Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Skiing backwards should completely eliminate tip dive.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Skiing backwards should completely eliminate tip dive.
    Dude yer suposed to say Switch
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ll say again I was thoroughly underwhelmed w the pure 120 spoon. Meh in the pow w some tip dive, truly mediocre in the hardpack.

GPO w carbon better, goat better, Lhasa better, kusala better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    I'm on the 184 Steeple 108. My experience doesn't match ACH's, but one person's idea of driving the tips vs another's are probably different as are skier weights, ramp angles, etc. etc. so who knows?
    To be clear here...
    I've never skied the Steeple 116, however it's my understanding that it is basically a lighter weight BG with a notch in the tail. I do own and ski the 191 BG's however. This ski prefers a centered stance IME. As far as driving tips, I come from a racing background and still ski old school long boards (210 >) from time to time, so there is that. In my quiver, the BG is not a powder ski, however it is the tool of choice when the conditions are fresh, wet and heavy, or chopped up crud, etc.

Hyper v6 has significantly less tip dive than a hypervector because it is slightly more rocker and much softer. It's no DPS 112/120/138 though
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I sold my 190 120s and regret it, but I have 112 and 138 so I don't regret it much

I really miss my 178 120s pure. Bestvlight touring tree ski while still being couloir and general purpose touring
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’ll say again I was thoroughly underwhelmed w the pure 120 spoon. Meh in the pow w some tip dive, truly mediocre in the hardpack.

GPO w carbon better, goat better, Lhasa better, kusala better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I get the impression dps started neutering some of the better designs some time before they actually stopped making them.

I wonder about that ^^ changing a classic? but you can't keep making the same stuff ... got to change it up eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I wonder about that ^^ changing a classic? but you can't keep making the same stuff ... got to change it up eh ?
    I kind of got over the chattery carbon layup Dps products in general. Wondering if a cheap 184 non spooned lotus 120 is worth nabbing for cheap and adding to the touring quiver.

Fixing a problem I don’t have. Bent chetlers are awesome for touring in this class
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

change for sake of change is kind of dumb. If it's not actually an improvement, you do your brand a long term disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I kind of got over the chattery carbon layup Dps products in general. Wondering if a cheap 184 non spooned lotus 120 is worth nabbing for cheap and adding to the touring quiver.

Fixing a problem I don’t have. Bent chetlers are awesome for touring in this class
    I think an older model of l138 would open up a quiver more; less overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I think an older model of l138 would open up a quiver more; less overlap.
    On paper, you’re quite right. Unfortunately i despised the R0 version of that ski. Purple spooned version is ok, but I prefer the cease and desist.

I’m also leery of full r/r for touring. First of all, the skin track is way too treacherous for a hack like me on a fully or nearly fully rockered ski...I also want an old reliable mustache camber profile in case I have to do some survival skiing.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I could never see the point in that spoon stuff cuz when i look down the spooney part is out of the snow

Both of my 120's are the hybrid made with Bamboo which were cheaper/damper/ no carbon slivers and

they are red

On paper, you’re quite right. Unfortunately i despised the R0 version of that ski. Purple spooned version is ok, but I prefer the cease and desist.

I’m also leery of full r/r for touring. First of all, the skin track is way too treacherous for a hack like me on a fully or nearly fully rockered ski...I also want an old reliable mustache camber profile in case I have to do some survival skiing.
    It depends on the ski. The katanas have full rocker, yet they hold a great edge on ice and work in all shitty conditions.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I ended up purchasing 1000-oaks 178 spoons. 140/120/126. Will it be impossible to skin for a while until I see how I like the skis with my vector skins that are 96 underfoot?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I get the impression dps started neutering some of the better designs some time before they actually stopped making them.
    What model year (L-120) would you say is the cutoff?

they are red
    They made Pure's in red too, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I ended up purchasing 1000-oaks 178 spoons. 140/120/126. Will it be impossible to skin for a while until I see how I like the skis with my vector skins that are 96 underfoot?
    You might get away with splitting yer skins but 24 mms is a lot of lost grippy plush.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    You might get away with splitting yer skins but 24 mms is a lot of lost grippy plush.
    X2 - running 96 mm skins on 120 skis will only tell you that you HATE skinning on them, which won't be a reflection of the skis, so you might end up farther behind than you were when you started in more ways than one.
    Buy skins for them and if you don't like them sell them with the skins.

125 BDs? Our next size up to get perfect trail coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    What model year (L-120) would you say is the cutoff?

They made Pure's in red too, just sayin.
    whatever year they stopped making anything over 190. At one point you could get 200cm, then it was 196 (iirc) then 190 was as long as it came. i think flex and assorted other attributes were attenuated at roughly the same time period. Although dims stayed similar, radius got shorter by playing with sidecut length iirc.

I don't really have any reference, I just stumbled across a set with the wrong price back in the day so I mentioned it to the shop owner/buddy and asked what his best price was

Yay or nay?

Fuck it. Give it a try. If you hate it get a pair of high trac G3's and go.

Yay or nay?
    Having been there in a pinch: never again.

Yay or nay?
    Firm snow: no way. Powder: it could be alright. Skinned on my megawatts with skins cut for 115s and in powder it was a non-issue.