foot/ankle doesn't have a high success rate because it is not addressing the root cause of the problem (flexible foot moving inside a rigid shell).

I have super bony ankles. On many boots, heat molding will result in the liner getting very thin around my ankle. Skiing hard for a bunch of days in a row becomes painful just because my bones are hitting the shell. Adding some foam c-wraps or donuts around my ankle bones pulls them away from the plastic shell, and gives me a better fit in the process. It solves the pain issue every time. While some boots / liners didn't need it initially, I've eventually done it with every boot I've ever owned.

Eta: I've done varus wedges as well. Sometimes they help my fit a bit, but they never solved my ankle pain issues.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have super bony ankles. On many boots, heat molding will result in the liner getting very thin around my ankle. Skiing hard for a bunch of days in a row becomes painful just because my bones are hitting the shell. Adding some foam c-wraps or donuts around my ankle bones pulls them away from the plastic shell, and gives me a better fit in the process. It solves the pain issue every time. While some boots / liners didn't need it initially, I've eventually done it with every boot I've ever owned.

Eta: I've done varus wedges as well. Sometimes they help my fit a bit, but they never solved my ankle pain issues.
    I might try that.
    My inner ankles, even after a few punches are typically sore after skiing.
    Upon seeing my ankles, the Bootfitter said: "Whoaa!! you have huge ankles!".
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I might try that.
    My inner ankles, even after a few punches are typically sore after skiing.
    Upon seeing my ankles, the Bootfitter said: "Whoaa!! you have huge ankles!".
    Yup, I'm familiar with that conversation. And I typically try to avoid punches in that area, just because my heels are so narrow. I don't really need the shell to be wider - I just need something to keep my ankle bones from bruising. A bit of foam does the trick, and it's quick and easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

on my first pair of heat molded boots and I think you just saved my life.

any tips for holding in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    on my first pair of heat molded boots and I think you just saved my life.

any tips for holding in place?
    I'm just using adhesive backed boot fitting foam. It usually stays put, but sometimes I cover it in duct or gaffers tape for a bit of extra security.