Bike sizing question

Ok, I’ve been on a large Karate Monkey for a while, now looking for a bounce bike. I’m looking at used or new 27.5 all-around trail bikes. I’m 5’11”, sorta long torso. Can i get away with a medium? Easier to make a small bike bigger, or large bike smaller?
    I probably just need to get out and ride a few, but there’s not a lot of available stuff near me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Modern bike design has led to much longer bikes recently, so a lot of fit is personal preference. Many modern mediums are longer than a large from even just a couple of years ago.
    You should try hard to ride some bikes. It is worth it.

Sizing for you might depend on the bike but 5'11" sounds solidly Large to me

I was able to demo a Large Yeti 5.5 and it definitely felt too long for my 5'8" but I got a chance to see what the bike was about and bought the Medium which is perfect
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

5'11" is a large in most brands. If you prefer a smaller feeling bike, some of the bigger mediums might work.

Your height with longish torso = large. But, you should try some for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

You're definitely going to need to demo. This long and low trend has really changed how bikes feel in a particular size.

For example - I'm 6'1" (34" inseam) and have ALWAYS been a solid L rider. I demo'd a GG Megatrail and the L felt huge. The M was more "my style" as far as feel, but the amount of seatpost required for pedaling was an issue.

Similar situation with a L Giant Reign. Just felt too big. Ended up with a L Trance, because it felt nearly the same as my old Reign (2010) - and that's really all I was looking for.

I suppose I could have gotten used to the long/low L bikes in those other models... but I'm too old for that change-my-style shit.

Thanks everyone! I’ll keep looking, probably focusing on large sizes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

At 5'11" you're squarely a Large in every brand I can think of, easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    At 5'11" you're squarely a Large in every brand I can think of, easy decision.
    Yes, L. Hopefully all the feedback makes it easy.

really the only thing I could think of that would make you a medium is if you had freakishly long quad/femurs and you need to move the seat way way back. And you have t rex arms. I assume very few people have that combo.

Disagree with simply saying "you are large in almost everything".

I'd much rather ride a bike a little small on me than something larger. I am 5'10 and fit magically on a M Pivot Les. But - I am a long arm/leg guy.

Once you find the dimensions you are most comfortable with, then you can shop by measurements alone. But until then, demo.