Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 139
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    1,194
    Let's start a petition to install cup holders on the safety bars. What better way to assure that people will bring the bar down.

    Then they would lose the alcohol revenue.
    I like the bars and the footrests and while they don't 100% guarantee you won't fall out, they certainly help as they're something to hold onto if the lift stops suddenly and swings, etc. Not getting the false sense of security thing. It helps, no matter what you do there will always be some fuckwad that will find a way to show it's not idiot proof. Hence the ridiculous disclaimers on commercials. Do not attempt this at home.....

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11,375
    Hey Danno, I want to apologize for being a dick.

    This is nowhere near me, doesn't affect me so I am going to STFU now.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Ding Ding Ding!

    People who sign this petition should not have kids on the slopes, they should keep them securely tied to a couch at home so they won't have any chance of getting hurt. "Safety bars" only serve the illusion of safety, there is plenty of space for a kid, or most adults, to fall off a chair with the bar down, if they do stupid shit, or if the lifties don't give a proper boost to the little ones to get them seated.

    Free lift rides to adults accompanying kids? That is beyond bizarre on the stupid things to ask for scale.
    Yep. 'Safety bars' only make it better for a kid to slam their chin, snapping their head back to hit the seat as they slide off the chair. Better parenting is all that's required. Though impossible to achieve for some.
    Be always sure you're right ó THEN GO AHEAD!

    Itís not a date, itís a sport.TM STOP Boulderizing Golden!

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,117
    If you want complete safety do what a guy I rode a chair with does--wear a harness and clip into the chair. (He has epilepsy that's not completely controlled.)

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    20,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Hey Danno, I want to apologize for being a dick.

    This is nowhere near me, doesn't affect me so I am going to STFU now.
    I didn't think you were being a dick, but thanks for the apology.

    The problem with magic carpet is that there are 6 year olds that are well past that in ability level, but they're still 6 year olds. And 6 year olds, even good ones, do stupid shit on the regular. And while I have talked to and trained my now 8 year old on lift safety, I don't think it's appropriate for a lesson program to expect that 6 year olds can ride the lifts unsupervised. At minimum, the parents should be alerted (but of course the resort doesn't want to do this because many people will not put their kids in lessons if this was shared).

    I don't think the solution is safety bars, but taking a class of 6 year olds on a double chair is a little problematic.

    Ultimately, though, this was an accident that was more about an inattentive lifty than it was about lack of a safety bar or lack of an adult.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I didn't think you were being a dick, but thanks for the apology.

    The problem with magic carpet is that there are 6 year olds that are well past that in ability level, but they're still 6 year olds. And 6 year olds, even good ones, do stupid shit on the regular. And while I have talked to and trained my now 8 year old on lift safety, I don't think it's appropriate for a lesson program to expect that 6 year olds can ride the lifts unsupervised. At minimum, the parents should be alerted (but of course the resort doesn't want to do this because many people will not put their kids in lessons if this was shared).

    I don't think the solution is safety bars, but taking a class of 6 year olds on a double chair is a little problematic.

    Ultimately, though, this was an accident that was more about an inattentive lifty than it was about lack of a safety bar or lack of an adult.
    Instructors should be physically able to lift 6 year old up onto a lift without too much trouble. But that would cut down significantly on the instructor population.

    There should probably be one lifty helping load folks/manicuring snow, and one lifty on botton duty. But this is a significant added cost.

    Beginner lifts should probably have lifts come in lower than normal. would be a bitch for adults, but would be much safer for the little folks.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    607
    Velcro seats and Velcro butt patches on the pants. Done and done.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,499
    Safety bar on the new chair has a vertical post that goes between your legs and rests on the seat. I think that might at least help with the slipping under the bar problem.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    20,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Safety bar on the new chair has a vertical post that goes between your legs and rests on the seat. I think that might at least help with the slipping under the bar problem.
    And will also permanently prevent unwanted (and wanted) pregnancies if you aren't careful!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,499
    ^^ Eldora's true long term plan to keep kids from falling out of chairs.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I didn't think you were being a dick, but thanks for the apology.

    The problem with magic carpet is that there are 6 year olds that are well past that in ability level, but they're still 6 year olds. And 6 year olds, even good ones, do stupid shit on the regular. And while I have talked to and trained my now 8 year old on lift safety, I don't think it's appropriate for a lesson program to expect that 6 year olds can ride the lifts unsupervised. At minimum, the parents should be alerted (but of course the resort doesn't want to do this because many people will not put their kids in lessons if this was shared).

    I don't think the solution is safety bars, but taking a class of 6 year olds on a double chair is a little problematic.

    Ultimately, though, this was an accident that was more about an inattentive lifty than it was about lack of a safety bar or lack of an adult.
    At our local hill, the only beginner chairs are old doubles. During lessons, they typically run them a little slower. At the bottom, the kids load next to the lifties and the lifties give them a boost if they look like they need it. Instructors always ask an adult to ride with the kids if the instructor can't ride with them. Once kids show they can handle the chair (as an instructor, I ride with them a couple times to judge), then they can ride without an adult. 6 is about the youngest I would have them do that. Basically we try our best to keep the kids safe.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't know about y'all, but petition or not, I'm not comfortable with a 6 year old kid in a lesson routinely going up on a chairlift without an adult.
    absofuckinglutely.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,092
    bunion: "when i was a kid we walked to school 9 miles each way in 4 feet of snow naked."

