Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

College Admissions Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    I think all of the universities listed are private, so I’m not sure what laws were broken in the admissions process.
    UT Austin and UCLA are public. But the big crime is tax fraud - they laundered the payments through a charity. Remember, that’s how they got Capone.
    Last edited by teledad; 03-13-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    A more accessible term for LSD.
    Facepalm.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

All I gotta say is if that if you have to pay millions to get your kid into a university, then he must REALLY be a lousy student. If they couldn't make it in on their own, then how are they going to get through the next 4 years without their hand being held the whole time?

Seems if you're THAT rich and you spoil your kid that much to go to these lengths, you might as well just set that same amount of money up for them in a trust fund and let them be douchy little Ne'er-do-wells for the rest of their lives. Sheesh. The lives of the rich and quasi-famous.

The shocking thing is that these parents thought they needed to get their kids into an elite school. And were willing to break the law to do so. These families have enough wealth and connections that their kids would be able to do what ever they wanted with their lives. They did not need a Yale undergrad “education”. You don’t get much more out of undergrad at these schools than any other school. You attend undergrad to make connections (that they already have) or have a leg up to get into grad school where there is an actual difference. Yay America capitalism, where you may say you are for equal opportunity, but are always willing to step on the backs of the less fortunate to get even more of the pie. I hope jail time comes to these assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Fully agree. I think all of the universities listed are private, so I’m not sure what laws were broken in the admissions process. Abuse by coaches who accepted money and then lied seems like a university issue, not a legal issue to me. Any attorneys want to weigh in?

Turns out the FBI already checked with some lawyers. Fraud is illegal, so, yeah. But glad you are following up on this by asking a ski forum.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Who gives a shit?
    People who believe in fairness, I would assume.

It certainly isn't surprising, but it is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    What nobody's commenting on is that they're throwing two B movie actresses under the team bus instead of going after the hedge fund managers, megachurch pastors, or even the actresses' way more famous husband, William H Macy. Same shit happened when they threw the book at Martha Stewart for shit tons of way richer white men do all day everyday..
    Is there evidence that Macy was involved? It is great to get all gender political, but is there evidence? My wife does shit all the time she does not check with me first. Kind of independent that way.

And to the comment about them being private schools, they all get a ton of federal money, so they ain’t really private and need to follows federal guide lines or lose out on that cash.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    People who believe in fairness, I would assume.

It certainly isn't surprising, but it is offensive.

Fairness has never been important in America or to Americans, and that holds true whether you look at the history of this country, or you just open your eyes and look around at the society we've built.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    The shocking thing is that these parents thought they needed to get their kids into an elite school. And were willing to break the law to do so. These families have enough wealth and connections that their kids would be able to do what ever they wanted with their lives. They did not need a Yale undergrad “education”.
    EXACTLY! That's what I'm saying. The whole thing just seems so freaking pointless.

And not all of these schools were Ivy League either. I'm sorry, but if you can't make it into USC or UT on your own, then you really shouldn't be going to Uni to begin with. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Fairness has never been important in America or to Americans, and that holds true whether you look at the history of this country, or you just open your eyes and look around at the society we've built.
    And this is something you don't care about? If you just shrug your shoulders when something like this happens then you're complicit. I still think fairness is something we should strive for even with the realization that it's impossible to achieve totally.

The shocking thing is that these parents thought they needed to get their kids into an elite school....
    I learned that U.S.C. and University of Texas are "elite."
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

YOUR LITTLE HEAD—Confirming that oh, sure, probably no one gets into the prestigious university without their wealthy parents pulling some strings, a report released Wednesday in the wake of a major college admissions scandal stated that if it makes you feel better, you can believe bribery is the only reason you didn’t get into Columbia. “Okay, buddy—just go ahead and tell yourself an admissions officer was holding two applications in his hands, yours and one from a person whose mom or dad handed him a big sack of cash,” read the report, going on to add that a large-scale bribery scandal was a far more likely explanation for your rejection from a highly selective Ivy League school than the fact that you partied more than you studied in high school and got middling scores on the SAT. “Uh-huh, even though you had no extracurriculars and a 3.2 GPA, you were probably only turned down because your parents weren’t rich CEOs or celebrities willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to help you cheat on a standardized test or falsify an application. Just hold on to that for the rest of your life, champ.” The report concluded with a recommendation that you should go ahead and buy yourself a Columbia sweatshirt, because any day now they are likely to see the error of their ways and offer you an honorary degree.

Shocking they are treating this like they just caught Chapo 3D.

One of the parents lives near me. The FBI rolled up on his house yesterday with enough force to take over a small town. File under cops behaving badly

And growing up, I thought the whole point of USC was so parents could buy their kids a spot. How's it get so complicated? OGs comments above are spot on.

This whole thing seems weird. Maybe illegal, but a national crack down? Seems like extra manufactured drama

1) the 50-odd illegal admissions here are a drop in the bucket compared to the legal means of currying favor with the schools (as wife and I cut another check to the alma mater)
    2) apparently one of the girls in question is an "influencer" who has been using her position as a student to sell product, which is apparently a whole other legal issue for her now?

