Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

what was the resolution :)

I am very much interested and torn between Mantra v-Werkrs and BMT90 , leaning towards mantra . With a bit of a doubt of the 178 size. I am 47 170 lb, 5' 10 and most importantly new to touring ! so the thread is quite long , what was the decision that you made and any feed back on it?

I have 182 rossi s7 with huge rocker compared to Mantras , so there is the source of the doubt to the size of the skis.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    does anybody have any experience of mounting Mantra VWs somewhere in the +1 to +2 range? I am contemplating remounting my pair of 178s at +1 to +2 to gain stability/prevent nose lift at speed on groomers/harder snow aka being able to ski them with a more centered stance at speed. The plan is for them to see a fair bit of groomer time, as well as some touring.

I mounted my 177 Katanas at +2. I should perhaps have gone +3, but I can always remount at a later date. Bought the 177 length as they were initially destined to be a touring specific ski, but has since transitioned into the main ski in one of my quivers. I really like them so far - fun, stable and easy to ski.

BMT90s are very nice on the line imho - the more permissive nature of their midski makes them very easy to manipulate mounted on the line, so they will stay put
    Not the same ski but I have demo bindings on my Blaze 106 and I've settled at +2 so far as my favorite spot.

I ski neutral stance and they respond great... probably the most intuitive ski I've owned.

Bought some Katana 108 this summer (so haven't skied them yet) and put more demos on... going to start at +1 but wouldn't be surprised if I ended up +2.

Also of note is the blaze has only a 150g weight penalty in similar lengths, will float better in a wider width, probably has more rocker (if the VW has a similar profile to the non VW), can still handle firm conditions very well with the long running length, and you get the triple radius sidecut (which is the real deal). Also probably a bunch cheaper.

Mine are getting switched to touring duty so exactly what this thread tittle asks about. I'm 5'7" and currently 170 pounds and bought the 179 in the blaze and find them easy to manage.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by ma875b View Post
    I am very much interested and torn between Mantra v-Werkrs and BMT90 , leaning towards mantra . With a bit of a doubt of the 178 size. I am 47 170 lb, 5' 10 and most importantly new to touring ! so the thread is quite long , what was the decision that you made and any feed back on it?

I have 182 rossi s7 with huge rocker compared to Mantras , so there is the source of the doubt to the size of the skis.
    If you're new to touring you probably just don't know what you will like yet. I generally recommend people don't go too light for their first touring ski. The feeling of an ultra light ski can be unnerving if you're not used to it. If you have ski partners, get something similar to what they use.

As far as length goes, the S7 ski very short but are also heavy. At your size 178 should be fine. If it's too long for you ... are you good enough at skiing to be touring?

Hi, curious what the measured straight-pull actual length of the 170cm BMT 90 is. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums