Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MTB and Surf: in da same spot?

I wanna combine my two favorite non-snow-sliding activities in a vacation: MTB and surfing. I ride lots, and surf at a hardcore mediocre level.

Where are ideal destinations for both? I'm thinking Santa Cruz is at top of the list... Where else?

Most importantly: where in the tropics can you do both? I'd like to ride in the morning and then surf all afternoon in board shorts.

Whatcha got peoples??

[Inspired by El Kanone's post: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...5#post5622155]
    sproing!

Have a look on Trailforks and scroll around on the map. A quick scan shows the Baja (San Jose) with some possibly good riding options.

I wonder how Madeira is for surf?

Then there seems to be the yearly Bali stories on Pinkbike showing MTB riding. I keep thinking of bringing a bike but I'm pretty hesitant to believe its actually any good, plus the surfing is SO much better to think about riding and driving to/from would be a nightmare.

Other rad but slightly cooler options:
    North island New Zealand?
    Peniche, PT
    San Sebastian, SP
    Last edited by robnow; 03-15-2019 at 12:39 AM.

For tropics probably costa rica.

For closer, San Diego, OC and LA would all work. And would have warmer water than Santa Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    For tropics probably costa rica.
    A local buddy organizes TransCR located in Providencia and a bunch of our crew who regularly race the BC Enduro series, TransBC, etc have gone and really enjoyed the riding there, however, as with most other tropical destinations, it seems the riding and the surfing are too far separated to logistically enjoy both in a day.

Buddy of mine just got back from Baja where he keeps a van in storage full of toys. This was the first time he rented a MTB, said the riding was good and the scene is growing. lots of cactii wanting to kill you

If you learn to surf river waves your mtn bike options go WFO.
    watch out for snakes

I used to do this a decent amount when I lived in Ventura. Best days were:

Santa Barbara / Carp - Ride Romero, surf Mondos or Rincon

Malibu - Ride Sycamore Canyon, surf County Line

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Also - to add...

I don’t know how good of shape you are in but the surf bike combo is pretty taxing. The second shift is going to be a sufferfest.

Even though the surf is better in the AM, I prefer to bike in the morning and surf in the afternoon. I don’t have the best cycling fitness, but I played polo for 20 years so I can swim for days....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

nickwm - thanks for the specific recs! My wife is a college swimmer (and HS water polo'er), so she can swim all day too - pretty jealousy-inspiring! I've done MTB/surf in the Pacifica/Half Moon Bay area, but your version sounds way better...

robnow - great ideas. And you hit the nail on the head with what I've seen - the MTB and the surf tend to be far away from one another. In an ideal world, I'd like to ride from the beach shack and then surf from it later that day! I'm surprised Hawaii doesn't have something on tap.

evdog, my FIL lives in Encinitas, and is a lifelong surfer, so I've played down there a bunch on mini-vacations. But Enci really sucks - tons of drugs (METH), awful humans, traffic, and shitty weather, so I'd never recommend someone go there.
    sproing!

Probably somewhere in CR or Panama.

Baja/Punta San Carlos.

Check in with the boys/girls at Solo Sports: http://www.solosports.net/

Other than the water temp, I think it's gonna be hard to beat Santa Cruz for high quality surf and mtb within reasonable distance for each. Santa Barbara would be my next thought.

Maybe Chile?

Subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I used to do this a decent amount when I lived in Ventura. Best days were:

Santa Barbara / Carp - Ride Romero, surf Mondos or Rincon

Malibu - Ride Sycamore Canyon, surf County Line
    This was pretty much going to be my exact answer. Used to live in SB and still go down there several times a year for work and bring my bike every time. The trails around there are legit. I would also suggest Jesusita / Tunnel and Camuesa (just over the hill towards Santa Ynez). If you're staying in Santa Barbara you can also tack on some fun end of day laps at Elings park.

My cousin lives in San Clemente (love Trestles) so it provides an awesome excuse for a surf/bike road trip (plus get to stop in Utah on the way down), especially last fall when we were snowed under in September and there seemed to be a constant supply of hurricanes/swell hitting CA. However I've been finding the novelty of riding Laguna/San Juan/Trabuco? getting stale, even though I truly appreciate the fitness aspect, and found myself last trip putting in more double surf sessions than biking. Surprisingly I don't find the San Clemente-Laguna traffic to be much of a bother.

ALWAYS surf first, bike later!

Some other options looking at Trailforks:
    Gold Coast, OZ
    Noosa, OZ

Looked up surfing in Madeira, TONS of rad riding but a very rocky coast and mostly punishing waves?

^
    you i might want to look into the Gold Coast, OZ.
    ive never been there myself, however, a friend and his family spent a year living in coolangata. His day-in-a-life observations included, waking up to the sight/sound/smell of Snapper Rock / Kirra / Superbank from off his balcony, paddling into some of gold coasts warmest and finest, peddling a few minutes up the road for some xc trail riding, or driving about 20-30min to boomerang bike park or Nerang NP for some newschool riding.
    yes i do regret not having ever made time for a visit.
    Last edited by I, the Powfinder; 03-15-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: grammar
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This was pretty much going to be my exact answer. Used to live in SB and still go down there several times a year for work and bring my bike every time. The trails around there are legit. I would also suggest Jesusita / Tunnel and Camuesa (just over the hill towards Santa Ynez). If you're staying in Santa Barbara you can also tack on some fun end of day laps at Elings park.
    Water is cold, surf is flat, trails are thrashed...nothing to see here.

Gold Coast has nice surf but I’d hate to stay there for a vacation. The city itself is kind of a shit hole with ugly high rises. My wife and I were much bigger fans of Byron Bay... didn’t go biking there but the surrounding terrain seemed hilly enough that I’d be shocked if there aren’t some good trails around.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Ya, haven't been to Byron in a long long time, but much nicer than surfers and more hills. Lots of hills near noosa which would be nicer as well. GC is Waikiki south

Whoever said river surfing might be on to something. Jackson? Lunch Counter all morning pass laps all afternoon? More ride time in one surf than a week in the ocean.

bike down the baja with a surfboad en tow.

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/baja-divide/

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Whoever said river surfing might be on to something.
    Just too bad river surfing absolutely SUCKS compared to the real thing. We have some spots around here and I go occasionally on the way home from riding but to me it really is 1% the experience of ocean surfing. Munich is a little more fun, I'll give it 5%. This is why we ride bikes after all in our various land locked zones.

^this reminds me, he could vacation in beautiful Lemoore and ride the wave pool and mtn bike in the various drainage ditches nearby. lots of body dumps and used hypodermics make it pretty tech

I imagine this is something for your summer time. Surf wise, I would not bother with Santa Cruz as a destination. South swells are Inconsistent and NW winds common limiting one to surfing in town. So can be crowded and small. MTB, OTOH is plentiful and excellent. If you are thinking autumn, then I’d consider here a good location. And it is cheaper then as well.

Costa Rica and Panama are pretty wet during summer and I doubt the MTB would be good then. Maybe in the dry season.

D, Punta Venado mountain bike park about 30 mins south of Playa del Carmen literally has a shack serving food and beer on the beach, from which you can literally walk into the ocean to paddle out or pedal onto single track featuring rocks, iguanas, jungle plants, flattish berms and small jumps. The trails there are actually loads of fun, I had a blast. The waves looked like a shore break fun for body surfing when I was there February 2017 ... now idea if it’s consistent enough for a board and when to go, but that was the first thing that came to mind when you said beach shack with MTB and surf ...

You can look them up on Facebook. They have lots of vids on their page.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Oaxaca!

sproing!