Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 737 MAX

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    There are legitimate arguments for why you don't want more warning lights. Information overload, particularly in an emergency, is a known safety concern. So giving the customer the option to decide that themselves is reasonable (in theory--assuming things work as they're supposed to).
    So what's with the no smoking indicator lights? Haven't smoked on an airplane for 25 years, but yet every airplane has a non-smoking light. I think we've got it sussed now, can't smoke on a plane. So save some money, don't install the no smoking lights but install the fix/warning lights etc for the plane nose-diving. Damn, I should be an avionics consultant.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    So what's with the no smoking indicator lights? Haven't smoked on an airplane for 25 years, but yet every airplane has a non-smoking light. I think we've got it sussed now, can't smoke on a plane. So save some money, don't install the no smoking lights but install the fix/warning lights etc for the plane nose-diving. Damn, I should be an avionics consultant.
    Can we get the in flight peanuts back please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Name:  C4274B2D-9015-47DC-ADFE-D0B39421EC28.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  73.3 KB

When you blow a tire going 70 mph on the freeway, the tpms light becomes irrelevant.

Stick shaker activation on liftoff is a crap your pants moment. You don't need any extra warnings. The gravity of the situation was not lost on either of those crews.

Is gravity a pun?

Good catch ! ^^

thread drift : I figured out that if you feel the vehicle kind of sway and not come back reasonably fast as normal its cuz the tire is going soft so if you can get stopped fast enough you won't completely destroy the tire and it can still be patched
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Is gravity a pun?
    Boeing CEO Muilenburg said, "All of us feel the immense gravity of these events across our company and recognize the devastation of the families and friends of the loved ones who perished."
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Boeing CEO Muilenburg said, "All of us feel the immense gravity of these events across our company and recognize the devastation of the families and friends of the loved ones who perished."
    I'm sure he's feeling a fair amount of gravity from Boeing's major stockholders. Like Jupiter gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    whats the number, you know whats the lawsuit worth, how many billions, how is it tliable to play out ?

either way this is gona keep some lawyers in Perrier & water for yars to come eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I'm not a rocket surgerist but it seems the following legal paths are either active or will soon be pursued:
    - Insurers for Lion Air and Ethopian to seek recourse from Boeing for introducing AutoCrash into the marketplace
    - Lion Air and Ethopian to sue for lost revenue from network disruption, loss of employees, loss to reputation, etc.
    - Domestic and foreign regulators to puni$h Boeing for introducing AutoCrash into the marketplace
    - Families of victims to sue for defective equipment leading to loss of life
    - New order book for 737 Max becomes uncertain as both new and existing orders have potential loopholes related to 'undisclosed critical product defects affecting safety' that could void orders or free up carriers to reduce/cancel
    - Carriers impacted by the grounding to sue for operational disruption due to non-disclosure of a critical safety defect
    There is chum in the water.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

the times podcast had an excellent episode on boeing:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...=1000436137931
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

https://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/...ware-developer

Another perspective on the issue....

Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    Very interesting
    Agreed. Reminds me of the economics of product liability.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post

Very well written and pretty profound.

Great article. Very good explanation. Any quibbles from our resident experts?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post

A lot of truth mixed with an unfortunate amount of speculation in there. Shame he didn't track down some specifics about the certification, because the speculation that it didn't even require an STC reads as totally made-up. A further shame because the issues surrounding that are real and the details (if they ever come out) would be very interesting to know.

The matter of why the two computers don't cross check is similarly speculative. Cross checking in these systems has absolutely been discussed for decades. The view from my tiny knothole 15 years ago was that the complexity of certifying systems with exponentially more failure modes to analyze (due to more inputs and combinations) made certification impossible, and of course they also make more complex systems, which the author rightly paints as problematic in itself.

I'm not saying he's wrong about where it should go, and I certainly agree that Boeing's abandoning their prior approach (and the defining difference between them and Airbus) is tragic. As an outside observer I've always thought there should be some better approach, too, but the assumption that the problem is so simple and obvious that MCAS' existence must mean no one even asked the obvious question is factually incorrect.

American Airline pilots met with Boeing before latest crash:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/b...ane-crash.html

From that article (the quote was highlighted in the paper edition this morning):

Another American pilot, Todd Wissing, expressed frustration that no mention of the system had been included in the training manual for the 737 Max. "I would think that there would be a priority of putting explanations of things that could kill you," Mr. Wissing said.

You'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Wow. That was well worth the watch! (assuming it is completely accurate). Answered a lot of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Wow. That was well worth the watch! (assuming it is completely accurate). Answered a lot of questions.
    Juan Browne is usually pretty accurate about things.

Aren't they still grounded?
    That sounds expensive.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

That was fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Worst new product launch since New Coke..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!