Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    My little ripper will be 5 years old in October and is growing out of his 14” bike with the seat and handlebars already near their maximum height. He is about 45” tall. I’m thinking of skipping the 16” wheel size and am thinking about getting him a 20” wheel bike. Is that a reasonable idea? The Commencal Ramones 20” looks like something he would enjoy on easy bike trails and the bike park with the plush 2.6 tires. Am I on the right track or should I look at something else? Does anyone have anything for sale in that size?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have our 5 year old on a 20" wheeled bike. It's a touch big for him, but he can touch the ground and can now go on trail rides with the rest of the family....
    daughter moved up to a 24" bike, which looks similarly big on her, until she stands up on it (no idea where longer legs come from genetically) with the fat (2.8 ish) tires... she loves it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    My little ripper will be 5 years old in October and is growing out of his 14” bike with the seat and handlebars already near their maximum height. He is about 45” tall. I’m thinking of skipping the 16” wheel size and am thinking about getting him a 20” wheel bike. Is that a reasonable idea? The Commencal Ramones 20” looks like something he would enjoy on easy bike trails and the bike park with the plush 2.6 tires. Am I on the right track or should I look at something else? Does anyone have anything for sale in that size?

If the bike fits him, go for it. It's ok if it's a tiny bit big, but if it's way too big, I'd say no. Most important thing is that he enjoys it.
    Last edited by Danno; 06-10-2021 at 11:02 AM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post

My 7-year-old is 46" tall and rides a 20" norco. Not even close to too big.

Sounds good. Maybe I can get him on a test ride to see how a 20” bike fits.

My 7 yo is on a 20 ; 10 year old is on 24.

WTB: 26" front disc wheel/tire with standard skewer.

Not my listing, but just saw this 24" Trailcraft on CL (in Fort Collins) for $800: https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/b...335102801.html Some little ripper would love that thing.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    WTB: 26" front disc wheel/tire with standard skewer.
    LBS was able to help us out & mullet my kid’s Transition- it’s sick AF 24/26!

Looking to buy a 24" quality kids rigid MTB. The impending 60 degrees here in the NW has me thinking about jr's bike needs this season. He's coming off a nice Isla Benin 20" that I'll post once I find a replacement. Maybe the Woom 5 Off or Scott? Trailcraft? What do you have?

Kids gear buy/sell/WTB thread.

My daughter went from a Woom to a Cannondale Kujo 24. Reasonably priced new, midfat with no suspension, so also reasonably light.

My daughter really liked her rigid Scott Scale RC Jr (Scott has terrible names for their bikes, and the RC is important, the non RC is a very different bike). Sold it when I got her a full squish.

I looked at both of the above and got my daughter the Liv STP 24+. Bought the rigid one for color and weight, swapped out brakes to hydros and lighter carbon bars I already had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Trailcraft is in your budget they are incredible. And hold their value so maybe not that expensive in the long haul?

Thanks all. A buddy might let go of a Scott 24”, and I’m going to check if a bmc 24” this afternoon. jr will be styled, no matter what!

Any advice on a trail/xc bike for a 6 year old?

He's very competent on a mototrials bike, but could use a mountain bike that actually fits.

E-assist wouldn't suck if it exists and doesn't cost a million bucks.

Tyx

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Any advice on a trail/xc bike for a 6 year old?

He's very competent on a mototrials bike, but could use a mountain bike that actually fits.

E-assist wouldn't suck if it exists and doesn't cost a million bucks.

Tyx

My 5yo (tall for his age) just moved to a Cannondale cujo 20+. Its relatively lightweight and his served his older siblings well over the past few years. Early Rider makes a nice 20" bike also. Avoid suspension forks.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    My 5yo (tall for his age) just moved to a Cannondale cujo 20+. Its relatively lightweight and his served his older siblings well over the past few years. Early Rider makes a nice 20" bike also. Avoid suspension forks.

Thank you.

Why avoid suspension forks? Poor quality in that size? Technique robbing?

Thank you.

Added weight without much benefit? Also, some of those forks don’t really compress all that much for light riders. Suspension in larger volume tires more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Added weight without much benefit? Also, some of those forks don’t really compress all that much for light riders. Suspension in larger volume tires more useful.
    Yes to this. Unless you are buying spawn or trailcraft (not sure about the future used by Early Rider, Frog or Woom) the forks are heavy and don't work very well. Plus tires give them great traction a little suspension and lower weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Yes to this. Unless you are buying spawn or trailcraft (not sure about the future used by Early Rider, Frog or Woom) the forks are heavy and don't work very well. Plus tires give them great traction a little suspension and lower weight.

That all makes sense. Much different than moto at this age. Thx.

Thank you.

Anything other than Manitou JUnit and a handful of exceptions is non-functional dead weight. The JUnit forks cost $500 for a reason, but if you can find a bike with one at a price you're willing to pay they are definitely worth it. Good suspension helps a lot with 20" wheels since the rollover is terrible.

Buying my son a quality FS bike at 7 was some of the best money I ever spent, it transformed his riding instantly. Sure, spending $2,000 on a bike for a 7 y.o. felt insane at first, but the decision was validated on the first ride and I sold the bike two years later for $1,500 so the total cost of ownership was only $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Anything other than Manitou JUnit and a handful of exceptions is non-functional dead weight. The JUnit forks cost $500 for a reason, but if you can find a bike with one at a price you're willing to pay they are definitely worth it. Good suspension helps a lot with 20" wheels since the rollover is terrible.

Buying my son a quality FS bike at 7 was some of the best money I ever spent, it transformed his riding instantly. Sure, spending $2,000 on a bike for a 7 y.o. felt insane at first, but the decision was validated on the first ride and I sold the bike two years later for $1,500 so the total cost of ownership was only $500.
    Great advice thx. This is very similar to mototrials. Spending the money on osets has been absolutely worth it. Plus, the resale is also good.

Hey! Anyone in Ogden/N SLC around to do a bike favor? I’ve found a kids bike in Farmington for jr but the seller won’t drop the bike at a shop to ship to Boise. If you’re looking for a good kids 24” MTB for reasonably cheap, I think the guys has two.

I’m asking you to fill in for me as a local buyer (I’ll ppal him) and you’d just be receiving and delivering to a shop to ship. Thanks for you help!
    Last edited by skivan; 04-05-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Longshot - but anyone have a recommendation between Macride and Kids Ride Shotgun front triangle bike seats and/or possibly looking to get rid of one? I'm planning to get one soon for my two year old (and me).
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast