Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teen ski- what after mantra JR

Kids been on the Jr for years
    What is the next step?

Oldest demo’d a few skis
    They were ok until the faction 3.0 which he loved and felt at home on

So . . .

Anything 160ish playful poppy etc that comes to mind?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    What is the next step?

Oldest demo’d a few skis

So . . .

Check out Liberty Origin series. Think they would fit the description

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

If he liked the faction 3.0, why not just go with that? Too $$$? If so, what's your budget?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    If he liked the faction 3.0, why not just go with that? Too $$$? If so, what's your budget?
    Faction jr skis aren’t bad price wise. The Rossi S7 Pro is also a good teen ski. I have faction 3.0s new in a 176 I’d sell if you think he’s gonna grow.

My god son is currently on the Cochise Jr and it works well for him. Takes a bit more effort to drive the tip than the Mantra, but he is not a large or strong kid and has no problem with them. Rides them daily. Ice and pow.

Teen ski- what after mantra JR

Maybe the mini bent chetlers? I’m not sure if they have it in 160

Edit: They do have 163s.

Here’s a link: https://shop.atomic.com/en-us/produc...63-aa3305.html

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What is the next step?

Oldest demo’d a few skis

So . . .

Height and weight? My kid was on Mantra Jr, Shiro Jr, and Völkl One. He skipped the 160-something range as he grew a ton last summer. Now he skis Devastators, Enforcer 100’s, and Billy Goats. That jump got expensive.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Kid rips
    Smooth carver, pow slayer. Getting sendy now.
    95 pounds, 4.5 feet

Demo’d Santa Anna/enforcer. Did well. But then on the faction 3 he was all smiles.

Just looking for ideas of what to get on spring discount or used.
    . . .

Kid rips
    Smooth carver, pow slayer. Getting sendy now.
    95 pounds, 4.5 feet

Demo’d Santa Anna/enforcer. Did well. But then on the faction 3 he was all smiles.

Just looking for ideas of what to get on spring discount or used.
    Hit up ptex to see what he has left. Crazy solid deals but probably low on stock now

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Blizzard Rustler Team Pro

It was a one and done for 18/19

It’s a 164 Rustler 10 in a different graphic for less money. On sale if you can find it would be a great deal for an adult ski.

My kid was on same ski and had 152 confessions for pow. Once those felt small, he demo'd Sally lux 92s in 161 (not by choice) and loved them. He doesn't care about the graphics.

Another buddy has on3p Jesse's in same size and loves (more centered stance).

He is 5'3" 100lb, and aggressive but not perfect form. Probably start men's skis next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just get some red ones.

This place is slipping.

2018 Faction Candide 2.0 Jr. rawks. Comes in a 145, 155, and 165, at 95mm underfoot. My 10 year old son is on the 145, and is still pretty ecstatic about them. I've taken him everywhere this year, and on them he's been hucking ~10 ft cliffs, bombing moguls and steep tree runs and moguled out steep tree runs, and tearing up waist deep (to me) powder with finesse. I think he's leveled up quite a bit on them. Enough to make me start feeling self-conscious about my age.

If you want something wider, the grownup version is available in a 166 and 102 underfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    My kid was on same ski and had 152 confessions for pow. Once those felt small, he demo'd Sally lux 92s in 161 (not by choice) and loved them. He doesn't care about the graphics.

Another buddy has on3p Jesse's in same size and loves (more centered stance).

He is 5'3" 100lb, and aggressive but not perfect form. Probably start men's skis next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I really like the suggestion of a women’s ski. The issue becomes the weight of the skier...too heavy for a kids’ ski but not heavy enough for an adult unisex ski (in most cases).

