Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    What else would you put in the Prime 2.0's category that is worth looking at?
    Depends on what you’re looking for, but I recall the MTN Explore 95 being up there, but less secure edgehold but also less slarvy. Its a bit easier going though too. There’s not a lot of options around 1600g if I recall. There’s a few at 1700+ and 1800+ that are worth looking at of course. And a few under 1500g that definitely made performance tradeoffs to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Depends on what you’re looking for, but I recall the MTN Explore 95 being up there, but less secure edgehold but also less slarvy. Its a bit easier going though too. There’s not a lot of options around 1600g if I recall. There’s a few at 1700+ and 1800+ that are worth looking at of course. And a few under 1500g that definitely made performance tradeoffs to get there.
    How light of a binding would you ski on a 1700g ski? Got an example? I think I'm headed this way. Thanks.

How light of a binding would you ski on a 1700g ski? Got an example? I think I'm headed this way. Thanks.
    Salomon mtn would work great at 300g

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Touring for turns ski for the alps. Mantra V-Works or BMT90?

For any ski I intend to tour with, of any weight... I’d either pick one of... 110/140g ATK (or similar), Vipec, Tecton or Shift. I don’t see any reason to use the 150g-600g bindings (except the Vipec).

The jump from ATK to Vipec happens for deeper snow skis where I’m skiing fast and jumping off stuff. The jump from ATK to Tecton happens for variable snow skis at around 2000g. The jump from Tecton to Shift happens for variable snow skis where I’m skiing fast and jumping off stuff.

For any ski I intend to tour with, of any weight... I’d either pick one of... 110/140g ATK (or similar), Vipec, Tecton or Shift. I don’t see any reason to use the 150g-600g bindings (except the Vipec).

The jump from ATK to Vipec happens for deeper snow skis where I’m skiing fast and jumping off stuff. The jump from ATK to Tecton happens for variable snow skis at around 2000g. The jump from Tecton to Shift happens for variable snow skis where I’m skiing fast and jumping off stuff.
    Thanks for the detail. I've skied a few brands of ATK and thought they were the best AT bindings I've skied, but I like having two heights which cover the prongs. Looks like the 110 to 140g only come with one riser height? How are you modding another level?

Thanks for the detail. I've skied a few brands of ATK and thought they were the best AT bindings I've skied, but I like having two heights which cover the prongs. Looks like the 110 to 140g only come with one riser height? How are you modding another level?
    Used a dremel’d piece of cutting board plastic from Walmart and titanium rod from Amazon to create my own lightweight version of a splitboard riser that is screwed in front of the heelpiece. Access to a 3d printer would work better than a dremel tool.

For minimal work, you can just go buy the splitboard one and remove one riser:
    https://www.voile.com/voile-splitboa...ing-heels.html

Or you can just buy the risers if you don’t want to make your own with titanium rod:
    https://www.voile.com/voile-switchba...ires-65mm.html

My version was quite a bit lighter though at 14g. I can’t recall the others’ weights, but I think it was 30-40g?

It’s pretty sweet since the riser works even in ATK’s flat mode.

Why the Vipec over any other similar binding? The toe?

@Lindahl between the ATK Trofeo / SLR and the Vipec there is the R12 which provides brakes and heel elasticity for 330g plus wider mounting pattern.
    You don’t think this one can have a place in a quiver ?
    Plus the 2020 seems to fits the supposed Volkl V Werks mounting H Pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Why the Vipec over any other similar binding? The toe?
    Yeah. I wrote a lot about why over at Blister in my Vipec review.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    @Lindahl between the ATK Trofeo / SLR and the Vipec there is the R12 which provides brakes and heel elasticity for 330g plus wider mounting pattern.
    You don’t think this one can have a place in a quiver ?
    Plus the 2020 seems to fits the supposed Volkl V Werks mounting H Pattern.
    I don’t see the value in brakes or elastic heel for the extra 150g+, but thats a personal choice. Do you prefer brakes? Are you worried about consistent heel release on super soft skis or in extreme corner case scenarios?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 10-25-2019 at 11:28 PM.

I don’t see the value in brakes or elastic heel for the extra 150g+, but thats a personal choice. Do you prefer brakes? Are you worried about consistent heel release on softer skis in corner case scenarios?
    What are "corner case scenarios"?

What are "corner case scenarios"?
    When the ski overflexes to an extreme. I probably should have just said... do you have problems with consistent vertical heel release that shouldn’t be solved with a higher release value?

Note: I like 11 RV on both tech and alpine bindings for powder skis when I might be catching air, so I use the Trofeo 10 on my UL powder skis. For firm snow skis I’ve never had issue with vertical heel release and can get away with the SLR no problem.

I'm looking at putting a pair of Fritschi Xenic 10's on a pair of Mantra M-Werks 178's as a day tour set up. I've been touring in the alps since the early 80's (yes, I'm that old) and am not tough on equipment. Any issues that I should be aware of with this combination? Does the mounting plate in the Mantras pose a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Choucas View Post
    I'm looking at putting a pair of Fritschi Xenic 10's on a pair of Mantra M-Werks 178's as a day tour set up. I've been touring in the alps since the early 80's (yes, I'm that old) and am not tough on equipment. Any issues that I should be aware of with this combination? Does the mounting plate in the Mantras pose a problem?
    Didn’t they eliminated the mount pattern restrictions last year (or this year)?

When the ski overflexes to an extreme. I probably should have just said... do you have problems with consistent vertical heel release that shouldn’t be solved with a higher release value?

Note: I like 11 RV on both tech and alpine bindings for powder skis when I might be catching air, so I use the Trofeo 10 on my UL powder skis. For firm snow skis I’ve never had issue with vertical heel release and can get away with the SLR no problem.
    Thanks for the detail. I do have problems with heels (ahem) and like the idea of the travel, but still have a few RV clicks higher to experiment with. I also really like the the two riser positions while the heel is in tour mode. Not a big deal to rotate, but one of the benefits of ATK is skinning with the prongs in position. Guess I have to weigh the pros and cons.
    Being able to ski big skis with super light bindings is the answer on paper at least. The best of all worlds. I'm more of a one-ski quiver though, so I may end up with an intermediate weight binding. Thanks again.

Didn’t they eliminated the mount pattern restrictions last year (or this year)?
    The mount pattern restrictions were never anything other than marketing malarky trying to steer folks to use Marker products. Expect just about 0% issues caused by mounting when using Xenics with v werks Mantras.

For reference, I've mounted seven v werks pairs with non-Marker bindings (Vipec, Tecton, MTNs). Zero issues thus far.

Thanks for the detail. I do have problems with heels (ahem) and like the idea of the travel,
    The travel is unlikely to make a difference - as I mentioned, its pretty corner-case.

I also really like the the two riser positions while the heel is in tour mode.
    You mean in flat mode? With the Trofeo or SLR and ski mode you have an almost flat mode and high mode with the homemade riser. And in flat mode, you have flat mode and the high mode. I wonder if you could pull the flap and use two homemade Ti risers for the same weight, hah.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    The mount pattern restrictions were never anything other than marketing malarky trying to steer folks to use Marker products. Expect just about 0% issues caused by mounting when using Xenics with v werks Mantras.

For reference, I've mounted seven v werks pairs with non-Marker bindings (Vipec, Tecton, MTNs). Zero issues thus far.
    Thanks for the info K-K. I surmised as much. Need to track down a pair of Xenic's now.

You mean in flat mode? With the Trofeo or SLR and ski mode you have an almost flat mode and high mode with the homemade riser. And in flat mode, you have flat mode and the high mode. I wonder if you could pull the flap and use two homemade Ti risers for the same weight, hah.
    No, I mean in ski mode. The almost flat mode ( I think ATK included it in almost all of their models) is fine for me unless the approach is pancake flat and longer than a km. Otherwise, the low riser in ski mode is great for 80% of my time. I just want a higher option in ski mode for the steeps so I don't stress the achilles.
    Your mod or Voile mod is easy to pole-tip up and down in the field?

Your mod or Voile mod is easy to pole-tip up and down in the field?
    Super easy to use in-field.

Adding a photo of the home-made high risers:

​my personal selection of bindings is atk R12 for under 1500g skis. (Dynastar mythic 97 and vertical factory) and tecton for katana v werks and new mantra v werks.

does anybody have any experience of mounting Mantra VWs somewhere in the +1 to +2 range? I am contemplating remounting my pair of 178s at +1 to +2 to gain stability/prevent nose lift at speed on groomers/harder snow aka being able to ski them with a more centered stance at speed. The plan is for them to see a fair bit of groomer time, as well as some touring.

I mounted my 177 Katanas at +2. I should perhaps have gone +3, but I can always remount at a later date. Bought the 177 length as they were initially destined to be a touring specific ski, but has since transitioned into the main ski in one of my quivers. I really like them so far - fun, stable and easy to ski.

BMT90s are very nice on the line imho - the more permissive nature of their midski makes them very easy to manipulate mounted on the line, so they will stay put

Does anyone know how the Faction Agent 2.0 compares to the Prime (which Lindahl rated so highly)? It looks like the Prime has been removed from their lineup.
    I bought some Ravens, but now I've got them in my hands they are quite a bit heavier than advertised (1750g vs 1600g @177 length) and I already have a 50:50 ski in that weight class so I'm thinking of passing them on (anyone in yurp want some?) and looking for something closer to 1500-1600g to pair up with some of the old green bellowed F1s.

As far as I know the prime received pretty mediocre reviews everywhere, so I am not surprised it is discontinued. The Agent comes from the Dictator mold, but with a lighter layup. The dictator which aparently was also toned down since the blister review -which made it sound like an unskiable missle.