Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oversized sunglasses

So what's an affordable option for those oversized sunglasses that kinda look like upscale Pit Vipers everyone is wearing these days? Mrs. P won't ski with goggles and they look like a good option to avoid fogging on the way up and tearing on the way down. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Mrs. P won't ski with goggles
    Uh, what? She needs a smack upside the head to knock some sense into her, not a pair of oversized sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Uh, what? She needs a smack upside the head to knock some sense into her, not a pair of oversized sunglasses.
    Basal cell carcinoma surgery has left an area on the side of her nose that gets irritated with goggles, but thank you for recommending domestic violence as the solution.

Can someone get carcinoma from an internet burn?

No beta on vipers but I’ve skied with my Oakley jawbreakers and they fit great with my helmet. There’s pretty steady flow of grey market jawbreakers now. I use a buff as a bandanna to suck up the goggle/glass gap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Julbo has some good options. Also I've peeped at some anti fog safety glasses at the hardware store and thought those might be good options for low light or night for way less than fancy sunglasses.

Idk if you know this but Pit Vipers are actually just restyled Military SPECS ballistic glasses. You can find them on ebay for like $10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MILITAR...ss!90026!US!-1

The sunglasses version of SPECS have a VLT of 17% and are ballistic rated. Pretty solid sunglasses and they look like understated pit vipers.

They also make a clear lens (safety glasses), amber lens (low light safety), and green lens (laser safety) but you probably don't need those. All of the lenses are swappable.

Basal cell carcinoma surgery has left an area on the side of her nose that gets irritated with goggles, but thank you for recommending domestic violence as the solution.
    Damn!

Someone just caught a case of foot into mouth disease.

Amazon has a bunch of fake Oakley cycling glasses to choose from

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just bought a pair of Julbo sunglasses per a friend's recommendation. REI has a number of models on sale right now, I went with these: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...mor-sunglasses

Something like the Bivouac would offer even more side protection. I've checked out another friend's Pit Vipers, they actually vent real well and seem fairly good quality.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Julbo has some good options. Also I've peeped at some anti fog safety glasses at the hardware store and thought those might be good options for low light or night for way less than fancy sunglasses.
    The newer Julbo Aerospeed is the best goggle-replacing sunglass I've used. I really like the aerospace goggle, but have found myself using the aerospeed glasses for all but the stormiest days. I have a 1-3 photochromic that delivers in everything from headlamp skimo racing at night to winter bluebird days. I think I'd want darker for later in the spring and higher altitude.

I dig the look of the oakleys too, but don't have first hand experience And not sure how the lenses would be flat lighy storm skiing.

For touring anyway, I never wear goggles either, and I swear by my Julbos. My Treks have lasted 3+ seasons of year round near-daily use and abuse. I got a pair of Aeros recently for nighttime/early morning use. Neither pair ever fogs up, BUT they are not exactly cheap and they're nowhere near the size of pit vipers. They do offer great protection though. I wear them during ludicrous storms, as long as the snow isn't wet (and you have either a hat visor or helmet brim above them) they are plenty of protection, imho. If you could find a pair of Treks inexpensively I doubt you'd be disappointed. Just don't go with the Spectron lens, as that lens is VERY dark.

OP - I think what you're looking for is either Oakley WindJacket 2.0 (I have these for touring. is good), or Smith Wildcat. hope that helps.

Maybe you already tried, but another option to consider is removing a chunk of the foam that makes contact with her nose where it gets irritated... goggles sit on your nose but with the straps they really don't have to, especially if worn with a helmet.

But otherwise Smith Wildcats might work.

I know a skier who never wears googles , instead I have always seen him wearing racket ball eye protection of some kind ...something to check out
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Spy touring glasses are excellent.

My wife's issue (well, ex-wife as of yesterday, ha) is that she can't find goggles to go over her prescription glasses that don't fog her glasses up. Anyone familiar with the helmets / visor setup? Might be an option for your lady Peruvian, but obviously more expensive and definitely adds a dork factor.

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 2078
Size:  5.8 KB

smith OTG turbo fans definatley take care of the fog on prescription glasses but the wiring into the battery box has fucked up pretty quick on 2 sets still they are a good goggle and i just tip them up to get a little air inside the goggle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Another option is something with a big lens and a wide temple like Electric's Big Beat, Backbone sunglasses or Dragon's Domo, Calaca sunglasses.

I used to tour with sport shield style sunglasses like prototypical Oakley's and Julbo's. But too many instances of photokeratitis after bright spring days, due to all the reflected light spilling in around the sides and underneath sportier sunglasses, forced a change to something with more coverage.

Oversized sunglasses

Just fucking point it and shut up

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    That’s the style I’m talking about. Yoko Ono looking shields.

Now to find either the fake version or something on the resale market, cuz ain’t no way I’m paying $130!

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    My wife's issue (well, ex-wife as of yesterday, ha) is that she can't find goggles to go over her prescription glasses that don't fog her glasses up. Anyone familiar with the helmets / visor setup? Might be an option for your lady Peruvian, but obviously more expensive and definitely adds a dork factor.

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 2078
Size:  5.8 KB
    I feel like this should come standard with a little bluetooth speaker that plays the Top Gun theme music on an endless loop.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

this is a shameless plug but it's too perfect to pass up: I run a sunglasses company called Sunski and we just launched our Sidekick collection. Glacier goggles that don't make you look like an action figure. $89 and polarized and we make a style specifically for gals called the "Gondolas". Check them out and pm me for a pro code, happy to share it.

https://store.sunski.com/products/go...14474023010370

we also make a version for guys called the Treelines which won the red dot design award. I specifically asked our product designer to design these for spring touring.

https://store.sunski.com/products/tr...=7114971643970

Edit: found our pro code, 'sunskiperks' for 25% off