My kid complained about his Shiro getting pushed around in heavy or variable snow. Getting a short adult length helped a ton making that go away. The core was thinker and ski was just more stable all the way around.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

My son loved moment PB&J‘s After retiring is Junior skis
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Scott Scrapper 95 or the 95W

i'm in the same dilemma - my guy is 12 80 lbs soaking wet and 5 ft, very smooth and rips, he's on 4FRT 137s this year and they look ridiculously small for him these days, these K2 Mindbender Jr Team look like they could be a great ski though no deals for now, like that idea of the Blizzard Russler Team Pro anyone have their kids on Armada Tantrum?

Bump. Looking for a pair of AM skis for an aggressive 14 year old, 5'6" 130 lbs. Was previously on Mantra jr's and Rossi Black Ops jr (160). Skis a lot of bumps and steeps, 99% off piste. Any updated suggestions? Would Line Sick Day 104 be a good option? Seeing some good labor day deals.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Bump. Looking for a pair of AM skis for an aggressive 14 year old, 5'6" 130 lbs. Was previously on Mantra jr's and Rossi Black Ops jr (160). Skis a lot of bumps and steeps, 99% off piste. Any updated suggestions? Would Line Sick Day 104 be a good option? Seeing some good labor day deals.
    My opinion (worth it's weight) is to get that kid on an adult ski if he's an aggressive skier. So many options out there, I'd probably demo a few skis with him to find his preferences. I like long rocker lines for off piste skiing and a bit of camber underfoot. Maybe a bit lighter of a ski for a younger kid. Immediately, K2 Mindbender and Reckoner come to mind. Pick the one that clicks with him. Waist width depends on how much soft snow you ski. 100-ish should do it all pretty well (except ice). Mindbender is more of a driver and Reckoner is more playful. Both are really common around here with Big Mountain team kids. Not terribly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    My opinion (worth it's weight) is to get that kid on an adult ski if he's an aggressive skier. So many options out there, I'd probably demo a few skis with him to find his preferences. I like long rocker lines for off piste skiing and a bit of camber underfoot. Maybe a bit lighter of a ski for a younger kid. Immediately, K2 Mindbender and Reckoner come to mind. Pick the one that clicks with him. Waist width depends on how much soft snow you ski. 100-ish should do it all pretty well (except ice). Mindbender is more of a driver and Reckoner is more playful. Both are really common around here with Big Mountain team kids. Not terribly expensive.
    Thanks!. Funny, I've been looking at both those skis for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My son loved moment PB&J‘s After retiring is Junior skis
    Yeah, all my boys at one point were on the women's or smaller Moments, Sierra, PB&J, Exit Worlds, etc. Good solid choices, great company and good resale value.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

11-16 has always been a weird interim for kids. Biggest thing I found was making sure whatever adult ski you got for them, that they could bend the tip appropriately. They're in a weird height:weight ratio as they get more muscle structure, and leverage becomes a bit wonky for a lot of teens. It's further complicated by their growing feet - arguably the much harder issue to address.

In the past I recommended a lot of twins because of how well the tips bend. Particularly true if they're slamming a lot of bumps. STP has some good deals on Faction if you wanna put him on a a women's ski.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Anyone want a cheap ski for a growing teen, I have some 184 Faction CT (candide) 3.0 for sale for $100 + ship. Nice ski. Pivot mount at about 306.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks!. Funny, I've been looking at both those skis for myself.
    Depending on the day, I could ski either of them myself. I've been thinking of adding a Mindbender 99Ti for lower tide, off piste and groomer, days. A 112 Reckoner could cover all of my soft snow needs. Good skis and you can usually find great deals on them.

When kiddo is still very light, I go to a bigger ski swap, like the one in truckee. I look for skis that are typically on the shorter side of the scale, or have a bit of flex. I look for mid-fat 95-105-ish, a fit of soft flex, modern design, and tuneable. I try to find deals. If I can find one, I also look for a fatter ski. If the kid dials into the skis, great! If they don’t, then I get creative with consignment shops.

Bindings: sometimes I’ll find a ski I want for the kid w/o bindings. If that happens, I find a cheap ski with good bindings and buy it just for the bindings. I’ve scored pretty well with that system.