Page 47 of 90 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2234

Thread: NFL 2019/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I am sure he'll be back next year.
    have him call Ndamukong Suh's agent

All this controversy because we saw it unfold. Just think how much weekly controversy we would have if we could actually see what was going on those pile-up scrums for loose balls. Pun maybe intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    ...However, Garrett did take him down long after the ball was gone, which seemed to start the whole thing...
    ref did not flag that weird hit and takedown, because it was a legal hit with lots of weird circumstances (Steeler lineman pushed Garrett which accelerated him into the QB out of control, QB's throw had no windup and was a weird shot-put flick that was hard to see, Garrett's face was buried in QB's chest and couldn't see if QB still had the ball or not, announcer Joe Buck was so fooled he mistakenly said "And now a sack!", plus it was a backwards pass which I'm guessing means the QB does not get the benefit of some of the protective rules, etc)...and Rudolph should know that a hit & takedown like that is just part of the game, not even a penalty, so no need for Rudolph to pull on Garrett's helmet in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I feel like Rudolph is getting off because everyone pretty much knows he sucks as a player and isn't going to be around the league for long.
    maybe i'm not a real nfl fan, but if a star QB is out (Roethlesberger), i might as well hope to see some entertainment from the 2nd-string QB's...like Rudolph could keep kicking people in the balls every week, go nuts in a bunch of fights every week, and Rudolph is very very entertaining the way he makes kickass tackles after he throws an interception, hahaha
    "Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality."
    Einstein

The field already looks horrible. I hope no one gets hurt as a result.

I'm surprised anyone is defending Garrett. That scuffle went a bit further than most football scuffles, but there was nothing too crazy until Garrett swung the helmet at a player without a helmet. If Rudolph had a helmet on it's not that big of a deal, but he could easily have seriously injured Rudolph if he had connected squarely. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    I'm surprised anyone is defending Garrett. That scuffle went a bit further than most football scuffles, but there was nothing too crazy until Garrett swung the helmet at a player without a helmet. If Rudolph had a helmet on it's not that big of a deal, but he could easily have seriously injured Rudolph if he had connected squarely. Just my $.02.

Is Rudolph out of the hospital yet? Man, he must have almost died from being hit like that.

Seriously. If Garret doesn't swing the helmet nobody is talking about it anymore. A couple people get fined and everyone moves on. The super egregious act was swinging a helmet down on someone's head. That is just unacceptable and had the potential to kill someone. Nothing else that happened before or after came anywhere close to that level. He should get a year at least.

A year? Now we’re reaching Stephen A. levels of what if.

There’s what happened and what didn’t. Then there’s data points on what has been penalized in the past and what hasn’t.

Grandiose proclamations of punishment rarely align with either.
    I still call it The Jake.

I would not be surprised if he was suspended for the balance of this year.

I would not be surprised if he was suspended for the balance of this year.
    I wouldn’t be too surprised, either, considering the the NFL has already said that he will be suspended at LEAST that long.

If this was hockey we were talking about we wouldn't be talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    i mean, he didn't get caught with a joint, but it was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If this was hockey we were talking about we wouldn't be talking about it.
    History suggests otherwise:

Marty McSorley slashes Donald Brashear in the head

The incident: An aging Marty McSorley had his hands full when he dropped the gloves with heavyweight Donald Brashear during a game between the Bruins and Canucks on February 21, 2000. Brashear got the best of McSorley and the brash enforcer rubbed it in, dusting off his hands and mocking his opponent. McSorley, seeking to save face, tried to entice Brashear into another bout later in the game, but Brashear wouldn’t take the bait. McSorley trailed Brashear as he skated down the ice, suddenly slashing him hard on the side of the head. Brashear toppled to the ice unconscious. McSorly was suspended for the remainder of the season (23 games) and never played again in the NHL. He was later charged with assault.

The outcome
    : McSorley was found guilty of assault with a weapon and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

Dino Ciccarelli clubs Luke Richardson:

The incident: Ciccarelli was a skilled forward with a temper. So when he was rubbed out along the boards by bruising rookie Leafs defenceman Luke Richardson during a game at Maple Leaf Gardens on January 6, 1988, he took exception. But Dino took things a bit too far, clubbing a stunned-looking Richardson several times with his stick. Ciccarelli was tossed from the game and later handed a 10-game suspension.

The outcome
    : Ciccarelli was charged and convicted of assault. He was fined $1,000 and sentenced to one day in jail.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2016/02/...minal-charges/

IMHO, Garrett swinging a helmet at a bare headed player is at least equivalent to a hockey stick to the head. Those players who received a head slash also were still wearing their helmets and play had not been stopped at the time.

stan mikita

Fuckin Ulf Samuelsson shoulda been charged.

Wayne Maki and Teddy Green were the first two players ever charged, they were fighting each other using their sticks. Both were acquitted. Green ended up with a fractured skull and brain damage. (he came back to play again)

^ that’s what I was thinking

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good to see Rudolph do the right thing. Hope Garret gets a reprieve

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

There’s what happened and what didn’t. Then there’s data points on what has been penalized in the past and what hasn’t.

Grandiose proclamations of punishment rarely align with either.
    He assaulted him with a weapon. A year long suspension is fitting. Go pick up a football helmet and swing it at a pumpkin.

I remember when people wanted Brady suspended for a year or indefinitely for supposedly knowing that the ball boy conspired to make the balls .2 psi below specification.

Brady should have been suspended for wearing that dooshbag camo canada goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    History suggests otherwise:

Marty McSorley slashes Donald Brashear in the head

The incident: An aging Marty McSorley had his hands full when he dropped the gloves with heavyweight Donald Brashear during a game between the Bruins and Canucks on February 21, 2000. Brashear got the best of McSorley and the brash enforcer rubbed it in, dusting off his hands and mocking his opponent. McSorley, seeking to save face, tried to entice Brashear into another bout later in the game, but Brashear wouldn’t take the bait. McSorley trailed Brashear as he skated down the ice, suddenly slashing him hard on the side of the head. Brashear toppled to the ice unconscious. McSorly was suspended for the remainder of the season (23 games) and never played again in the NHL. He was later charged with assault.

The outcome
    : McSorley was found guilty of assault with a weapon and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

Dino Ciccarelli clubs Luke Richardson:

The incident: Ciccarelli was a skilled forward with a temper. So when he was rubbed out along the boards by bruising rookie Leafs defenceman Luke Richardson during a game at Maple Leaf Gardens on January 6, 1988, he took exception. But Dino took things a bit too far, clubbing a stunned-looking Richardson several times with his stick. Ciccarelli was tossed from the game and later handed a 10-game suspension.

The outcome
    : Ciccarelli was charged and convicted of assault. He was fined $1,000 and sentenced to one day in jail.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2016/02/...minal-charges/

IMHO, Garrett swinging a helmet at a bare headed player is at least equivalent to a hockey stick to the head. Those players who received a head slash also were still wearing their helmets and play had not been stopped at the time.
    I should have known someone would bring that up.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Brady should have been suspended for wearing that dooshbag camo canada goose.
    True, but proof that you can't be good at everything. Obviously letting someone else handle fashion... whoever that might be?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    He assaulted him with a weapon. A year long suspension is fitting. Go pick up a football helmet and swing it at a pumpkin.

I remember when people wanted Brady suspended for a year or indefinitely for supposedly knowing that the ball boy conspired to make the balls .2 psi below specification.
    Pumpkins are hard to come by after Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    True, but proof that you can't be good at everything. Obviously letting someone else handle fashion... whoever that might be?
    Gisle, duh.

Garrett indefinite suspension upheld.

Not that it makes anything that Garrett did during the fight ok (you pedants), but I’m kinda surprised Rudolph got off with just a first time fine.

I was initially surprised re Rudolph too. But here's the thing: take out Garrett's swinging of the helmet and the subsequent craziness. If everything else had happened the same way -- the late takedown, Rudolph trying to pull the helmet off, the groin kick, his helmet getting ripped off, him going back for more -- but no helmet swing, would Rudolph get suspended? He wouldn't, just a fine probably. So a suspension would be some penalty of "because this guy went apeshit over what you did, we're suspending you." IOW, his actions in a vacuum didn't warrant suspension.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^huh, that's actually a super good way to put it. Thanks.