Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

All things InReach

I just got my mini and am setting it up. This is a good resource for getting going https://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/garm...r-adventurers/

Just got an Inreach Mini this year and have about twenty days of use on it. Here is one of the better reviews I liked"

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/in...h-mini-review/

I am a regular backcountry skier who often travels alone. I am often out of cell contact, so my lovely wife appreciates getting one of my unlimited preset messages saying that I am off the mountain and back at the car. I also work in remote sites and the daily preset saying that I am alive and fine is appreciated. I chose the cheapest plan ($12/Month) and have not experienced any problems with the service. (WARNING: If you choose the annual contract instead of the Freedom plan, you are locked in for 12 months. They don't care if you lose your Inreach or change your mind) Read the rules before you choose. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

I am experiencing a problem that I have not posted on the Garmin Forum:
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...h/inreach-mini
    or discussed with tech support. I would like to see if any of have the same problem

I send a preset message when I am starting into the mountains. When I hit sent I get a message that the GPS reception is not good and it will wait to send my message until it has a good GPS fix to send with my message. If I just head into the mountains it takes between 10 and 15 minutes before it sends my message. There is an option to send message without a good GPS fix and if I hit that my message sends in a minute or two. After that initial problem my messages send every time with a good fix.
    I have tried turning it on during the drive up with no change.
    I have checked GPS satellite availability with another Garmin GPS and lots of birds available.
    Anyone find a workaround?

All my Inreach messages have worked with no misses or delays, this thing works.
    I have not tried sending a message in a poor site (bottom of a tight canyon), but will try it soon. I suppose that the kayak community would know that answer. Den

Before you leave go to utilities and then send test message. It's free and makes sure the thing works. I do this then start up the skin track. I don't get a response for like 15 minutes or more which kind of freaks me out. I am under a tree canopy. Normal?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Not my story, but I read this story on a FB group page:

On Saturday I did something I hoped I would never have to do – I initiated an SOS from my InReach (for another party in distress that I came across in the aftermath of an avalanche).
    I don't know if the 5 to 10 minutes that I wasted faffing around with the InReach would have saved the victim's life. Probably not, but I will never know. All I can do is learn from this experience and share it so hopefully, others can learn from my mistakes. (I know this might sound like rookie stuff - I've been touring for over 10 years and I've had the InReach in my pack for every tour for the past 2 years – I just never thought of these things until the time actually came.)
    1. Check and test your equipment before every trip.
    I checked that my InReach battery was good before leaving, but what I didn’t realize was that at some point since I had last used it, my InReach and my phone had unpaired. This left me texting on the InReach directly instead of my phone - which would be difficult under the best of circumstances, let alone under duress. I should have checked they were still paired before I left, as I would have been able to message with SAR way more quickly this way.
    2. Know how to initiate a response and be familiar with your equipment (know what it looks like when you do trigger an SOS).
    I spent a few minutes faffing about with the InReach before I actually properly triggered the SOS. Initially, in the panic of the situation, I didn’t realize I had to hold the SOS button down for 5 second – I just pulled the safety and hit the button then turned my attention to the situation. When I looked back at it, I didn’t see any response or anything for SAR, so I tried again. Once it initiated the responders were communicating with me within a minute and it was very obvious that the device was functioning in an emergency state (flashing red, making a lot of noise)- I just didn't know what to expect and failed to initiate the SOS initially. While you can't practice this part, there are probably some good videos online you can watch about what it looks like so you know what to expect.
    3. A two way communication device is necessary!
    Being able to communicate details to SAR about numbers involved and location were key to a quick response. Afterwards, the SAR responders said the information I was able to send them was key in their response, getting the victim off-scene in the hour left of daylight we had left.
    4. Make sure your emergency contacts know they are you contacts and what your InReach is (in the case of older parents, which was my case - I had explained to my parents the morning I left what the InReach was, even though I had it for years). If you initiate SOS for somebody else, message your contacts as soon as you can to let them know what is going on. This will keep down the amount of phone traffic that SAR has to deal with, if your contacts know you are safe and are initiating for somebody else (Once again, SAR said this was important as it was less for them to deal with and streamlined their response).
    Note that this event did not happen on the South Coast -however, I feel that this is applicable to anybody who plays outside. From my understanding the victim’s family has not yet been notified, however, details of the incident will likely be made public within the next few days. My thoughts are with the victim's friends and family.
    Let's all be safe out there and look out for one another.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Before you leave go to utilities and then send test message. It's free and makes sure the thing works. I do this then start up the skin track. I don't get a response for like 15 minutes or more which kind of freaks me out. Normal?
    Sounds very similar to the problem I have with my first message. Have you tried sending more tests later in the day to see how fast they work? Den

Bumping this thread since Garmin has released a new inReach device called the Messenger. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/793265

I haven't thought to replace my gen 1 Mini yet but this might be the ticket. I've used the actual texting feature on the device maybe 2 times ever? I always just message by connecting it with my phone. They also are releasing a new app called Garmin Messenger which seems to streamline the messaging platform (which is worst part about the inReach devices in my opinion).

I like the ability to use it as a battery bank too. If you go out with a charged inReach but your phone dies now you have an option to get that important text out.

this guy goes too deep into everything but I appreciate it. I need to replace my mini and will likely do it with the messenger

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/09/...n-details.html

I'm gonna keep recommending the Mini of the Messenger

2way communication is key in an actual emergency and if your phone is dead...

Messenger is just a tiny bit smaller, but no lighter than the Mini. I think they just wanted to be price competitive to some less functional third party options.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It looks like you can still do the super slow stand alone message typing on the Messenger like on the mini? Is this true? If so I don't see what the difference is between the two besides battery life.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    It looks like you can still do the super slow stand alone message typing on the Messenger like on the mini? Is this true? If so I don't see what the difference is between the two besides battery life.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    On closer inspection, yea, 2 way messaging without-a-phone is preserved on the Messenger, which I think Garmin deserves kudos for and puts them above so much of the myriad of competing knock off sat messengers. I am generally impressed by Garmin products and their dedication to quality and performance.

If you use your Garmin for short update interval live tracking on expeditions, the battery life thing could be an important mark in favor of Messenger. Otherwise, seems like little difference except the Mini has a bigger screen and a no-thought-required omni directional antenna. That alone makes Mini better for me.

Inreach is linked to my Garmin watch and the Inreach goes in my backpack or top tube bag. Thus I can activate the SOS from my watch. I don't want to have to think about whether the Messenger antenna is oriented correctly if I am injured in an emergency or if I am focused on rescue efforts. But testing may reveal this difference to be minor and the Messenger is 25% cheaper.

In any case I don't see a reason to upgrade for a Mini owner.

I'd imagine chances are slim, but anyone seen a deal on the new messenger? I'm going to get one this week and would love to save a little coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    I'd imagine chances are slim, but anyone seen a deal on the new messenger? I'm going to get one this week and would love to save a little coin.
    I can't even find a deal on the Mini 2 so I'd guess you are out of luck.

I just updated the firmware for my mini to the newest version, it was quick and easy via the Garmin explore website. I had read some accounts of wonky behavior from running old versions so figured it was time.

Mini2 is $50.00 off right now.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just an update. These work. Thank god it was a false alarm set off by his watch and not a real situation. But my buddies watch alerted to an accident, I am an emergency contact, I got the text from garmin. Immediately opened the link and saw his location where he does trail work for a mtn bike club and there is spotty service. I immediately called 911 on speaker and proceeded to text him to see if I could get a response. The initial 911 operator was clueless about anything, but through the location the accident happened it needed to go to vermont state police, like most non service and populated areas in Vt. The Vt state police dispatcher knew exactly what an inreach was and asked for coordinates immediately and the as in the process of radioing units within seconds, my buddy thankfully texted me off of Inreach that he was ok and it was triggered by him pounding wedges in a tree. All in all, this was a great experience for me, my buddy and for VSP. Couldn’t of asked for them to be better trained in understanding tech. That was my underlying concern with inreach, as vermont dispatch is a mess and subcontracted unless it’s a state police response.

makes me feel better about owning one, using one, and trusting one.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post

makes me feel better about owning one, using one, and trusting one.
    Good info Joey.
    At the risk of preaching, giving up my hard earned TGRz anonymity, understanding many Mags already know this, and only to provide the other perspective, I spent close to twenty years in federal SAR aviation, in Canada and the US. The advent of this technology, specifically the ability to text vice simply receiving a Lat/Long w/ emergency contact (406 EPIRB), and before that, simply a line of sight needle (now defunct 121.5 EPIRB), is nothing short of game changing. Information is everything in SAR, and allows crews to properly mitigate/manage risk, for both patient and crew alike. For example, if you're in a bad way, they'll do everything they can to come for ya, and mitigate their own risk based on the high reward of keeping you alive, but knowing you're stable, with food, clothing and water, and have a bit of time, could potentially save a crew from pushing it too far at night, in bad weather, etc, when they could wait out a low, or for daylight (again, just one example of mitigation). Good communication/information can turn a hairy high risk endeavour for all involved (which sometimes is necessary, and was always necessary with old tech as crews had to assume worst case scenario without good comms/info), into an almost non event.
    Be prepared, and always have an out, but if shit inevitably goes sideways, use it, and don't be afraid to over communicate, though if operators are good at their job, they'll ask ya all the right questions. Lastly, SAR crews are humans with families and their own shelf lives; there are a finite amount of crews/aircraft/money, and a lot goes into getting you out safe; they will be there when ya need em, but you shouldn't put em (or potentially another patient who has to forgo rescue cause the asset is responding to you) in a tough spot to make up for your lack of experience or planning; Darwinism is real. Now retired from SAR, I don't go too far without my mini. Sermon complete; cheers all.

That's awesome Sylvan. Know how to use your InReach outside of pushing the SOS.

I wish txt to 911 was more prevalent and local dispatch was a bit more InReach savy.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

I wish txt to 911 was more prevalent and local dispatch was a bit more InReach savy.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse
    For sure, and as you know, every region/country is a little different, which is important to understand; the nature of inefficient multi level governance IMO, but I digress. What I love about satellite messaging, is the SOS function is there if shit hits the fan, and you wanna get the cavalry rolling (and perhaps follow up w/ text time permitting), but it also provides middle ground, if say, you leave your trip plan with the wife, and tell her you'll be back Tuesday, but due to circumstances that ain't gonna happen, but you're otws good, you can contact her and tell her not to activate anybody, and in turn not burn a crew. Or, say, you're kinda fucked up and will need help, but are comfortable and capable enough to communicate, you can text wife or emerg contact or whoever, and have them communicate to 911/RCC/Sector/etc for you (if you know that option isn't avail in your region). Dunno, just provides so many more options when out of cell range for both patient and crew, compared to the old blind binary approach. And I'm far from tech savvy, or in the know about all the different jurisdictions on planet earth, or sober right now, just know from experience how valuable good info is. Help them safely help you sorta thing. Garmin should probably sponsor me for all this glow, haha, not actually though, these speak for themselves.

For anyone who has had the basic Annual/Contract Safety Plan (with unlimited preset messages) since before September 2022, beware upgrading your device - you might lose your unlimited preset messages.

"Check-in messages have replaced preset messages as of September 27th, 2022. inReach accounts set up prior to this date will still have preset messages available, but any new accounts created after this date will use check-in messages." https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Ru5SHas9vohbbA

I've had my same Annual/Contract Safety Plan since 2019, but can't edit my preset messages now that I upgraded to the Mini 2. I'll be calling Garmin tomorrow and bitching about it. This is clearly a money squeeze to pressure you to upgrade to a more expensive plan.

Just a reminder, but NO Spot or InReach in India. I recognize this information has been greatly updated since my incident, but worth adding to the thread. Having an inReach there can get you prison time and cost you a ton of money. The US Embassy won't do anything to help you and India will not ask if you have one to declare when you enter the country.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Now that it has been out for a while, anyone have any thoughts on the Messenger vs Mini 2?

Messenger pros:
    - ~$80 cheaper on sale
    - Longer battery
    - Can emergency charge phone (useful given the pain of actually using these devices by themselves)

Mini pros:
    - Some nav features and a true compass
    - Garmin Explore App compatibility (not sure if this matters, but the website says the messenger can't do this).
    - maybe a better antenna
    - Form factor that is smaller and better set up for clipping to a pack or otherwise carrying in an accessible position.

It is honestly those last 2 features that still draw me to the mini--I want to have the thing actually "in reach" if I am by myself and fishing a little lanyard through the Messenger seems like a sub-par solution. Otherwise the battery+lower price seem like a huge win on the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Now that it has been out for a while, anyone have any thoughts on the Messenger vs Mini 2?
    Tons of reviews and your use might dictate which one to buy:
    YouTube

Outdoor Gear Lab 2023
    - Messenger = Mini2 but err on the messenger, then ACR Bivy Stick. After that, Zoleo (yeck) and Garmin 66i.

Outdoor - 6 months back

I have the 66i but find that it is not as useful as a GPS as I would like and could see getting a new multiband Messenger to replace it.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Mini1 and Mini2 are almost identical.

I have a Inreach Mini1 which uses the Garmin Earthmate App, which is a fine app. I'd upgrade to the Mini2 solely so I could have just one Garmin app (Explorer) on my phone (my watch uses Explorer). Make me an offer so I can justify my upgrade.

Seems maddening that they killed the preset messages AND that the replacement "Check-in" messages don't have an option for something like "I'm OK but will be late"

If anything, that seems like the most useful message on both short journeys and long. Supposed to be on a 3 hour backcountry ride but you busted your wheel and have to hike out? Supposed to be back Saturday but you got delayed and will be back Sunday?

That said, extra custom messages are only 50 cents each...not the end of the world to just type a more detailed message.

Hey guys, I have an issue, maybe someone could help. (Garmin tech support is closed)
    We just activated a new mini2 yesterday. Wife and kiddo are on a two night backpacking trip (Jackson to Granite Canyon Hot Springs).
    Everything was working fine, I could track them from the trailhead, up Jackson Peak, and back to Goodwin Lake. At about 9:00 last night, for some reason, the ‘device is disconnected’ prompt came up, and it appears that Garmin explore just shows my current location from my phone.
    Could I have accidentally disconnected it on my end?
    If so, can I reconnect from here?
    Or do you think it was on their end?
    I also haven’t received any messages. (Which they were going to try and do nightly)
    Thanks in advance, this is disappointing!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident