Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    as far as size goes, I'm within a half size of my measured length

while my current boots with bootwork are as close to comfortable as i've ever been, i have NEVER been in a boot that i could "wear all day"

the idea that mondo represents anything close to what a comfortable boot might be seems laughable from my experience. I am glad for the recent trend of different widths and volumes, but there's still probably a better way...not sure what it is, but i'm looking forward to one day having it

Never been "measured for mondo," but the way I understand it, mondo is your foot in cm? My feet measure 26.6 and 26.9 and I wear a mondo size 27 scarpa/crispi. Its a 1.5 finger shell fit so good enough for me. Going down to a .5 finger shell fit is not worth the trouble, esp. considering people used to tele in freaking leather. I do add some padding in the ankle area of my crispi inbounds boots to prevent heel lift, but that has more to do with the lack of shaping in the boot than the size. Scarpas fit well once I pack out the forefoot.

I measure 24.5 and ski in 24-24.5 boots. Not many options for sizing down without ending up in something soft and pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I measure 24.5 ... Not many options for sizing down without ending up in something soft and pink.
    Are we still talking about ski boots here?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I wear size 9 shoe but Brannock mondo measure is 25 on one foot and 24.5 on the other. My ski boots are 24.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I measure 24.5 and ski in 24-24.5 boots. Not many options for sizing down without ending up in something soft and pink.
    Sounds pretty comfy to me...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I'm mondo 27 and ski a 27. My big problem is my low instep--any boot I've owned I've had to put in a couple of hard insoles on top of the boot board. When you do that, due to the curved shape of the toe of the boot you lose a little length. I can keep my 2 lower buckles loose enough that they pop open fairly frequently. I have no heel lift, I don't slide forward if (when) I get in the backseat, and the ski/boot has excellent control of my leg--or is it the other way around?

Cool. Might as well respond to my own thread.

I measure 27.5 for mondo.

I ski in a 26.5 because I hate a sloppy ankle fit.

My instep (if I did the measurement correctly) is size 30. Feet are 27.5. I’m a 6E width on one website but only a D on a brannock. Ankles small. Heels wide.

My dream boot would be size 24 ankle, size 28 heel, size 24 cuff, size 26 hindboot, size 29 foreboot, size 28 instep, a footbed that actually touched the entire bottom of my foot (size 11 EEE), a zipfit liner that I could close the buckles over and which had cork that didn’t “flow,” and a flex of 125 with supreme lateral and torsional rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    But is it wrong?
    No, it just mentions two smaller options for fitting a boot than everyone else . . .

I measure 29.5 exactly and wear 29.5 boot (with LOTS of punching for forefoot width).
    I also wear 12.5 shoes, which is consistent with performance fit on that evo chart. FWIW I even have to stretch my street & skate shoes for width, but never length.

I have sized down to 28.5 in Salomon and Dalbello before. LOTS LOTS of punching, and they still sucked.

A properly matching/fitting last shape is likely more important than the number stamped on the shell. But myself I now only look at 29.5 shells for my 29.5 mondo foot.

Just to throw another kink in the works, I've had some fitting success with putting larger mondo size/ low volume liners in smaller mondo size shells. Seems like I can always squeeze almost another mondo point in length for the toes while maintaining a similar volume in the rest of the foot. Right now we have an Intuition 27 LV liner in my wife's 25 shell Lange RX's. Got her just enough length that her toes aren't scrunched.

If someone were to take a bunch of size 26.5/8 shells and cut them open a cm above the bootboard and then measure toe to heel length they would likely find none of them are 26.5cm long, as well as a variation of over 8mm between some 26.5s and other 26.5s. It’s a fucking number; just like size 9 shoe. Doesn’t tell you a damn thing about how the boot fits.

I measure a high 28.5 and ski 28.5 boots. Im a boot fitter and my boots are perfect. I can honestly say that the right fit in the whole boot is more important than length. If the right fit is a size down and its a little short, getting more length out of a toe box is pretty easy and adding a footbed goes a long way too.

