Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    I know a kid who applied to Stanford and Cal Poly SLO (public technical school for those not in CA, good school but not exactly elite). Dad's a VC billionaire, mom and dad are both Stanford grads and made some nice donations over the years, and the kid got into Stanford but not Cal Poly.
    That's hilarious.

College Admissions Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That's hilarious.
    Why? Cal Poly is a great public school with high standards. Some of the smartest people I’ve met are cpslo grads. A California public school would be reticent to accept bribes as a compromise to standard

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Why? Cal Poly is a great public school with high standards. Some of smartest people I’ve met are cpslo grads.
    As a CPSLO grad, I appreciate the compliment

It is a great school, but it's undeniably hilarious that CPSLO (~30% acceptance rate) rejected him while Stanford (~5% acceptance rate) accepted him. It sounds like there was no bribery involved with this kid's 'rents, just normal above-board donations and I'm sure it was purely, purely, coincidental that Stanford accepted him.

It sounds like there was no bribery involved with this kid's 'rents, just normal above-board donations and I'm sure it was purely, purely, coincidental that Stanford accepted him.
    One mans bribe is another mans charity.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Hallmark just fired Lori Loughlin.
    Seems like a kneejerk reaction to me.
    Should have at least let her go to court first.
    Hallmark spends vast sums over generations on indirect advertising, like soft religion tv, and Christmas programming, etc...So you recognize the brand and feel all warm and fuzzy and have all these clean healthy pleasant associations with Hallmark in a general sense. This is so when you reach the Hallmark retail card display, you are totally receptive. This is so when a Hallmark Cards salesman sorts courthouse records and finds out a new retail outlet is being built, he can call the owner and close a long term deal for Hallmark card display space in about 33 seconds. They sell. They make everyone money.

Hallmark Cards can't have no scam bullshit smeared on their name. They've spent too much money to be as wholesome as milk.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Maybe Olivia is still "paying her way" into USC????

"...It smelled like Lou-dog inside the van..."

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Back in the 90s Bill Gates got his name on a Stanford building for a $6M donation. Prices have gone up a bit since then. (At the time they were strapped for cash due to the 89 quake as well as various federal investigations.)

I know a kid who applied to Stanford and Cal Poly SLO (public technical school for those not in CA, good school but not exactly elite). Dad's a VC billionaire, mom and dad are both Stanford grads and made some nice donations over the years, and the kid got into Stanford but not Cal Poly.
    Legacy plus healthy donation is one hell of a lubricating cocktail. This isn't exactly new and won't be going away anytime soon.

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Why? Cal Poly is a great public school with high standards. Some of the smartest people I’ve met are cpslo grads. A California public school would be reticent to accept bribes as a compromise to standard

A buddy of mine has given Cal millions of dollars and was absolutely livid when his kid was rejected. A told him that what's USC is for, what did you expect from a public university? Little did I know, apparently UCLA was caught up in this scandal so I guess he may have just been spending his money in the wrong area for admission

CalPoly's engineering is fairly competitive, but vs Stanford? Uh ya, no. Lol.

As a CPSLO grad, I appreciate the compliment

It is a great school, but it's undeniably hilarious that CPSLO (~30% acceptance rate) rejected him while Stanford (~5% acceptance rate) accepted him. It sounds like there was no bribery involved with this kid's 'rents, just normal above-board donations and I'm sure it was purely, purely, coincidental that Stanford accepted him.
    I am also an SLO grad, which along with the attendance of DTM firmly cements the steeze of the institution. Harvard of the West.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    CalPoly's engineering is fairly competitive, but vs Stanford? Uh ya, no. Lol.
    Like Cal Vs UCLA? Thing is, the community college system has guaranteed entrance into Cal if you complete the program. All credits 100% transferable.

Like Cal Vs UCLA? Thing is, the community college system has guaranteed entrance into Cal if you complete the program. All credits 100% transferable.

My brother had a friend at Columbia that was getting his PHD that DIDN't get into Cal and transferred in from a community college as a junior, he finished at the top of his engineering class.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    A buddy of mine has given Cal millions of dollars and was absolutely livid when his kid was rejected.
    HA! I'd be pissed too, but at the same time, I also find it hilarious. Perhaps the STUDENTS should be the ones expected to put forth the effort to get into their desired school of choice rather than the parents getting them via massive donations. I know that's the way the system works, so your buddy was just doing what he felt was right. Still, a tough (and expensive) lesson to learn.

Time for more parents to start taking the Asian approach. Study, study, study + perfect scores + all the right extracurriculars, or it's ass whoopin' time. If not, they'll bring great shame and dishonor to the family. Way cheaper this way. Well, I guess that is until Harvard decides there are too many of your kind there, then you may have to resort to bribes.

More like Cal vs Calpoly (without the transfer option) I think the transfer thing is relatively new and his rejection predated it as an option

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    The sign for that 20 million hall with $500K -Jones-Smith-Miller-Jenkins-Ward-etc. would have to be abbreviated to just their 40 first initials then... Or just sell the naming rights separately...
    The latter is what they are actually doing. The building has a generic placeholder name right now as they try to get someone to really pony up.

From the Ditch:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1784.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	274089

If ever in the ATX, that place will make you some gooooood texmex. With grades like mine, it helps when your school shows up on lists of “elite” universities. I’ll take what I can get. Get good grades, kids.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Guaranteed junior college transfer into the UC System, assuming that certain requirements are met, has been a part of the California Higher Education Master Plan for fifty (50) years.

Cal Poly SLO is an outstanding school. Were I doing my undergrad over, I would pick it, or Cal Poly Pomona, over Stanford every fucking time. Other than name, or, perhaps some special major, Stanford offers no educational advantages over those schools. Grad school or postdoc is a different story, however. In that arena, Stanford offers opportunities that few institution can match.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Lori Loughlin‘s daughter Olivia Jade will not return to the University of Southern California in the wake the nationwide college admissions cheating scandal, a source tells PEOPLE.

The 19-year-old YouTube star has “no plans to return to USC” when classes resume on Monday, following her mom’s indictment and arrest for her alleged involvement with the college fraud scandal.

“She can’t handle anything right now. She seems more and more upset every day. She just wants to stay home,” says the source.

Although it is unclear whether or not Olivia Jade was aware of her parents’ involvement in the scandal, her booming Instagram and YouTube blogging business has taken a hit since the news broke. On Thursday, Sephora severed ties with the teen.

“She feels she has worked very hard to get different work deals and everything is just gone. She thought she knew what the future had in store for her, and it all just crumbled,” says the source. “It’s a never-ending nightmare for her. She understands the serious consequences her parents are facing and she is very scared.”
    Poor thing, her future of being famous for being somewhat marginally famous and putting it out there is in jeopardy.

Lori is a smoke show. I don't care what she did.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I suppose.

She has that "I have had a lot of work done" startled kind of a look.

She won't serve any time but a women's prison movie with her as a start would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Poor thing, her future of being famous for being somewhat marginally famous and putting it out there is in jeopardy.
    Maybe she can get back on track if she does a vid w Ray J. Maybe a threeway w moms for a stardom reboot. In the booty.

Bloomberg on USC

‘University of Scandal’: Admission Scam Is Latest to Tar Hot USC https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...to-tar-hot-usc

I’m not an SC grad, just a former fan and supporter of the football program for forty (40) or so years. But I must say, man, that is some slimy writing!

Yeah, USC is pretty fucked up now and has been for a while. The Board of Trustees is a complete mess at the moment, with current Chair, Rick Caruso, mentioned in the above-linked article, leading the shit parade. The Interim President, Wanda Anderson….whatever, an affirmative action promotion, is trying to fuck over the Dean of the School of Business with Caruso’s backing. And all of her complaints are, apparently, without merit*. And now there is infighting amongst the members of the Board over the whole matter. Shit parade indeed! This is just a single recent example.

SC needs to go back to being the SC or yore. Fuck this “move-to-the-left”, diversity-worshiping (based in many cases on superficial traits), SAT score-obsessive mindset. Back in the day at SC, grades and test scores were used solely to help insure that any particular student admitted was smart enough to pass their classes and earn their fucking degree. Students got out of it what they put in as was the case at any university. Also real world connections can matter a lot, and attending SC was all about making connections. At fucla, it was every student for him/herself. “bRuin for 4 or 5 or 6 years, Trojan for life”. This still holds true in Southern California. So, yeah, there’s actual value in having a degree from USC, depending on one’s major, of course. I was going into science, so there was no fucking way I was attending that school! But it’s why so many parents in the region desire their kids to go there.

Anywho, this shit’s been going on for a long fucking time, and it ain’t just USC. I know that it’s happened at Duke, and likely still is. You think the fucking Ivys are clean? Stanford? HAHAHAHA…….

EDIT- Oh, and if you think there is cheating going on with respect to admission selection, wait until the whole fucking financial aid fraud goes "BOOM!".

* Not sure what ol’ Wanda’s gripe is with the Dean, but I understand that he is very well regarded by the faculty of the business school.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    SC needs to go back to being the SC or yore. Fuck this “move-to-the-left”, diversity-worshiping (based in many cases on superficial traits), SAT score-obsessive mindset. Back in the day at SC, grades and test scores were used solely to help insure that any particular student admitted was smart enough to pass their classes and earn their fucking degree. Students got out of it what they put in as was the case at any university. Also real world connections can matter a lot, and attending SC was all about making connections. At fucla, it was every student for him/herself. “bRuin for 4 or 5 or 6 years, Trojan for life”. This still holds true in Southern California. So, yeah, there’s actual value in having a degree from USC, depending on one’s major, of course. I.
    If the SC of yore is about 'connections' and resisting diversity worshipping, it's not shocking that these scammer parents would pick this school. I don't think the goal was getting the best education, just keeping their (dumb) kids in the circle with the rest of the private school kids from southern California. If you value 'connections' (and fundraising), you end up in the middle of an academic admissions scam. Sounds like SC accounted for something like half the cases in this scandal....yelling 'but what about Duke?' won't change that.

Love the image of the SC public relations head saying: "Oh gosh, lots of fallout here. Does anyone know where Olivia Jade is? Is she in her dorm?".
    SC public relations assistant: "Um, errr... she's actually on the Board of Trustee Caruso's yacht in the caribbean".