Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do you ski in your measured mondo size?

If properly measured on a mondopoint Brannock, do you ski in that size?

Does anyone here?

Seems like everyone downsizes, but boot manufacturers who pour thousands of hours and dollars into R&D seem to design a 27.5 boot for a 27.5 cm foot (and if so, many of the contours of the plastic are in locations they would be for a foot of the intended length in the boot).

Just wondering if anyone actually skis in their measured mondo size (not street shoes not this not that... but measured mondo size).

If nobody here does, I maintain that the consumer ski boot industry is broken (not just for this reason, but I’d keep an open mind and try 27.5 shells if it is normal for a skier to ski in a shell that matches their measured size).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nope. I measure a 28.5 or 29, and ski a 26.5 Scarpa, 27.5 Crispi, and 27 Fischer.

I think your point is valid for serious skiers, who want maximum performance fits; but the average shmoe just wants to be comfortable and warm, so actual size works.

Measure 27.8 and ski in 26.5.

Most people who buy boots (and most people who fit boots for average skiers) tend to go with their measured size plus or minus .5, but they probably aren't posting on TGR. Downsizing one or more shell sizes normally requires a commitment on the part of both skier and bootfitter.

Yes I measure 26.5 and ski it but my foots kinda wide. I love my boots and maybe it’s because the stated last and length matches both my actual width of 101 and the actual length of 26.5 (tiny variance between l&r for me), same as the boot @ 26/26.5 BUT my toes don’t touch the front very firmly. A custom fit would prolly [maybe] be a 25.5 with punches but I’m not discerning. 10.5 street shoe and always because of width. I’m also an out of shape jong guy with bad technique. Pinkie toes are a bit sore at the end of the day.

Best fucking fitting boots I ever had though. That’s probably what everybody says about their current boot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 03-14-2019 at 01:30 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Tapatalk sucks.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Idk what I measure but wear a 12.5-13 street shoe and a 28.5 dalbello panterra. Psyched on them. If I cared more about not skiing like a beater I'd maybe try sizing down and play the fitting song/dance. Not sure I'd ever get there though.

Measure 26 and 26.5 and ski a 25.5. Tried 26.5 in the past and it sucked.

I usually do, but I have a hudge instep.
    1.5 to 1 , finger fit on same mondo boot as foot.

Your question misses the point of mondo.
    Mondo=foot length in centimeters, and hence boot last in cm

It just so happens that good skiers downsize, usually 1 shell.
    Sometimes 2

But most boots sold are recreational 3 finger fit.
    It would be confusing as hell if the performance boots got shorter than the stamped mondo.
    It would be like women’s dress sizes. A size six dress could be a 4 or an 8 depending on mfgr. That is insane.

Far easier to know you like 1 or 2 sizes smaller. The mondo system works!
    . . .

I have a wide ass foot. I need boots wide lasts and usually have a pretty restricted boot selection. Nobody has ever tried to size me down from a 28 shell and 28 shells still need aggressive 6th toe stretches and often some isolated instep punches.

That said, I have no idea if the right fitter could manage a 27 for me. Does anyone who sizes down have a really wide foot?

There may be a reason for Scarpa boots seemingly fitting one size too small. Historically, Scarpa boot sizes were based on the UK sizing which is one size smaller than US (i.e. UK 10 was a US 11). When they moved to Mondo, they seemed to base it off of the UK sizing so a 29cm foot fit into a Mondo 28 boot. It seems to have stuck. This was somewhat compounded by the thermo-moldable liners which allow an even smaller shell fit than the old padded liners.

hell no....mondo 30 (US 12) street shoes.....27.5 technica mach 1 130 lv.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLanTheman View Post
    Idk what I measure but wear a 12.5-13 street shoe and a 28.5 dalbello panterra.

i wear size 12 street shoes (size 13 running shoes), measure out as Mondo 30, but currently running 28.5 boots that fit me very, very well.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

28 mondo measurement, 26.5 boot. Salomon Falcon, custom fit, finally starting to admit it might be time for new shells. Not looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    i wear size 12 street shoes (size 13 running shoes), measure out as Mondo 30, but currently running 28.5 boots that fit me very, very well.
    I wear a 13 dress shoe and 14 in some running shoes. I have 28.5 (325bsl) Salomon Quest that fit like slippers...they're kind of pia to get on though.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

best to buy boot that fit the way YOU want them too and not worry about numbers on a box or on a sizer

Measure 26.5 mondo but ski a 25.5 Salomon MTN Lab. First few days were rough and I thought I bought wrong, but now that they liners are packing put I'm glad I didn't purchase the measured size.

Measure: 27 left foot, 27.5 right foot
    Wear: 27.5 312 BSL Atomic Hawx XTD for touring
    26.5 306 BSL Lange RX130 for resort

I do. My feet are a boot fitter's nightmare: wide forefoot, narrow heel, really high instep, really big ankles, bone spurs on both naviculars, high calf muscle...

I used to size down, but the amount of punching required was crazy. Even in the same modo I need punches.

shoes - 11.5 / 29.5
    boots - 28.5

Evo has a mondo performance column.... which probably applies to more of us on this forum. I'm a 9.5 or 10 street shoe, have a 26.5 boot. So... yeah.

https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-...int-conversion

^^^ according to that chart I am in a "performance" fit. Hmmm....

Don’t know that I trust the chart but I would be too...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Evo has a mondo performance column.... which probably applies to more of us on this forum. I'm a 9.5 or 10 street shoe, have a 26.5 boot. So... yeah.

https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-...int-conversion
    A lot of the people on this forum have taken the advice for "elite and expert skiers . . ." in the fine print under the chart.

Other online retailers simply give the "comfort fit" column without allowing for personal preference/ability level.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Don’t know that I trust the chart but I would be too...
    For sure. You have no idea who put that chart together.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    For sure. You have no idea who put that chart together.
    But is it wrong?

So far... sounds like it's not.