Revolt 124 vs BC Nocta vs other 120 fat rull rocker skis

After skiing my Devs in CO's bottomless pow this month, I'm convinced a 120 waisted Dev would be the perfect resort pow ski. Has anyone been riding the Revolt or Nocta this year? Neither seemed to be talked about a ton on here. I like to charge more on firmer snow but when its deep out I love playful surfy/slarvy skis that float effortlessly. I've had a pair of Magnum Opus in the past which I loved in pow, but now I'm fully drinking the reverse camber koolaid. Any other skis I should be checking out? Meridian 117? InThayne?

One of the Renegades that are trading around here for about $100?

Inthayne seems closest on paper to a fat Dev, I’ve never skied it.

I'm worried the Rens combo of super stiff and no symmetrical tip/tail rocker will make it more "locked" in than what I'm looking for and absolutely suck on anything hard. Never skied it however.

Ren feels great in Co powder. Plenty loose. Able slarve slow turns in trees and open it up no problem.

Also, it’s fine on Co hardpack. Not likely but not in any way spooky.

I think the Ren is about as close to as loose as a full reverse camber reverse sidecut ski as you can get, but it completely outperforms such a ski on firmer snow.

Buddy of mine about 5' 9", 180lbs has 185cm b.c. new noctas. Likes em if snow isn't bottomless or upside down where he's getting tip dive. Moved the mount back to minus 2, tips still diving.
    Master of mediocrity.

Sounds like the OG rens are what I want then, or maybe next years rens if they make them stiffer again.

Any Ren other than this year is probably OK, they only made them lighter in the last year or two of the 186 and 196 lengths but I did not hear many complaints about the lighter versions. I have 2014-15 version, wood sidewall and I’d probably trade my 196 for the lighter 196. I’m 5’7’’ 190-195ish

I'm 5'9 150, I'd probably go for the lighter 186s for the amount of trees I inevitably ski. Might hop on some 196s if I really love them for skiing bigger lines.

Ok, I’m going to offer a different perspective here. Obviously, YMMV.

I drank the subtle reverse camber koolaid a long time ago. Over the past decade, I’ve owned the old metal Volkl Katana, the Rossi Sickle, the Rossi Scimitar, the 4frnt EHP, the 4frnt Renegade, the 4frnt Raven, the 4frnt Devastator, the Volkl Two, and some minimal camber skis like the Faction Candide 4.0 and the Line TW Pro.

Of those skis, for me personally, the Renegade was the least versatile. This was 2nd gen, so maybe the ski feel has changed a lot since then. I know the specs have. And, to be fair, the magical smooth pow moments on the Ren were just that: magical. Frictionless, other worldly.

But I’m not Hoji. And for me, in anything but consistent soft snow, the Ren was a liability. Very stiff, small sweet spot, unforgiving, and not very damp. Not very good at a sustained slarve. For resort pow skiing I much preferred my Volkl Twos.

Again, nothing against 4FRNT or Hoji. I love their/his combination of subtle reverse camber, straighter shapes/long turn radii, and progressive mount points around -5cm from TC.

But if you truly love the Devs, I bet the InThayne or the Nocta or the Revolt might be a better fit than the Renegade.

I'm a huge fan of the meridian 117. Awesome for resort pow.

I'm a huge fan of the Noctas... and haven't had any tip dive at all, mounted on the line. And I'm generally a tip driving directional skier. I would recommend going on the longer side if between sizes, however. I had 185's and upgraded to the 190's.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Ok, I’m going to offer a different perspective here. Obviously, YMMV.

I drank the subtle reverse camber koolaid a long time ago. Over the past decade, I’ve owned the old metal Volkl Katana, the Rossi Sickle, the Rossi Scimitar, the 4frnt EHP, the 4frnt Renegade, the 4frnt Raven, the 4frnt Devastator, the Volkl Two, and some minimal camber skis like the Faction Candide 4.0 and the Line TW Pro.

Of those skis, for me personally, the Renegade was the least versatile. This was 2nd gen, so maybe the ski feel has changed a lot since then. I know the specs have. And, to be fair, the magical smooth pow moments on the Ren were just that: magical. Frictionless, other worldly.

But I’m not Hoji. And for me, in anything but consistent soft snow, the Ren was a liability. Very stiff, small sweet spot, unforgiving, and not very damp. Not very good at a sustained slarve. For resort pow skiing I much preferred my Volkl Twos.

Again, nothing against 4FRNT or Hoji. I love their/his combination of subtle reverse camber, straighter shapes/long turn radii, and progressive mount points around -5cm from TC.

But if you truly love the Devs, I bet the InThayne or the Nocta or the Revolt might be a better fit than the Renegade.
    interesting. I have owned 184-194 Dev, 186 and 193 EHP, 196 Rens and 185 Powderboards. I think the 196 Ren length helps eliminate the rocking horse effect in variable, but I’ve never skied the 186. I don’t find the Ren or PB to be awful in variable, but they wear my legs out in it, of course ymmv.

There is a set of inThaynes on GS too, but they’ll cost more than Rens.

Volkl One is 116 under foot but is a very nice resort pow ski option IMO as well. Most float I’ve experienced on a 116 UF ski, and the set I have access to is mounted +3 from recommended. Easier to ski in firmer variable than the Rens, but not quite as fun in powder. Carved groomers. Haven’t tried the Twos but they are a similar design. The Revolt might blend them.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-17-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_powder View Post
    ...I'm convinced a 120 waisted Dev would be the perfect resort pow ski. ...Any other skis I should be checking out?
    Maybe Volkl Shiro?

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I dunno, good luck man; rull rocker skis are pretty hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_powder View Post
    After skiing my Devs in CO's bottomless pow this month, I'm convinced a 120 waisted Dev would be the perfect resort pow ski. Has anyone been riding the Revolt or Nocta this year? Neither seemed to be talked about a ton on here. I like to charge more on firmer snow but when its deep out I love playful surfy/slarvy skis that float effortlessly. I've had a pair of Magnum Opus in the past which I loved in pow, but now I'm fully drinking the reverse camber koolaid. Any other skis I should be checking out? Meridian 117? InThayne?
    Isn’t the Revolt 124 just a re-badged Volkl Two? Lots of info on that ski. I owned a pair of 196’s and posted my impressions about them at the time. Shiro is a better ski, but does not charge enough for some skiers. They are a blast inbounds, though.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Shiros are fun, but for the deep days Kuros rule.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Shiros are fun, but for the deep days Kuros rule.
    I have a pair of 185's and can't figure em out...kinda throw me back seat where there's no tail. Played around with mount point from +1 to -2...not much difference. Was thinkin' maybe bend more rocker so the splay/tip curve starts earlier to make em feel more balanced for my style.

Put a full day in deep moist coastal pow conditions on the Shiro 185's...also no love. Threw me backseat..a bit better balance with a higher ramp angle but skis kinda felt rocking horsey. Went way forward and way back on mount points, skis just didn't feel right.

So far my custom rebent Volkl 2's feel the best...bent camber into them for some tail support and bent more curve into the shovels...still need more though at the tip. Tails are a bit too soft so next step is add stiffening i beams.

Any comments on Kuros and Shiros for mount point, ramp angle, etc...?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    I have a pair of 185's and can't figure em out...kinda throw me back seat where there's no tail. Played around with mount point from +1 to -2...not much difference. Was thinkin' maybe bend more rocker so the splay/tip curve starts earlier to make em feel more balanced for my style.

Put a full day in deep moist coastal pow conditions on the Shiro 185's...also no love. Threw me backseat..a bit better balance with a higher ramp angle but skis kinda felt rocking horsey. Went way forward and way back on mount points, skis just didn't feel right.

So far my custom rebent Volkl 2's feel the best...bent camber into them for some tail support and bent more curve into the shovels...still need more though at the tip. Tails are a bit too soft so next step is add stiffening i beams.

Any comments on Kuros and Shiros for mount point, ramp angle, etc...?
    I own 185 Kuros, and have skied a bit on 183 Shiros, both mounted on the traditional line, and using Salomon STH bindings with no modifications. I enjoy adjusting my technique around the qualities of different skis, and these are a fun contrast to my daily (DPS) drivers. Kuros have a slow rhythm, require only a subtle centred smeary turn initiation (let the sidecut and rocker do the work) and and eye for a longer line, but then they’re powder Cadillacs. Shiros are similar, but more versatile. 0.5ml of Indica tincture helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I own 185 Kuros, and have skied a bit on 183 Shiros, both mounted on the traditional line, and using Salomon STH bindings with no modifications. I enjoy adjusting my technique around the qualities of different skis, and these are a fun contrast to my daily (DPS) drivers. Kuros have a slow rhythm, require only a subtle centred smeary turn initiation (let the sidecut and rocker do the work) and and eye for a longer line, but then they’re powder Cadillacs. Shiros are similar, but more versatile. 0.5ml of Indica tincture helps.
    Roger that, KS...maybe the 0.5ml of Indica will help with my O.Ski.D. when it comes to accepting skis as they are rather than changing them to what I want them to be?

Ironically enough, I enjoyed the Kuros most inbounds on refrozen chopped coral reef on the steeps....pivot turn and the width steamrolled over all the lumps and bumps whereas skinnier skis caught outside edges on projecting icebergs and shit. Surprisingly little chatter...wouldn't call 'em damp, but not much edge chatter on bulletproof...also, slayed the shit outta soft smooth groomers...not great after the corduroy got all messed up but when fresh, oh boy, lean and carve DEEP trenches.

And, well, just throwin' it out there....if yer lookin' for a backup pair of the 185 Kuros and the 183 Shiros...let me know, mine are just collecting dust atm.
    Master of mediocrity.