Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Black Crows: Fad or Fab?

Are Black Crows the DPS skis of 2019? It seems like they are so fashionable right now. It will be interesting to see what people think in 2 or 3 years.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

https://youtu.be/FAxJECJJG6w

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

hot

Both?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I thought they broke up?

Their songs live on though.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Both fad and fab. Not DPS at all.

But the Noctas in particular are fucking amazing skis. Favorite powder ski ever. Anima Freebirds are pretty damn great for touring as well.

I originally came across the brand a few years back when I saw some 91mm Orbs for like $300 at the end of the season. I needed something narrower for my quiver so figured I'd give them a shot. Was blown away by how much I enjoyed them. Kept going from there. Also have some Atris I'm quite fond of as a playful alternative to my Wren 108's. Only ones I haven't clicked with were the Navis Freebirds - they weren't bad, just a bit catchy on the tails for my taste.

Black Crows: Fad or Fab?

I’m 1 for 1 in finding a great ski match for me with Black Crows. So happy I’m constantly perusing for other models I want to try at a discount.

Both. Super hot and very good skis.

I would add that the early Lotus 120's and 138's were amazing skis. Still are, really. DPS went downhill when the started adding weight and going after mass appeal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I would add that the early Lotus 120's and 138's were amazing skis. Still are, really. DPS went downhill when the started adding weight and going after mass appeal.
    Yeah, I think a lot of us just weren't fans of the much-hyped about Wailer 112 clown shoe rocker skis. I know I hated them. But have generally always heard good things about the Lotus.

Well both BC and DPS have been pretty successful at getting grown men to ski on some brightly colored pink and purple skis.

Dps makes quality skis they’re just too much money. I learned the hard way. The pair I have left is Cassiar Alchemist 95. At 1800g you can rally up hill and race down with surprising stoutness. Clocked 67 mph on em at Copper and had complete confidence vs other low weight skis I’ve been on.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Dps makes quality skis they’re just too much money.
    Always thought that about Kastle. There are skis just as good or better at half the price.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Always thought that about Kastle. There are skis just as good or better at half the price.
    Funny I’m a Kastle fan too. Would only buy at discount tho and did grab FX95 HP 189s. They’re cold dead handers.

Black Crows gets props from me too on warranty. Had a mild tip rocker shape formation issue. Contacted my retailer, next day had warranty instructions- provided requested info and claim was accepted. In less than 4 days a new pair was in the air..

Been happy with my Animas. Reaaaally want to get on a pair of Noctas.

I will admit I have historically been sort of a boutique ski whore (says every dude on this forum) and was a Lotus 138 fanboy for a while, until I realized I was only skiing 4k' untouched AK faces a couple days a year (maybe), where they are amazing, but they kind of suck in anything else. I started with Anima freebirds as my pow touring setup ~3yrs ago. Loved 'em (still do). No surprises, super predictable, fun in pow, easy to ski, great flex pattern, and with enough edge hold when you need it. Gradually expanded from there. In general, I get along pretty well with their design philosophy: progressive but nothing too outrageous, moderate rocker profiles, etc.. They seem to be a nice, predictable, middle-of-the-road, but still fun type of ski.

OP what do you mean by fashionable? Like will black crows owners all feel silly for skiing BC topsheets in a few years? Or are you talking about design/build? Like do you think the skis actually suck?

DPS made great skis. Now they don’t have much that appeals to me, especially for the price.

Fad or fab? No idea but they ski great and I wish more mainstream companies would look at their designs and shapes (hint hint DYNASTAR) because they easily replace most ski offerings on the wall.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Hmmm...

I've always thought of Black Crow skis as sort of boutique-light (or maybe faux-boutique) - kinda like Santa Cruz bikes. They want to try to pretend they're boutique... but they really are just a mainstream company attempting to demand a boutique price.

I mean - I've seen a lot of Crow skis on Sierra Trading Post, after all.

^^^ or 4frnt.

I think Black Crows = Santa Cruz is a good comparison nowadays... not the case 3-5 years ago. Trendy and pretty popular but also make a great product, but not exactly Salomon / K2 or Specialized / Trek (in size) by any means.

I got my 8 yo some off STP for cheap and decided to pick myself up a pair so we can both look like we work on molars. They ski well by me, even though I don't have the great sense of pride of having matchy matchy trendy dentist skis one should expect. I tried a pair of DPSs lotus 120s back in the day and it did not click, albeit one of the lighter constructs.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I think Black Crows = Santa Cruz is a good comparison nowadays... not the case 3-5 years ago. Trendy and pretty popular but also make a great product, but not exactly Salomon / K2 or Specialized / Trek (in size) by any means.
    That's kinda funny. It's probably true. Once upon a time though, Santa Cruz frames we actually cheaper than the big boys. We've owned 6-7 of their frames, but on my last purchase I switched over to Intense for price reasons.

In the ski world a company like K2 can make and sell a mindbender or a marksman (both of which I kinda want) for a pricepoint lower than a boutique group (who also make skis I want - Kartel 108). Bike frames used to be opposite for some crazy reason for about a decade or so...

I mean like "latest and greatest...the ski to be seen with", ....are they legit...... until they blow up, or lose their spring after 50 days, or skiers realize that they are shit...
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    OP what do you mean by fashionable? Like will black crows owners all feel silly for skiing BC topsheets in a few years? Or are you talking about design/build? Like do you think the skis actually suck?

Last edited by schindlerpiste; 03-11-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix