Looking for a 24” mountain bike

For a friend, 24” wheels. Good quality light weight ride. They are trying to stay below $500. Anybody got a line on a bike? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Norco has great kids bike options. They have a model called the Storm that has 24” wheels, mechanical disc brakes, and a suspension fork that gets about 2” travel and retails for about $450.

Is this for a kid? My boys (10 & 12) each have a Specialized Riprock 24. They're great bikes - aluminum frames, front suspension, 1x8 drivetrain, disc brakes and 24 x 2.8 tires. They start at $525. They love them.

We bought our 6yo a Canondale Cujo 20 last year on recommendation from here. It is a plus bike without front suspension and weighs in around 20 pounds. The general consensus was that kids' front suspension is generally heavy and ineffective (I have no personal experience) and it would be better to go rigid. 20 pounds of bike for an adult is really light when it's 6-10% of your body weight, but 20 pounds of bike for a kid is 33-40% of their body weight. The heavier the bikes get, the harder they are for them to operate. We were deciding between that and a Trek Superlight because it had a similar weight and component spec.

I know that there is a Cujo 24, although I don't know a ton about it. I'm sure that there are other options also, but would strongly suggest finding a lightweight bike. This summer we're going to be adding adjustable hydraullic brakes and a rapidfire shifter to make things work better - maybe a cassette with better low gearing to make the uphills more manageable.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20181022_113306.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	274975

Following this thread, as my 8yo kiddo is on a 20" Spawn Savage and may or may not need a bike (probably can get one season more out of the Savage because she's small, but it also might be better for her to have more seasons on a bigger bike, so long as it also fits her).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Following this thread, as my 8yo kiddo is on a 20" Spawn Savage and may or may not need a bike (probably can get one season more out of the Savage because she's small, but it also might be better for her to have more seasons on a bigger bike, so long as it also fits her).
    So here’s what I got. I have an aluminum 24” specialized. Very light frame. I rebuilt the wheels with XTR hubs and aluminum nipples so they are light and have quick release. It has a titanium bottom bracket in the frame already. Bearings aren’t perfect but they are good enough. Also have a 165 crank to go with and I think I have xtr rim brakes either on it or somewhere. So, it’s a light setup. Both my kids rode it. So you would need to put it together. Needs a headset, seatpost, handlebar, saddle, brake levers and shifter/rear der. I think it still has a 9 speed cassette on it. I just remembered I rebuilt the shock with an old SID rockshox elastomer on one leg so it actually moves under a kids weight. Kinda. But better than a normal kids shock.

Anyway, you can have it for free. I just need it back in 5 years for my brothers kid, but by then you’ll have aged out of it. Would be doing me a favor by getting it out of my garage for a while.

Lemme know. I may have some of the parts you need sitting around as well. It’s Rasta themed.

It sucks that most kids bikes are so heavy. A 50 pound kid should not be riding a 35 pound bike. How would you like to ride a 100 pound bike. So this one can be put together so it’s pretty light.

Damn, that’s a great offer. When my boy was stepping up from 12” wheels to 16” wheels” the bike we were given weighed 24 lbs. he weighed about 40 pounds. I bought him a Cleary Hedgehog with rim brakes for $450 with fatter tires than stock. The offer of a 5 year loan is pretty awesome

Pm incoming!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear