Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You have to wonder about the trash talking across the line at Ivy/Big league games. "You may crush us today, but we'll own your fat asses in a few years."
    This really happens

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    minimum GPA and SAT criteria as other students who are admitted.
    Quoting some of this, but I think a lot of people way overestimate grades/test scores as if high grades and high SAT are the main drivers for admission. Have an A average GPA and high SAT - Great! Everyone else at a selective school does too. An A at a private school is likely not the same as an A at an under-served public school in rural America. Yes, there is bias in legacy and donor children. Yes, there is a high proportion of students who come from way better off backgrounds and have proper test prep, good guidance counselors, parents who went to good schools, private high schools, etc. But there are a lot of other factors (i.e work, volunteer, clubs, context of where you grew up), and in many cases, the laundry list of sports, clubs, extra curriculars, etc. can easily be seen right through at selective schools as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Quoting some of this, but I think a lot of people way overestimate grades/test scores as if high grades and high SAT are the main drivers for admission. Have an A average GPA and high SAT - Great! Everyone else at a selective school does too. An A at a private school is likely not the same as an A at an under-served public school in rural America. Yes, there is bias in legacy and donor children. Yes, there is a high proportion of students who come from way better off backgrounds and have proper test prep, good guidance counselors, parents who went to good schools, private high schools, etc. But there are a lot of other factors (i.e work, volunteer, clubs, context of where you grew up), and in many cases, the laundry list of sports, clubs, extra curriculars, etc. can easily be seen right through at selective schools as well.
    All this is true--the great majority of people who are rejected by selective schools have the grades and SAT's to get in, and most have the extracurriculars as well. The grades and GPA's are of course not the only factors in admission; the schools use them as an initial screen: if your grades and SAT's are below a certain line your application isn't even looked at. I'm just saying that athletes should at least have grades and SAT's at or above that line. There shouldn't be a second, lower line (or no line at all) for athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You have to wonder about the trash talking across the line at Ivy/Big league games. "You may crush us today, but we'll own your fat asses in a few years."
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    This really happens
    The engineering school I attended chanted, "That's all right. That's OK. You're going to work for us someday."

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The engineering school I attended chanted, "That's all right. That's OK. You're going to work for us someday."
    MIT crew chant: "We ain't rough. We ain't tough. But boy are we smart."

Actual engineers know this is bullshit. A whole lot of us engineers are working for the man.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    MIT crew chant: "We ain't rough. We ain't tough. But boy are we smart."
    Tri Lambs FTW..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Going to away games as a Sooner we were pretty obnoxious. Usually a circle of empty seats around us for 50 feet in every direction. I remember one Kansas game where we were especially ruthless... One of the Kansas cheerleaders hollered up to us, well our quarterback isn't driving a NCAA violation Mercedes.. My friend yells back.. "HE NEVER WILL.. HE'S GOING TO BE DRIVING A GARBAGE TRUCK!!!"

ewing and iverson had SAT scores to get into georgetown?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    ewing and iverson had SAT scores to get into georgetown?
    How many people starting for Duke made a 1500??

^^^just a quick example....it's across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Actual engineers know this is bullshit. A whole lot of us engineers are working for the man.
    It's just that MIT engineers work for Elon Musk

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    It's just that MIT engineers work for Elon Musk
    Not the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    Not the good ones.
    Rachel: 49ers Cheerleader, MIT chemical engineer working at Tesla Motors

the first NFL cheerleader who also attended MIT and Harvard.

My celebrity crush is, and why: Elon Musk. He is intelligent and working on big problems.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    And the jocks are your janitors.