Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Europeans don’t like custom footbeds?

Nordica’s website says that Americans are taught that custom footbeds are essential, but that Europeans see them as a novelty item.

Do purebred ethnic groups have genes that make feet not need custom footbeds, do most custom footbeds really not do an awful lot for most feet, and/or are custom footbeds a product of American capitalism (sell the consumer as much as possible)?

Or is it some cultural thing (in America we are taught we are all unique and have individual needs; maybe in Europe things are slightly different in that regard)? In America, things built for us uniquely give us a sense of pride; this is MY footbed!

I dunno; the footbed is the first thing between you and Mother Earth as she pulls you down with gravity. The footbed is really the first thing through which you exert probably 70-99% of the forces skiing.

In a college psych class we learned that human faces are all like 95-99% similar, but that a special area of the brain developed to discern small differences.

Well, really, how much variation is there in the bottom of feet (aside from arch height and length) such that those minute variations actually affect comfort or skiing?

What do the euros know that Americans and Canadians don’t!?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't have all the answers, but I use an off the shelf footbed and am developing a foot issue, named after a guy Morton, to where I can't ski. In a nordica boot no less.

WAT?

the Euros also don't really punch boots very often, either.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

They discipline their feet not to pronate
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    They discipline their feet not to pronate
    because they are not chronically overweight? (since we're generalizing here)

You can pry my footbeds from my cold, dead hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

More money for cigarettes and pointy toe clown shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    You can pry my footbeds from my cold, dead hands.
    They're supposed to be on your feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

They also ski in boots that are too big and generally dont bootfit unless they race.

Who is your bootfitter that has messed you up like this?

Everyone who’s somewhat serious about skiing and would read TGR or something similar usually has aftermarket footbeds in the Alps. It’s common practice now among younger folks, but I know lots of older people who ski their 80s rear-entry boots with double cotton socks.

Generally speaking, the level of boot-fitting in mainland Europe pales in comparison to things in North America, the UK, or Australia (yes, it does seem to be more of an English-speaking phenomenon). Most shops aren't doing shell fits, let alone educating people on footbeds and sock choice.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this and there are some very reputable boot-fitters and shops that legitimately know how to fit boots. But, these are the exception not the norm. The average boot-fitter in the US would be doing things that most shops in central Europe don't do.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    Everyone who’s somewhat serious about skiing and would read TGR or something similar usually has aftermarket footbeds in the Alps. It’s common practice now among younger folks,
    Aftermarket footbeds yes. I don't think custom footbeds are particularly popular in the German speaking countries.

Here's a theory....

Skiers in German speaking countries tend to be very influenced by what the racers do. When children start skiing in boots from the ski swap, the ones who don't need custom footbeds will do better than those who do, so the introduction of racing at a young age selects racers with good feet.

Consequence of the above is that many adult WC racers don't use custom footbeds, and the average Hans looks at the WC racers and says 'If custom foot beds were necessary, the WC racers would use them.'

Additionally, the racing rules about height of the foot above the snow may also discourage WC racers from using custom footbeds.

I duno if its still the same but I remember looking at Garmont web site and they had a number of models of AT boot not available in NA

the entire NA market used to be about the same as an average euro country
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Most people probably don't need custom footbeds... but for those of us who do, they're essential.

According to Running Warehouse, most runners have some degree of overpronation. Between 50 percent and 60 percent of runners are considered mild pronators while 20 percent to 30 percent are severe overpronators. The rest of the population has a normal amount of pronation or tend to supinate, or allow their foot to roll out, as they run and walk.
    . . .

Have spent way too much time in Chamonix with boot fitters (don’t ask). The ones that speak English well enough to work with American clients seem pretty on board with custom footbeds.

It would not surprise me if a lower percentage of European skiers had custom foot beds because it would not surprise me if a lower percentage of European skiers give a shit. That said, many more Europeans ski so perhaps the total number on custom footbeds is similar to North America. No master foot race theories needed.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    The average boot-fitter in the US would be doing things that most shops in central Europe don't do.
    I don't think there is an "average" bootfitter in the US. bootfitters are, in my observation, pretty rare. Most shops are pretty shitty.

my other observation is TGR yanks like to come up with comically absurd generalizations of "euros"

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Who is your bootfitter that has messed you up like this?
    Asking the real questions here
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Generally speaking, the level of boot-fitting in mainland Europe pales in comparison to things in North America, the UK, or Australia (yes, it does seem to be more of an English-speaking phenomenon). Most shops aren't doing shell fits, let alone educating people on footbeds and sock choice.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this and there are some very reputable boot-fitters and shops that legitimately know how to fit boots. But, these are the exception not the norm. The average boot-fitter in the US would be doing things that most shops in central Europe don't do.
    I've been in two seemingly well-stocked and well-regarded shops in Austria this week, and neither had much to alter shells with other than a hydraulic expander and a grinder (was looking for fifth met punches for someone in my group). One guy insisted the boots needed to be left overnight for the punches to hold, the other guy tried to sell us a footbed saying it would solve the problem but didn't actually offer customs. Any second year fitter in our shop would probably be a god if he could bring over the right tools and get around the language barrier.

PS @onenerdykid - Drove by Altenmarkt about two hours ago but couldn't stop. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    my other observation is TGR yanks like to come up with comically absurd generalizations of "euros"
    This^

Also, I have lived in 3 euro ski resorts, and one Canadian over the last ten+ years. I have also worked as a boot fitter in France and Canada and I feel like custom foot beds are just as popular within the same demographic in euro and N.America.

For the record I now work on skis, 5 days a week, and dislike custom insoles for my boots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Have spent way too much time in Chamonix with boot fitters (don’t ask). The ones that speak English well enough to work with American clients seem pretty on board with custom footbeds.
    Both of my good pairs of footbeds are from Cham. Sol and one other place
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

i've got both and ime as long as a footbed works it doesn't need to be custom
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I don't think there is an "average" bootfitter in the US. bootfitters are, in my observation, pretty rare. Most shops are pretty shitty.

I've visited tons of shops on both sides of the pond, and the level of boot-fitting in central Europe is far below that of North America.