Franken-bike Hard Tail

I’m probably going to get roasted for this, but here goes nothing. I’ve been wanting to get back into riding here in Alabama. My kids have expressed interest so I needed a bike. With 2 kids now and one on the way I’m on a budget. Fast forward to recently...A buddy gives me an 08ish Hardrock with decent components. The frame was way too big, like unrideable big. I had to drop into the local Walmart for some office supplies and see this proper sized framed Schwinn on clearance for $30. I picked it up and have been switching pieces parts and here’s what I’ve got so far. (Keep in mind this is just an XC bike to get back into riding some.)

Ditchwitch rims
    Truvativ Crank (need to swap)
    740mm bars
    Coda Saddle
    Deore Ft and RR derailleur (May go 1x9)
    Continental Mountain Kings
    Pedals haven’t been swapped yet
    Marzocchi Comp from the Hardrock
    Avid Mechanical disc
    New FSA headset

Total investment $130.00

For $130 all-in, fuck yeah. If you go 1x, if it will work with your cranks I have a 32t/104 BCD AbsoluteBlack N/W oval chainring you can have for shipping.

like it for the price.... and if it gets you out with your kids it's priceless!

Love seeing builds like this...looks like a fun setup for $130!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    For $130 all-in, fuck yeah.
    This...
    Well done.

I’ll give it a shot! I’ll shoot you a PM.

Thats solid work

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Thanks guys. I actually thought I’d catch more grief for the Schwinn frame...at this point that’s the only thing left on the Schwinn. I have spent a few more bucks but it will be under $200 once it’s all said and done. I am planning on the first trail ride this weekend.

That's awesome! I love franken-builds and making the best of what you got! For sub $200 it looks like a great ride!

I def recommend going 1x! You might want a different cassette for steeper climbs, but depending on what your riding you could be OK.

This thread inspired me to go down to the basement and take a photo of my free-99 find. Found this old trek next to a dumpster behind an apartment complex. It looked like my size so I threw it in the van. Added some spare parts I had lying around, saddle, handle bars, and some old lights, saddle bag and pedals. I'm about $80 in since I splurged on some retail priced tires and tubes from my LBS... coulda gone the Amazon route and I'd be ~$40 in haha.

I plan to cheaply convert mine to 1x soon. My plan for this bike is to be used as a round town/bar/loaner bike. It's funny, I have a $4000+ Ibis and right now I'm more stoked on this free bike! I actually really needed a beater/spare bike - Down the road if you get more into mountain biking you still have a nice spare ride to get your other buddies into it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9551.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	275063

I’m hoping this build will get me off of my ass and then bite the bullet on a nice full squish trail bike

Franken-bike Hard Tail

Not sure you could have done better for that ^ purpose. A few rides on a 2001 Xc bike got me hooked again.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-20-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks again k2josh for inspiring me. Today I went to the used bike store and got the parts needed to do the 1x conversion on my beater...

Next up is a cheap rigid fork to replace whatever the hell is on there now...

Name:	IMG_9567.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	275180

Happy riding!

Bad ass!! Guys, forgive my username...my first pair of skis were K2 and I thought it was the most original name ever!

That fork has a ton of character.

Took the stock Schwinn bits and built a neighborhood cruiser!

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	275580

sweet! gotta love riding bikes
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Little update...went 1x. Need an air fork and hydraulic brakes then maybe go 27.5 wheel set. I’m at around $200 total investment.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	325876