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,407
    Basically, in effect, these people are saying that there shouldnít be group ski lessons for kids. There arenít a sizable enough pool of competent adult skiers lining up to ride these beginner lifts. If Eldora does this = only private one on one lesson.

    Free tickets to ride up with kids? Wonít happen.

    Lift safety bars. Custom retrofit for old lifts? Not going to stop what happened to the girl at Eldora it was apparently at loading.

    but those Boulder Moms are sure going to try to do something, even if it means no lessons for little kids


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    3,334
    Rope tows and T-Bars... with softer springs to handle little kids. I remember getting picked up by t-bars when I was little hahahaha
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    8,165
    I kinda wonder how bunion, old goat, me and the other “seasoned veterans” on this board ever survived with only fixed grip doubles and no safety bars...
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I kinda wonder how bunion, old goat, me and the other “seasoned veterans” on this board ever survived with only fixed grip doubles and no safety bars...
    Do we really want our kids to grow up and become like you three?

    But honestly, everytime ive skied outside the country and run into ski school rugrats ive been asked to chaperone on the lift. Was forced to take the Blackcomb T-bar with a 3'6" living monologue and was terrified because the kids butt height put the handle just barely above the top of my boots. At least his life story kept me entertained. I don't see the issue with this... kinda like the exit row on a plane you can always opt out, but id be more than happy to move up in line and chaperone while listening to some ridiculous conversation... or silence. Im cool with that too.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Do we really want our kids to grow up and become like you three?
    What?
    You mean older, still alive and still skiing?
    Alpental Indigenous

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,956
    I skied Eldora Sunday with my four year old, and rode all the lifts around the beginner area. Instructors we asking adults to ride up with kids. The problem with this is that everyone they asked was an adult skiing the bunny hill without kids. In other words, they weren't exactly masters of the chairlift. A couple who said yes didn't seem all that confident in their ability to be a ski lift buddy.

    I also noticed the all the lifties were extra attentive and polite. As others have mentioned, even the safety bars that won't let anyone slip under (I've seen a few different solutions two of which are easily retrofittable) won't eliminate accidents while loading. You need someone with eyes on the loading and unloading zones ready to stop the lift and help out.

    And the Boulder parents circulating this bullshit need to fuck off. And I mean in general, not just with respect to chairlift safety.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,117
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Instructors should be physically able to lift 6 year old up onto a lift without too much trouble. But that would cut down significantly on the instructor population.
    My kid taught the youngest kids one season and did pro patrol at squaw one season. He thought teaching those kids was more physically demanding. Plus on patrol he didn't have to deal with people wetting their pants. I assume.

    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I kinda wonder how bunion, old goat, me and the other “seasoned veterans” on this board ever survived with only fixed grip doubles and no safety bars...
    Rope tow
    Last edited by old goat; 03-19-2019 at 10:54 AM.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,117
    Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    What?
    You mean older, still alive and still skiing?
    Barely

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,970
    I always thought it would be a dream to own and operate a ski resort, and then I hear about Eldora and all the bullshit and say fuck that noise.
    Live Free or Die

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    8,165
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Do we really want our kids to grow up and become like you three?
    How we turned out is beside the point. Point is, we survived to adulthood despite lack of safety bars. Old Goat sez he only rode rope tows, and I rode mammoths up the hill in my earliest days, but I cannot remember anybody falling off a lift at Timberline, Ski Bowl or Mt Hood Meadows during my 40+ years skiing there. I did go around the bullwheel once hanging by my suspenders, but I was ~40 at the time. Sustained an Atomic Wedgie and a severe hematoma to the ego.

    Show of hands - how many of y'all have either fallen out of a chair after it was more than 30 yards from the loading platform, or know someone who did?
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bethel, Maine
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Velcro seats and Velcro butt patches on the pants. Done and done.
    Only if you're going to put live webcams at the unload stations.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    20,674
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    How we turned out is beside the point. Point is, we survived to adulthood despite lack of safety bars. Old Goat sez he only rode rope tows, and I rode mammoths up the hill in my earliest days, but I cannot remember anybody falling off a lift at Timberline, Ski Bowl or Mt Hood Meadows during my 40+ years skiing there. I did go around the bullwheel once hanging by my suspenders, but I was ~40 at the time. Sustained an Atomic Wedgie and a severe hematoma to the ego.

    Show of hands - how many of y'all have either fallen out of a chair after it was more than 30 yards from the loading platform, or know someone who did?
    First off, just because you did something and survived doesn't mean that was was the safest way or even safe. I grew up without seatbelts or car seats, but that doesn't mean I don't use one now or didn't strap my kid in one when she was really little (and she still uses a booster). Second, just because you didn't hear about something doesn't mean it didn't happen. The town crier was too busy back then to be bothered with chairlift accidents, if he even found out about such things.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •