2019 K2 Wayback Revamp- Anybody on these sticks?

Other than the Wildsnow and Blister reviews of these, I haven't seen any real reviews of the new K2 Wayback lineup. As popular as the Wayback series has been for as long as its been around, I figured there would be a little more buzz about them.

Specifically, I'm wondering if anybody is on the Wayback 106. I ski the Pinnacle 105 for in-bounds and really like it. It's good for my speed limit (relatively slow) and nice and maneuverable with decent float for PNW snow. I like the dampness. I'm considering picking up some Wayback 106's for a deeper snow touring ski, as they weigh in at about the same weight as my 89-waist touring skis from 2012, and I figure they might share a similar ride.

So, any firsthand beta? Nobody in my area is carrying these to check out in person.

Heh, I knew these skis weren’t up TGR alley, but I figured somebody might have skied them. Trying to decide between the 96 and 106.

Anyone touring on the 106? Seems light AF, traditional mount point, I don’t know
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Is it actually a revamp? I don't see any information as to whether the design is now, but the rocker profile really looks like the mindbender series so maybe it is?

Hell, the K2 website doesn't even list the weight... wtf?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I demoed the 96 for one day last season and liked it, quite stable for its weight. I already had a 99mm touring ski though. A few days ago I bought the 106, hope to try it soon. A well known poster on Skipass (french forum) has the 106 and really like it too. I mounted it at +0.5, I like traditional mounts but the line is very far back. Flex and shape looks quite similar to the BMX 105 which I really like. I got the 2020 which is the same as 2021 except graphics. Weight is 1550g in a 179. We’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    I demoed the 96 for one day last season and liked it, quite stable for its weight. I already had a 99mm touring ski though. A few days ago I bought the 106, hope to try it soon. A well known poster on Skipass (french forum) has the 106 and really like it too. I mounted it at +0.5, I like traditional mounts but the line is very far back. Flex and shape looks quite similar to the BMX 105 which I really like. I got the 2020 which is the same as 2021 except graphics. Weight is 1550g in a 179. We’ll see.
    Nice be eager to here your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Is it actually a revamp? I don't see any information as to whether the design is now, but the rocker profile really looks like the mindbender series so maybe it is?

Hell, the K2 website doesn't even list the weight... wtf?

Right?! It’s pretty wild how little info is on it. LD over at Wildsnow seemed to suggest it was truly an all new ski, but I like you, share the same concern.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I had the previous gen 96s without the really tapered tips and they were pretty fun. I bought on a whim for less than $200 last season, but only ended up using them at the resort. Playful in soft spring snow, but as you'd expect on crusty groomers - chattery and loose without much edgehold. Nothing surprising really. I'd compare them to the Black Diamond Aspect, if you know those...just an easy going lightweight wood core ski. Pretty sure the construction is about the same in the current gen.

When push came to shove, I usually grabbed my Blizzard Bushwackers though. They are a little more stout...still kinda light...and I felt I could hold much more of an edge when needed. But they are also mellow and easy to ski. If that's what your after, I recently saw some for super cheap online. Same with the Nordica Navigator, which seems to be for a similar segment.
    Last edited by stec06; 12-30-2020 at 07:38 AM.

I have the Wayback 106.
    I have only skied the Pinnacle 96 once, my wife skis the women’s version all the time. From that and reviews, I’d bet, the Wayback 106 is very similar to a lighter weight Pinnacle 106.
    The Tip, and especially tail are bit less tapered, so it might
    grab into turns a bit sooner?

Unfortunately, due to Covid, I have not been able to take them out west yet.
    From my time on them here in MN I can say:
    -Weight is great (my pair of 185cm are 1600/ski).
    -They are quite loose and surfy on hardpack and shallow powder (1 foot/30cm).
    -Lot’s of ski in front (maybe wish I had gone a touch forward on the mount)
    - They still feel “mellow” as far as grabbing into and holding a turn. At least on hardpack and shallow powder where I tried them. I was half expecting them to be a bit more “locked in” to turns.

Unlike the Pinnacle series, the Waybacks loose the tail rocker, for the models other than the 106.

These are good touring skis. They are ultralight with some carbon, so they aren't damp, but you get good touring performance for that. Titanal mounting plate. I've skied the 96 mm x 177 cm as my volcano/light and fast ski for 3 seasons now, and I really like them. The rocker & taper makes them ski powder really well for the size, which we got last October off of Volcan Lonquimay in Chile. They are suprisingly surfy for their width. They ski corn fine, as will basically any ski, and on ice I've found them to be reliable. The one thing I've found is that the forward/back balance point is smaller than I'm used to, probably because I downsized the length for long tours. I think the 96 is best paired with a lighter boot. Haven't skied the wider ones.

All of the models are the same since the revision a few years back that added taper and changed the construction to have carbon, from what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    These are good touring skis. They are ultralight with some carbon, so they aren't damp, but you get good touring performance for that. Titanal mounting plate. I've skied the 96 mm x 177 cm as my volcano/light and fast ski for 3 seasons now, and I really like them. The rocker & taper makes them ski powder really well for the size, which we got last October off of Volcan Lonquimay in Chile. They are suprisingly surfy for their width. They ski corn fine, as will basically any ski, and on ice I've found them to be reliable. The one thing I've found is that the forward/back balance point is smaller than I'm used to, probably because I downsized the length for long tours. I think the 96 is best paired with a lighter boot. Haven't skied the wider ones.

All of the models are the same since the revision a few years back that added taper and changed the construction to have carbon, from what I know.
    Could you post a pic of the rocker profile, base to base?

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season