Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Killed in Roof Avalanche Crested Butte

“Low angled roof”..... Wow. RIP and vibes to all involved. Fucking horrible.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...ep&view=public
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I used to have a low angled metal roofed garage. Snow would slowly creep off it and break off when it was overhanging the eaves. When I did shovel it, it was from the top down until I cut about a five foot slot which I could stand in with no snow above me. Every year this happens multiple times and people die.

Gotta get that snow off when it's this big. As soon as things warm up a bit the weight of the snow becomes crazy. Is it fair to say that many areas in the Rockies haven't seen this much snow in 50 years, maybe longer?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Gotta get that snow off when it's this big. As soon as things warm up a bit the weight of the snow becomes crazy. Is it fair to say that many areas in the Rockies haven't seen this much snow in 50 years, maybe longer?
    The snow doesn't get heavier when it gets warm..

A few neighbors have had some big roof-alanches. Mostly metal roofs. You can see where one guy started shoveling, then the whole thing fractured all the way across and he was like "fuck this!" and stopped. I might be trying to shovel ours today, wearing a beacon and will probably have a spotter.

Is it fair to say that many areas in the Rockies haven't seen this much snow in 50 years, maybe longer?
    No. There was more snow just 2 years ago. And 10-11, and 07-08, and a shit ton of other years.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    No. There was more snow just 2 years ago. And 10-11, and 07-08, and a shit ton of other years.
    Was '17 really as big as indicated here? Doesn't seem like it was, but this is statewide I guess. I thought '17 was only really big in Jan.

Either way, weather thread jongs!

Also, for the record, I did shovel my roof for the first time in 5 years in '17.

When I did snow removal at Purgatory a lifetime ago, we wore a harness and were clipped in when on the roof.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    When I did snow removal at Purgatory a lifetime ago, we wore a harness and were clipped in when on the roof.
    These guys were on the ground with a roof rake I'm assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Just to stay off topic, still behind 17 in the Gunnison basin.

Sure seemed like last season sucked there. Was riding Hartman's on dirt in early April instead of snowbiking.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Sure seemed like last season sucked there. Was riding Hartman's on dirt in early April instead of snowbiking.
    It did, it is the light blue line.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    The snow doesn't get heavier when it gets warm..
    Technically true, but here the snow turns to rain when it warms up. The snow traps all that water that would ordinarily run off the roof thus dramatically increasing the weight of the snow with the additional water content. Or. rain falls on top of it a day or three later..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Technically true, but here the snow turns to rain when it warms up. The snow traps all that water that would ordinarily run off the roof thus dramatically increasing the weight of the snow with the additional water content. Or. rain falls on top of it a day or three later..
    So what you meant to say is that when it rains on snow, it gets heavier.

So what you meant to say is that when it rains on snow, it gets heavier.
    In other news, when you add 1 pound to 1 pound, you get 2 pounds.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Let’s leave the science to the scientologists in the climate thread.

It did, it is the light blue line.

Duh, i'm a year off!

The interview with the guy that survived a separate roof slide is nuts. 86 body temp when he got to the hospital. http://crestedbuttenews.com/2019/03/...urvival-story/

That article was phenomenal.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Great article

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gave me the chills reading it.

Yeah, that was crazy.

I just had this fall off my roof the other night. Rocked the house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9373.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	275359

Name:	IMG_9374.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	377.8 KB 
ID:	275360

Name:	IMG_9375.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	275361
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I don't understand why snow brakes aren't required on metal roofs. Our neighbor's roof sheds onto our property, sometimes it hits our house hard, used to hit the propane tank before we got natural gas, it buries our cable/phone line, causes other damage. Not to mention people getting killed.

As far as shoveling roofs--figure out what your house is rated for--the building department will have the snow load for your area, and if your house was built to code you can figure out how deep the snow can get before you have to clear.. Our local snow load is 400 psf--which is roughly 12 feet uncompacted, obviously less if it gets rain-saturated. Even in this year's monster winter it never got close to that. (Our furnace and water heater direct vents have to be 12 feet off grade--I can't imagine the snow ever getting that deep.) When the snow gets deep I do check all my sliding windows--I wouldn't shovel unless they starting sticking. I hung a plumb bob off my deck a 1/4 in off the ground and figured I'd shovel if it touched the ground. Never happened. I do try to keep the snow no deeper than the deck rails--so we can see out the windows, use the spa etc., but I'm not concerned about the weight.