Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Black Crows with Shifts seem to a be popular accessory with the fashion conscious skier around here.
    ^^^This. Not saying that Black Crow doesn’t build good skis or suggesting that anyone here bought them because they were “hipster” skis but you can’t deny that they are the new “it” skis. In addition to personal experiences, the first person I heard call Black Crows “hipster” skis were locals from Jackson Hole.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    That's the exact vibe with them in Seattle. Spotting them everywhere with local Powder Techs.
    Everywhere?! I call bullshit. I have yet to see anyone with the standard new Corvus at around 40 days on area at 4 different WA resorts. Once in awhile you see an Atris, Anima, or freebird variation here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I skied the Corvus and Daemon, both of which were totally meh.
    Buttahboy what’s your hot ski, ace? Bonafide? Enforcers? Sickle? How about you suckle
    Go on Now

Observation: people who have skied BC, here posting they dig em and they’re lasting. Then the sideline players who haven’t skied them pointing and judging saying they’re a hipster fad ski made by boutique posers.

Also if they’re a hit in Cham, JH, and Japan maybe y’all are behind the times

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8812.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	273625

Uh oh I’ve got shifts on two pairs... should I post this in the gaper thread?

Although to be fair, I’ve mostly just been touring on the Tectons, which I also put on the Ravens. Do I have my cool guy cred back or am I a techie hipster wannabe fuckface? Having trouble keeping track, it’s so complicated around here. ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    ^^^This. Not saying that Black Crow doesn’t build good skis or suggesting that anyone here bought them because they were “hipster” skis but you can’t deny that they are the new “it” skis. In addition to personal experiences, the first person I heard call Black Crows “hipster” skis were locals from Jackson Hole.
    Exactly. I'd ski them. Shapes look good, as does construction. I have an occasional touring partner (who is both a badass skier AND an actual dentist) who has been skiing the shit out of the Navis Freebird for 2-3 years. But for all the wealthy Boulderites who need to parade around in the newest, hottest outdoor gear, Black Crows are the skis of the moment. I'll bet Neptune sells a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Everywhere?! I call bullshit. I have yet to see anyone with the standard new Corvus at around 40 days on area at 4 different WA resorts. Once in awhile you see an Atris, Anima, or freebird variation here and there.

Buttahboy what’s your hot ski, ace? Bonafide? Enforcers? Sickle? How about you suckle
    Go on Now

Observation: people who have skied BC, here posting they dig em and they’re lasting. Then the sideline players who haven’t skied them pointing and judging saying they’re a hipster fad ski made by boutique posers.

Also if they’re a hit in Cham, JH, and Japan maybe y’all are behind the times
    I find interesting how people here are defensive about Black Crows being called “hipster” skis which is very different than saying that they are bad skis. Think about older BMWs, which were the Ultimate Driving Machines in their time. No one is disputing their dynamics but people do comment about “BMW drivers” because many people who bought them weren’t enthusiasts but bad drivers. Doesn’t mean that you as an auto enthusiast bought them for the wrong reason. Ditto Black Crows.

Black Crows: Fad or Fab?

Because they aren’t. They’ve been way too popular in Europe the last several years to have any obscure status. They sponsor a lot of big names in recent years too like Michelle Parker and Mark Abma. People ask me about ON3P’s all the time and almost never about Black Crows.

I find interesting how people here are defensive about Black Crows being called “hipster” skis which is very different than saying that they are bad skis. Think about older BMWs, which were the Ultimate Driving Machines in their time. No one is disputing their dynamics but people do comment about “BMW drivers” because many people who bought them weren’t enthusiasts but bad drivers. Doesn’t mean that you as an auto enthusiast bought them for the wrong reason. Ditto Black Crows.
    If you’re referring to me, I’m recycling the verbiage contributed in this thread. I’ll defend the brand based on my experience. Would do the same for ON3P. I just see people making callous comments on a product they haven’t been on but feel comfortable enough to generalize that others are foolishly buying skis only because they’re cool.

I’ve got a pair of those poles and I love them.

Congrats! If you made it this far in the thread you’re now stupider than when you started reading. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Congrats! If you made it this far in the thread you’re now stupider than when you started reading. Good job!
    Can we get this auto posted at the bottom of page 2 - or in some cases page 50 - on almost every thread on TGR.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Always thought that about Kastle. There are skis just as good or better at half the price.
    Based on retail prices, maybe. End of season prices, they're only a hundy or two more than the competition, and definitely worth the premium, at least in the mx98/99 vs bonafide/monster 98 or mx88/89 vs brahma/monster 88 areas of the quiver. Never skied their fat or sans metal skis, so couldn't comment there. I paid 4-something for my mx98s, NIP.

Anyway, good luck on consensus though. On the one side, you'll have fanboys like me who will always own a set. On the other, you'll have a legion of people who ski the competition and maybe have demo'd kastles once or never. If anyone has put more than 10-15 days on one of the MX kastles and gone back to the competition, I haven't seen them mention it on TGR, but I've sure as shit seen it the other way around fairly often.

Re: Black Crows, the extent of the overnight popularity is mind boggling--so much so that I can't even entertain them until things level off a bit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No dog in this fight. I hand flexed CascadeLukes Corvus, mother of god are they fucking stiff! One of the stiffest flexing skis I’ve felt in a while. I like burly skis but they made me a touch nervous just flexing them. They must be easy to ski since Luke has them.

lol... this forum sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    If you’re referring to me, I’m recycling the verbiage contributed in this thread. I’ll defend the brand based on my experience. Would do the same for ON3P. I just see people making callous comments on a product they haven’t been on but feel comfortable enough to generalize that others are foolishly buying skis only because they’re cool.
    No one in this thread said that Black Crows were bad skis, just commented on some of the people (not all) who ski them. Hence the BMW analogy. You don’t have to drive a BMW to realize that many of the BMW drivers aren’t the best on the road.

Overnight popularity is an interesting take for a brand that’s been around for over 10 years... that’s a pretty US-centric statement and we are not the center of the ski universe. Not even close.

I would liken them to a Euro Armada, and the irony is not lost on me with that statement. Although I’m sure it will go over many heads in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    I think most of their skis are made at the Atomic factory in Altenmarkt Austria, with some extra production form the Elan factory in Slovenia. I haven't heard about a Movement connection, but if that's true their skis are nicer than Elan's, so it's safe to say that Black Crows quality is good.
    My pair of '19 Daemons (non tech bro in Seattle chiming in here) were made in Slovenia, and they seem to be super high quality. Got about 15 days on them, barely have a scratch. Ordered and had them shipped from Freeze shop in the UK fwiw, don't know if that matters in any way.

Love the skis, seemingly have a freakish combo of being very light while still staying stable and damp. Haven't really tried much from some of the more hip and popular mag brands people seem to rav about around here so take that how'd you'd like.

They’re hipster

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I skied the Corvus and Daemon, both of which were totally meh.
    The K2 Mindbender 90 Ti looks like a good solid shape, way more modern looking than the Pinnacle. But they ski worse than the Pinnacle. Moving production to China has ruined that once great company.
    Who brought the pooper to the party?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I would liken them to a Euro Armada, and the irony is not lost on me with that statement. Although I’m sure it will go over many heads in this thread.
    Best analogy I've seen in this thread. If Armada were to blow up in Euroland, it would be the same as what we're seeing here with Black Crows.

Because they aren’t. They’ve been way too popular in Europe the last several years to have any obscure status.
    Lol. Are you really suggesting that something can’t be hipster because it’s popular in a foreign land? That’s exactly what hipsters do, take something that is popular elsewhere (Europe or otherwise) and do it here in America. As long as it’s not mainstream culture here, it’s fair game for hipsters.

This is confusing. Are they hipster skis or eurotrash skis? Can they be eurotrash hipsters?

Overnight popularity is an interesting take for a brand that’s been around for over 10 years... that’s a pretty US-centric statement and we are not the center of the ski universe. Not even close.

I live in the us. 10yrs to Europe feels more like 10 weeks to my ignorant American ass.

Not a knock on the skis. Maybe they're great. I won't know for a while. It's ok with me if you like them. It's ok with me if you don't. You are very handsome and talented, and nothing I say should be considered a threat to your black crow affinity.

Overnight popularity perception could have a lot to do with the fact that I didn't know anyone who had any last year (or even earlier this year) and have suddenly heard of 4 or 5 among buddies. If I get black Crows now, I'll be a follower, and we mustn't be followers. If only I was more hip to European vibes, I could simply think of my friends as behind the European times and thus do what I want, but alas!

Lol. Are you really suggesting that something can’t be hipster because it’s popular in a foreign land? That’s exactly what hipsters do, take something that is popular elsewhere (Europe or otherwise) and do it here in America. As long as it’s not mainstream culture here, it’s fair game for hipsters.
    Not in ski culture unless you’re completely clueless... skiing in itself is already a niche.

For all your comments in this thread, have you seen a single pair of Black Crows in the BC in Tahoe this season aside from mine? I’m a dad of three in advertising, hardly some hipster... as you know.

Btw we should get out next week for the start of corn season. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I live in the us. 10yrs to Europe feels more like 10 weeks to my ignorant American ass.

Not a knock on the skis. Maybe they're great. I won't know for a while. It's ok with me if you like them. It's ok with me if you don't. You are very handsome and talented, and nothing I say should be considered a threat to your black crow affinity.

Overnight popularity perception could have a lot to do with the fact that I didn't know anyone who had any last year (or even earlier this year) and have suddenly heard of 4 or 5 among buddies. If I get black Crows now, I'll be a follower, and we mustn't be followers. If only I was more hip to European vibes, I could simply think of my friends as behind the European times and thus do what I want, but alas!

^^^This. I first saw Black Crows when I was in Chamonix in 2011. They seemed to be in every shop and so I googled them and was like, cool a new Chamonix based ski company. Then all of a sudden a year or two ago I start seeing them more and more in the U.S. and let’s just say that most of the people rocking them didn’t look like hardcore locals. Purely anecdotal but a sentiment also echoed by some locals from Jackson at a backcountry ski lodge in Canada.

Not in ski culture unless you’re completely clueless... skiing in itself is already a niche.

For all your comments in this thread, have you seen a single pair of Black Crows in the BC in Tahoe this season aside from mine? I’m a dad of three in advertising, hardly some hipster... as you know.

Btw we should get out next week for the start of corn season. ;-)
    No, I haven’t. Not calling you a hipster either and after going to Chamonix a few times, I literally would be shocked if a French ski company based in Chamonix produced shitty skis. That being said, I spent a decent amount of time in Europe four or five years ago and let me tell you American hipsters have copied Europeans in many ways from skis to fashion to hair styles. Being in Europe at that time was a bit like looking into the future of American hipterism.

Let’s totally get out next week. Can’t wait to rock my soon to be hipster (or are they already hipster?) Lhasa pows in the corn.