Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XTR M9100 12-spd becoming available - PREPARE YOUR ANUS

Price prediction?

So the new XTR is built around a 12 speed drivetrain. Which is built around a 12 speed cassette. Which is built around the new microspline hub standard. Which, as of right now, only sort of exists.

Shimano is just knocking it out of the park on this one.

I have had everything since January...(except hubs and chainring, I went wit absolute black and dt 240’s on carbon rims).
    Got the XTR cranks as well, not the substitutes...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

How much market share does Shimano now have on mountain bikes?
    Especially considering Sram now knows how to maker passable brakes....
    However many are in a shit ton.

Limited. Shimano XTR got some OEM for 2019 but overall most brands have switched to (IMO superior in every way) SRAM mountain bike products.

I have been happy with SRAM for the last two bikes, but felt like changing it up on my latest. I also got a SCREAMING deal on the XTR early. I like the cassette numbers better (46t second gear, and the 51 let’s me run a 32 comfortably) and never really loved my guides. Still have Eagle x01 on my Altitude...(the XTR is for a 25# SB 100)
    Last edited by rideit; 03-11-2019 at 04:46 PM.

XTR brakes are still way better than anything SRAM makes... IMHO.

Yeah? You tried the Code brakes yet?

Better at what? Not offering modulation? Having more carbon?

I've fixed or replaced so many shimano brakes at this point I will not run them. Leaky seals at the lever and the piston. Shit pads. Sure they stop great but I don't want to stop I want to maintain speed and I don't want to rebuild brakes all the time.

Oh, I'm definitely not saying that Sram brakes are better than Shimano brakes. That's a tired old, dead horse that's been beaten many times over.
    What I am saying is, bikes can now spec a complete Sram groupset without worrying about the inevitable backlash from shitty brakes. You just aren't seeing any mix-and-match builds either. People aren't swapping out Sram brakes before their first ride.
    They're passable.
    So my point is, Sram has won in a massive way. I would not want to be a Shimano executive right now. Or a stockholder.

100% agree. SRAM does it all now.

I'm considering buying a new bike that has SRAM Guide R brakes. Any of you Shimano brake haters want to trade me some SLX or XT brakes, if I buy it?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Oh, I'm definitely not saying that Sram brakes are better than Shimano brakes. That's a tired old, dead horse that's been beaten many times over.
    What I am saying is, bikes can now spec a complete Sram groupset without worrying about the inevitable backlash from shitty brakes. You just aren't seeing any mix-and-match builds either. People aren't swapping out Sram brakes before their first ride.
    They're passable.
    So my point is, Sram has won in a massive way. I would not want to be a Shimano executive right now. Or a stockholder.
    Yeah, I agree - I'm all SRAM now for everything except for XTR brakes, which I love.

I got the 4pots, I will keep everyone posted after my spring road trip.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yeah? You tried the Code brakes yet?

Better at what? Not offering modulation? Having more carbon?

I've fixed or replaced so many shimano brakes at this point I will not run them. Leaky seals at the lever and the piston. Shit pads. Sure they stop great but I don't want to stop I want to maintain speed and I don't want to rebuild brakes all the time.
    Peach.

Code RSC's are the best brake on the market for any non-xc bike.

And I'll still take a Guide RS / RSC over any shimano option, any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Peach.

Code RSC's are the best brake on the market for any non-xc bike.

And I'll still take a Guide RS / RSC over any shimano option, any day of the week.
    Quoted for truth.

My S-works Epic Evo came with the new XTR 12 speed. It's been hangin on the wall at the shop for well over a month. Shimano dropped the ball so bad Specialized had to respec it last second with Next SL cranks which meant it couldn't run the XTR chain... which means its an $11,000 bike that kinda runs like shit out of the box... Thankfully Wolf Tooth has come to the rescue and made a Cinch chainring that will work with the new chain. Once the snow melts the new bits will be installed. Too bad, the gold KMC chain does look good on there.

Oddly enough word is the XT level stuff isn't too far off, I'm kinda scared to see how much the cassette will weigh.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    My S-works Epic Evo came with the new XTR 12 speed. It's been hangin on the wall at the shop for well over a month. Shimano dropped the ball so bad Specialized had to respec it last second with Next SL cranks
    What's above 1st world problems? Is that like negative 7th world?

What did they do about the wheels? Swap them too?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What did they do about the wheels? Swap them too?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They use DT 240 hubs so they have the microspline driver.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Oddly enough word is the XT level stuff isn't too far off, I'm kinda scared to see how much the cassette will weigh.
    Gx eagle cassette ftw. I wonder if we’ll see a poor mans axs- XT derailuer and shifter with gx cassette...

I was excited about the XTR hubs, but no longer can care. I’ll stick with DT Swiss.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    XTR brakes are still way better than anything SRAM makes... IMHO.
    Yep. Those 4 piston XTRs are looking like a worthy upgrade.

Otherwise, SRAM stuff is the new standard for me. Except the Reverb.....fuck the Reverb.

Are SRAM brakes serviceable? That's a big issue with Shimano, among other things. My experience with SRAM is limited to having to warranty Guides twice, but it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I've got Hopes on the XC bike, and I'm going to sell my replacement Guides to fund a set of Cura 4s.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Except the Reverb.....fuck the Reverb.
    IME most of the reverb issues were related to the button trigger... since I switched to the paddle I haven't had to bleed air out of it even once and it's been quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Are SRAM brakes serviceable? That's a big issue with Shimano, among other things. My experience with SRAM is limited to having to warranty Guides twice, but it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I've got Hopes on the XC bike, and I'm going to sell my replacement Guides to fund a set of Cura 4s.
    I've had to warranty one or two sets of Guides, a couple Reverbs, and a variety of suspension bits. But I've had tons of things break with pretty much every other bike brand as well. The difference with Sram is that warrantying those bits has always been ridiculously easy. And if the issue is something that can be fixed at home, parts for Sram are more likely to be readily available.

Sure, I'd rather just have parts that never break. But as far as I can tell, no such parts exist. So in the meantime, I'll use the stuff that works best and is the easiest to deal with when it does eventually break.

zero issues with many pairs of Guides and Level brakes. Had to warranty two reverbs.

Sram warranty process is quickest around.

Btw rebuild kits for brakes suck. Just throw it away and get a new one. Once a seal goes it is done.