If I were to give a short answer to does your size matter I would say: "Absolutely, but the rest of the fit (ankle/heel hold, toe box shape, cut of the boot over instep, forefoot width) are all equally important and inter-related to one another"

Also, keep in mind who is going to be answering these questions for you here. Lots of gear geeks and people who have an exact idea of how a boot should fit which may or may not work for you. I generally don't downsize any of my clients due to their ability levels UNTIL I know they know what a boot is supposed to feel like or aren't describing what I want to hear. To be fair I always start with the smallest boot I think will work for their foot and work from there. Boot Fitting isnt quite a science and isnt quite an art. Lands somewhere in the middle with psychology mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If someone were to take a bunch of size 26.5/8 shells and cut them open a cm above the bootboard and then measure toe to heel length they would likely find none of them are 26.5cm long, as well as a variation of over 8mm between some 26.5s and other 26.5s. It’s a fucking number; just like size 9 shoe. Doesn’t tell you a damn thing about how the boot fits.
    I don't think any boot manufacturers imply that the toe to heel measurement of the shell equals your foot size. That would work great unless you prefer to ski with liners in your boots.

My datapoint, 27.5 mondo feet, 27.5 mondo boots in Scarpa, Crispi, and Garmont (or within the shell break that captures 27.5). Also that size in leather Merrells and Asolos.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sounds pretty comfy to me...
    actualy it sucks cuz the mens models of MOST ski boots don't go any smaller than 25 so right away that eliminates half the boots on the market and I don't really blame the boot makers

Also you get the less manly color and a narrower last and flex is optimized for a skier that weighs 40lbs less

which is why I worship the Vulcan cuz besides fitting perfectly with zero punches it was a generic model going down to 22
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

actualy it sucks cuz the mens models of MOST ski boots don't go any smaller than 25 so right away that eliminates half the boots on the market and I don't really blame the boot maker . . .
    Most men's models are MADE in a 24/24.5 but most retailers don't order them, at least in North America.

Yup

what would be the difference if I'm in North Amelica and I can't try/buy them on ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-16-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Size 12 street shoes, and I’m in a 28 mondo Doberman. They are punched prettywide at the sixth tie and big toe bunion spot. Punched for length on my tight big toe. Foam conformables. Next boot might be a 29, or at least a wider 28

what would be the difference if I'm in North Amelica and I can't try/buy them on ?
    It means if a 25/25.5 feels roomy or "too comfy" out of the box and the shell fit is generous you have a chance of ordering a 24.5 online and going to a bootfitter you trust to make it work. Or feel justified in planning a ski trip to Japan or Italy.

Right foot is just over 27 and left foot just under 27. Moderately wide foot with lowish instep. I ski in 26. 10 or 10.5 street shoe. Would go 25 is some roomier boots and some 26's are too small to be feasible. Never tried on a 27 that wasn't too big.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It means if a 25/25.5 feels roomy or "too comfy" out of the box and the shell fit is generous you have a chance of ordering a 24.5 online and going to a bootfitter you trust to make it work. Or feel justified in planning a ski trip to Japan or Italy.
    so no difference then !

otoh i could just go for the " euro fit "

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Most men's models are MADE in a 24/24.5 but most retailers don't order them, at least in North America.
    To answer the OP, measure 26.5 wear a 24.5 (some days I think I could do a 23.5 with a lot of work).

My wife wears a 21.5 Lange RS, I wear a 24.5 RS or RX, supposedly the store we own is one of the biggest small mtn town Lange dealers in western Canada. We try and have every size in stock until at least Family Day (Presidents Day) weekend we order small(er) sizes at booking to ensure that oompa loompa skiers get the right boot as we both have had trouble getting footwear pretty much our whole lives.
    I very rarely order anything larger than 28.5 at booking, screw those big footed elephants

Funny when when I worked for Lange I very rarely got new boots the year they came out because often the 24 is the last one made and shipped and the first one to get cut at least in Canada so I make it my mission to always have small boots in stock.
    Also funny is the Lange Heritage Pink boot I posted about was available in 24.5 before all the other sizes.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    To answer the OP, measure 26.5 wear a 24.5 (some days I think I could do a 23.5 with a lot of work).

My wife wears a 21.5 Lange RS, I wear a 24.5 RS or RX, supposedly the store we own is one of the biggest small mtn town Lange dealers in western Canada. We try and have every size in stock until at least Family Day (Presidents Day) weekend we order small(er) sizes at booking to ensure that oompa loompa skiers get the right boot as we both have had trouble getting footwear pretty much our whole lives.
    I very rarely order anything larger than 28.5 at booking, screw those big footed elephants

Funny when when I worked for Lange I very rarely got new boots the year they came out because often the 24 is the last one made and shipped and the first one to get cut at least in Canada so I make it my mission to always have small boots in stock.
    Also funny is the Lange Heritage Pink boot I posted about was available in 24.5 before all the other sizes.
    Where is your shop?

Fernie, BC.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca