Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Black Crows graphics are the coolest out there. You all know it. That's why this thread exists.

Their "Our Story" starts with, "We create obsessively design driven objects" before getting to "that are uncompromising in performance and identity for contemporary skiing."

Some brilliant designer saw the potential in the simple little silhouette squadron of black L's. It's been extended to a whole family of takeoffs on that theme. Extruded into 3d; outline shapes; combination shapes; solid shapes; bold colorways (yeah, I said it); super graphic bases.

Always solid colors with the logo, reinforcing the brand. The neons take us back to the 80s, but more importantly they always catch your eye. BC visually distinguished the Freebird line as bright neon and the alpine line as more sedate with highlights. They've done French colors for specialty skis. The whole package is distinct and comprehensive at the same time. They infused "black crow" into all their ad copy.

Design & marketing done well. We are all talking about them. Some of us are getting offended at how we are all taken with them.

They are also decent skis, so you can hipster along while still making the claim that you just like how they ski.

That Huski topsheet is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Design & marketing done well.
    100% right about that

Separate form from function at your own peril.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Originally Posted by acinpdx
    Design & marketing done well.

100% right about that
    Kind of like the Icelantic topsheets. Regardless of how you feel about the skis, the topsheets have created a devoted following.

Wow... 6 pages? Really??

Best of the thread so far:

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    DPS clownshoe noodle garbage
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    eurotrash hipsters
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Then there's a shitload of spirits around my neighborhood and maybe I should hold a seance to tell them to stay the fuck out of my trash.

Black Crows: Fad or Fab?

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Or Flylow, good gear made by and for hardcore skiers, or branded meh gear that SF techies buy to "buy" coreness...
    Fuck! I have Black Crows and Flylow... such a poser! And I don’t even ski! ;-)

But for real, Flylow is awesome. Hoods that actually fit over helmets without strangling you, and BC pants with full length venting, what a crazy concept.

I know you’re being tongue in cheek, but it is funny that the best skier in the Tahoe thread lives in SF.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    You almost have to grudgingly respect how ridiculous they are.
    I think they’re just French. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    That Huski topsheet is awesome.
    Thanks man,

If you look carefully - in the branches behind the husky's head - are my girls' names.

I put them there so:
    A) they would always be with me;
    B) when I am making important go/no go decisions I am reminded of what is important.

this is how i picture myself on the noctas. my partners say otherwise. the skis obviously suck
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Thanks man,

If you look carefully - in the branches behind the husky's head - are my girls' names.

I put them there so:
    A) they would always be with me;
    B) when I am making important go/no go decisions I am reminded of what is important.
    Doubly impressed now. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    There is a legend that the black crows you meet in the mountains are the spirits of those people who've gone before us and perished in the mountains.

Thought it was pretty safe assumption that that is where brand name came from.
    I thought it was because white stripes was taken

hipster dentists arguing how many other hipster dentists get to like a band before it becomes uncool, while making stupidly broad generalizations and pretending they didn't like the band that was cool before this band was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    hipster dentists arguing how many other hipster dentists get to like a band before it becomes uncool, while making stupidly broad generalizations and pretending they didn't like the band that was cool before this band was cool.
    You can be a dick sometimes but also very insightful. This thread is really something...

Perhaps another song will help...
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'm surprised this thread took this long to appear. Black Crows might be the first time in TGR messageboard history that a widely distributed ski hardgoods brand was still popular as a ski brand to messageboard people.

not sure how much thats a testament to BCs skill in negotiating the transition from niche to mainstream vs. the shakeout in the indy ski scene vs. the board is aging.

Who’s their NA distributor?

When is REI gonna pick them up (like they’ve picked up DPS)? REI will drag a smaller company down into a wormhole.

Somebody asked about durability. What’s the story? I’m not taking about touring durability. What’s their equivalent to a volkl explosive?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    When is REI gonna pick them up (like they’ve picked up DPS)? REI will drag a smaller company down into a wormhole.
    REI carried them this ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    REI carried them this ski season.
    O snap. I didn’t know that.

It’s over.

I see so many of them on hood on I thought the resort was using them as rentals, but I guess they are resort demos up in these parts. I only have one day on this years corvus, but it was a good day. I like it enough that I look forward to trying their other offerings.

Conversely to us Europeans PM Gear, Praxis, ON3P and the like are hipster American skis...

I say this as a European who owns PM gear and Black Crows, I also think beards are horrendous, check shirts are only for lumberjacks, and hate coffee and craft beer (tea is one's tipple). Theres not even one smidge of hipster in me.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Black Crows: Fad or Fab?

Funny. I think of PM Gear as skis for major internet dorks, and Praxis is for just regular internet dorks. And I love praxis skis and all Keith is doing so no hate there - but I don’t think either brand has any “cool” factor to them.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post

American hipsters copying Europeans...

this photo is not supporting your thesis at all

Didn't read the thread but I have two pairs because I like the graphics, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by lordf View Post
    Conversely to us Europeans PM Gear, Praxis, ON3P and the like are hipster American skis...

I say this as a European who owns PM gear and Black Crows, I also think beards are horrendous, check shirts are only for lumberjacks, and hate coffee and craft beer (tea is one's tipple). Theres not even one smidge of hipster in me.
    Your European is showing. In the US, craft beer is fully mainstream and has been for well over a decade, maybe two.