If the universities were the ones controlling this process by selectively letting in people who contribute to the boosters, make donations as a alumni, or shoot a helluva 3 point shot, then it's fine. Let's be honest, the universities just don't like getting fooled like this and they're outraged as a result.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I learned that U.S.C. and University of Texas are "elite."
    And USD! It has a 50% acceptance rate, and average SATs are in the 1200s. Someone paid $250K to get their kid in.

(USC is kind of elite nowadays - 17% acceptance and 1400 median SAT, similar to Georgetown. Not to mention the price tag.)

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Let's be honest, the universities just don't like getting fooled like this and they're outraged as a result.
    More importantly, they didn't get their cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

And not all of these schools were Ivy League either. I'm sorry, but if you can't make it into USC or UT on your own, then you really shouldn't be going to Uni to begin with. Haha.
    Or, could it be that there is so much money pushing mediocre wealthy kids in the back door that fewer spots are left for kids doing it the old fashioned legitimate way? Seriously, if you have kids in high school or recently graduated, you might be shocked at how much harder it is to get in to a mid level state university these days. Straight up B average and middle ground SAT score won't go nearly as far as it did when I was applying to colleges back in 1981.. or even when I was applying to grad school back in 1994. It's kind of like trying to get tickets to a Duke or Packers home game. All the spots are already promised to others with better connections.. Not very many tickets available for the general public to fight for..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    More importantly, they didn't get their cut.
    Exactly.

Per Singer...
    Okay, so, who we are-- what we do is we help the wealthiest families in the U.S. get their kids into school …. Every year there are-- is a group of families, especially where I am right now in the Bay Area, Palo Alto, I just flew in. That they want guarantees, they want this thing done. They don’t want to be messing around with this thing. And so they want in at certain schools. So I did what I would call, “side doors.” There is a front door which means you get in on your own. The back door is through institutional advancement, which is ten times as much money. And I’ve created this side door in. Because the back door, when you go through institutional advancement, as you know, everybody’s got a friend of a friend, who knows somebody who knows somebody but there’s no guarantee, they’re just gonna give you a second look. My families want a guarantee.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Or, could it be that there is so much money pushing mediocre wealthy kids in the back door that fewer spots are left for kids doing it the old fashioned legitimate way? Seriously, if you have kids in high school or recently graduated, you might be shocked at how much harder it is to get in to a mid level state university these days. Straight up B average and middle ground SAT score won't go nearly as far as it did when I was applying to colleges back in 1981.. or even when I was applying to grad school back in 1994. It's kind of like trying to get tickets to a Duke or Packers home game. All the spots are already promised to others with better connections.. Not very many tickets available for the general public to fight for..
    Could be, but I don't think it's THAT many wealthy kids clogging up the system. More likely that since going to college is constantly being pushed harder and harder, it's simply become more competitive all the way around. But you know what? That's fine! So a B student, middling SAT score isn't going to cut it any longer. Big whoop. Kids better study harder in grade school then if they wants a shot at going to these popular big name Universities. If they don't get accepted, then it's time for a less popular school. Not a huge deal. There is an overwhelming abundance of alternative options these days.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The real scandal is that in elite universities kids are given preference for being legacies, for being athletes, for having rich parents, for being able to afford SAT prep courses, for having attended schools that offer AP, and all of that is legal.
    What wrong with Athletes getting preference?

They have worked for it.

The bigger scandal is how are schools like USC ranked so high?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is there evidence that Macy was involved?
    yeah, he's listed as "spouse" in the indictment (but not charges) and in the transcript sounds about as dumb as the criminals William H. Macy plays on film.

It's not that shocking that people are willing to pay for the best, really. And this case was about people who could pay*, they just couldn't pay enough to do it legally. It also reinforces the dynamics of the world now.

*except for the USC dentist who refied his house so he could fake his daughter being a lacrosse player to get her into USC.

The whole college selection thing is out of hand these days. I remember when I graduated high school you basically picked the schools you applied to by looking at their brochures. If there were parents taking their kids across country to visit potential schools (as is common today) I never heard of it. Not to say this is a bad thing, but it just reflects upon how overblown the importance of college selection has become. I think parents just need to take a step back in general.

I think this is just a smoke screen to throw some wealthy folks under the bus while completely sweeping the whole NCAA basketball recruiting thing under the rug. The feds won't go after coaches of universities for the fear of exposing the corrupt recruiting system that's been in place for decades. The NCAA won't tough the multi billion dollar golden goose. They just sentenced a low level manager from Adidas for 8 months in prison but nothing has/will be done to the coaches that participated in the process that paid for recruits to sign at schools. Bottom line is if you have money and connections you can buy or access more things than the guy without it, this will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    What wrong with Athletes getting preference?

They have worked for it.
    Because they're, generally, pretty dumb?

Work?