Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

College Admissions Scandal

Anyone else see this?
    https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/...-lori-loughlin

In addition to whatever standard punishments are handed out, I think all the kids should be forced to actually participate (i.e., attend and complete all training) in the sport they were allegedly recruited for.

The real scandal is that in elite universities kids are given preference for being legacies, for being athletes, for having rich parents, for being able to afford SAT prep courses, for having attended schools that offer AP, and all of that is legal.

Bunch of rich white families figured out a way to circumvent the system to get their kids into high level universities by using their money and connections , shocking. Biff the dad: "Hey sailing coach, I know you make $27K a year . How about I give you 5 times that to admit my Buffy as a JV member since she has years of experience tanning at the sailing club. If she get's cut after not showing up to the first mandatory meeting I'm cool with that. " Coach Chip from Hanover: " Sir that's kind of shady but the thought of moving out of my cousin's basement is too tough to pass up. Just make sure it's cash and only tell your rich friends about this for next year. GO BULLDOGS !"

I don't really agree with the whole legacy thing, but it seems a bit much to claim it should be illegal. Same with athletic scholarships, taking advanced placement courses (save those tuition dollars!), or SAT prep.

But yeah, fuck the bribes. At least when Mom and Dad get a building named after them that "bribe" actually helps other students with better facilities. This whole scam just went straight into a coach's or admissions officer's pocket.
    Live Free or Die

One of my best friends went to Harvard, I was at another university in Boston. There were a number of kids whose families had made multimillion dollar donations to get them in. All “above board” technically. This was money sufficient to get a dorm or a hall named after the family. In turn Little Johnny with a B average was allowed in, then he didn’t get expelled when he was caught with coke or stealing etc. My biggest beef is that those types of donations are completely legal, and an organization like Harvard with billions and billions in the bank was willing to entertain those type of “donations”.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The real scandal is that in elite universities kids are given preference for being legacies, for being athletes, for having rich parents, for being able to afford SAT prep courses, for having attended schools that offer AP, and all of that is legal.
    and embraced by attorney in this case
    “We’re not talking about donating a building so that a school’s more likely to take your son or daughter; we’re talking about deception and fraud.” USA in 2019 - corruptions fine, just do it in the right way.

with at least one of the faked test kids their father arranged it and was told "the kid will never find out". dad works at a big-law firm. that's shitty
    https://abovethelaw.com/2019/03/will...sions-scandal/

It's kinda funny the outrage I'm seeing over this. It's just one of the higher levels of privilege in our society.

Don't get me wrong, I think it sucks, too but people like to think we live in a "meritocracy".

We dont.

Life isnt fair.

These kids bribed in to top schools have an advantage over the kids whose parents can afford to pay their tuition and living expenses so they can still ski and ride mountain bikes in their college years.

Those kids have an advantage over the kids who have to work and scrape by to keep their student loan load low.

Those kids have an advantage over kids who fall in the crack between Pell grants and parents that can afford tuition and end up with a lot of loans..

You can go on and on down the line...

WUT?? The world's rigged in favor of rich people?? I'm shocked!!!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    WUT?? The world's rigged in favor of rich people?? I'm shocked!!!
    Hopefully it is an isolated incident. This should warn rich people about doing any further shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    In turn Little Johnny with a B average was allowed in, then he didn’t get expelled when he was caught with coke or stealing etc..
    But enough about George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Hopefully it is an isolated incident. This should warn rich people about doing any further shenanigans.
    Yeah, stick to the legal bribery schemes like the annual fund. You can even get a tax writeoff.

As I recall, legacies and recruited athletes were great for watering down the grading curve.

College Admissions Scandal

The FBI rolled up in force and raided a house down the street where the mastermind of this scheme apparently lives. Guess I'll have to find someone else to get my kid into college now! The neighborhood coffee shop hour should have some good chatter tomorrow
    Last edited by mcski; 03-12-2019 at 06:14 PM.

We need a celebrity to go on TV to tell us what these other celebrities have done is not ok.

Them parents is dummies! They could have sent their kids to Trump University for $20K / year.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    We need a celebrity to go on TV to tell us what these other celebrities have done is not ok.
    I am just impressed that those particular "celebrities" have that much pull.

I am just impressed that those particular "celebrities" have that much pull.
    Their pull is commensurate with their wallet size, not their level of celebrity.

The unfortunate part of the story was how far some (most) of the parents went to hide their actions from their kids.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

rich trying to win again, shocking. same fukkers who guilt me into the park fast pass.

More than anything, this college admissions scandal speaks to the large number of rich people with $50m or $500m that are completely unremarkable. By extension their kids are unremarkable, in the eyes of colleges, hence they have to pay.

Nothing at all surprising here. Those with the means will always try to do things like this. They see it as nothing more then helping their kids out. Most parents will do what they can to help their kids or just make them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Fully agree. I think all of the universities listed are private, so I’m not sure what laws were broken in the admissions process. Abuse by coaches who accepted money and then lied seems like a university issue, not a legal issue to me. Any attorneys want to weigh in?

Also, having played baseball at an elite school, I can verify that several teammates were given preference during the admissions process. One became an academic all-American, one became a physician and the other an engineer.

That being said, we had one player who always seemed to get preferential playing time. Years later his parents were listed as major contributors to a field/stadium renovation. Many college coaches don’t make significant money, offers must look tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Fully agree. I think all of the universities listed are private, so I’m not sure what laws were broken in the admissions process. Abuse by coaches who accepted money and then lied seems like a university issue, not a legal issue to me. Any attorneys want to weigh in?

Also, having played baseball at an elite school, I can verify that several teammates were given preference during the admissions process. One became an academic all-American, one became a physician and the other an engineer.

That being said, we had one player who always seemed to get preferential playing time. Years later his parents were listed as major contributors to a field/stadium renovation. Many college coaches don’t make significant money, offers must look tempting.
    I think it was mail fraud.

felony conspiracy to commit mail fraud
    honest services mail fraud
    conspiracy to commit racketeering

I can't see any of these charges sticking because there is no public component.

Shit like this though, will get you:
    Racketeering conspiracy
    Money laundering
    Tax conspiracy
    Obstruction of Justice

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    felony conspiracy to commit mail fraud
    honest services mail fraud
    conspiracy to commit racketeering

I can't see any of these charges sticking because there is no public component.

Shit like this though, will get you:
    Racketeering conspiracy
    Money laundering
    Tax conspiracy
    Obstruction of Justice
    Not if you are the pResident.

Everything, and everyone has their price.

You mean to tell me that people with lots of money use that money to create favorable outcomes for themselves and those close to them? And that people of lesser means can be swayed by the allure of a sharing a piece of ill gotten pie? I've never even contemplated the possibility. Who gives a shit? I certainly don't.