Thread: Road Rim Choice

Road Rim Choice

I need to buy some cheap new wheels for my travel road bike. I need robust wheels that will not get beat up during air travel in the bike case. I'm 200 lbs and will mostly ride on pavement and the occasional well prepared gravel road.
    I'm thinking a 32 hole wheel, with an aluminum rim, around 2000g.
    I have found some cheap deals on 32 hole Ultegra hubs. The rim brake rim options are:
    - H Plus Son Archetype
    - DT Swiss R460's
    - Mavic Open Pro

Any one have an opinion on the above rims?

I have some OPs with 32 holes mounted on Chorus hubs and they’ve been sturdy for me at 175#s. Not light but super solid. I got them in 2004 and they’re still rolling true.

Colorado Cyclist used to have good prices on hand.-built wheels. See what they have: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/cust...bike-wheelsets

I've been pretty tempted by these for general riding on my cross bike

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=3596

lighter than you want and that velocity quill is really similar to a hed belgium in dimensions and weight. Tubeless ready, 21mm internal width. So I guess if you don't have a ton of tire clearance it could be an issue.

Are you running wider tires? Tubeless? I think the open pros will be the narrowest of the three and unless the new ones are different, aren’t tubeless. Having had all of the above I’d say they will all get the job done. The open pros of today don’t seem to be as nice as the older ones for what it’s worth. DT rims are solid, as are the Hplus. If wanting to run wider tires consider HED Belgiums.

if all other prices/quality are the same, go wider and tubeless Cuz no downside

Road Rim Choice

This^^^^ although there’s kind of a limit with the rim brakes. Try ROL, they’re at 23 mm now, they have a competitor, Williams.
    Also a good article:
    https://intheknowcycling.com/2018/04...disc-wheelset/
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Do not do tubeless tires on wheels that use rim brakes. Even if they say tubeless ready they are not safe for use with rim brakes.

On my main bike I run tubeless and have for 5 years with out trouble.
    I will not run tubeless on theses rims (although I can still buy tubeless) because they are going on a Ritchey Breakaway that disassembles and fits into a regular airline suitcase. I have to deflate the tires to fit and to fly, and it can be a pain to get them inflated at my focal destination. I had some nice 16/20 spoke 1600g wheels, but they got bent out of shape on a trip.
    That’s why I’m looking for a 32 spoke aluminum rim option.
    That Velomine has a bunch of $650 sets for 50% off.
    I’m just going to pick one with 6800 hubs, 32 spokes and the widest/tubeless rim option.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Do not do tubeless tires on wheels that use rim brakes. Even if they say tubeless ready they are not safe for use with rim brakes.
    haven't heard this before...I know even mfg reps have only recently started pushing the technology as its finally to the point that rim's and tires are very reliable...

but haven't heard of not using rim brakes a d tubeless tires

more info?

Seriously. What are you talking about? I had first gen. Hutchinson Fusion in 2010? Lots and lots of miles . Wife too. Love tubeless. Stays on the rim. 60 mph downhills. Whatever.

You brake too much?

Yeah I'm a firm believer in tubeless only with disc rims.

Rim brakes got too hot in my experience. Blew a lot of tires off the rim racing cyclocross. I know road tubeless has a "standard" but we didn't have that with cyclocross. As an engineer I concluded that it was the excess heat (and poor bead connection) that caused the numerous (6+?) failures and tires popping off. Well maybe it was the hard cornering also. Anyway I've had mixed experience and don't think it is a good system.

Anyway I still think tubeless should only be on disc rims. I love tubeless I even put it on my off road motorcycles. Rim brakes just have inherent drawbacks.

heat in snowy mud cyclocross courses? or did u mean criterium? like u said the earlier years weren't as solid, but not lots of tires popping off the rims..

Yeah I'm a firm believer in tubeless only with disc rims.

Rim brakes got too hot in my experience. Blew a lot of tires off the rim racing cyclocross. I know road tubeless has a "standard" but we didn't have that with cyclocross. As an engineer I concluded that it was the excess heat (and poor bead connection) that caused the numerous (6+?) failures and tires popping off. Well maybe it was the hard cornering also. Anyway I've had mixed experience and don't think it is a good system.

Anyway I still think tubeless should only be on disc rims. I love tubeless I even put it on my off road motorcycles. Rim brakes just have inherent drawbacks.
    So what you are saying is, you ran the same tire tubeless on a rim and disk set up and you only blew it on a rim brakes? ... I am just making that assumption, because I would assume a (good) engineer wouldn't just blindly pass that kind of judgment without real word data (that considers all variables) to back it up.

The majority of tubeless road fails are related to weak sidewall / tire casings. Particularity in the early days. If your tubeless tire isn't heavier than the tire you run tubes, its probably gonna blow.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

4 different tires from 3 different manufacturers for me on 3 different manufacturer’ rims . All great. Never going back. Road tires for road bikes with Ultegra and Dura Ace rim brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    4 different tires from 3 different manufacturers for me on 3 different manufacturer’ rims . All great. Never going back. Road tires for road bikes with Ultegra and Dura Ace rim brakes.
    Uhmm...are you an engineer? How can we trust this assessment without credentials.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    So what you are saying is, you ran the same tire tubeless on a rim and disk set up and you only blew it on a rim brakes? ... I am just making that assumption, because I would assume a (good) engineer wouldn't just blindly pass that kind of judgment without real word data (that considers all variables) to back it up.

The majority of tubeless road fails are related to weak sidewall / tire casings. Particularity in the early days. If your tubeless tire isn't heavier than the tire you run tubes, its probably gonna blow.
    I love how you say my judgement is possibly without merit and a subtle jab at what is a good engineer AND THEN state your OPINION of what the most common failure is WITHOUT DATA to back it up. Lol

I love internet bike engineers.

I'm sure Shimano tubeless rims are nice and generally trustworthy. I tested Stans and Mavic back when the standard came out. I personally don't trust rim brake tubeless from my race experience. In a heavy braking situation combined with cornering I think the heat is too excessive and a blow out could occur. So the safer alternative is disc.

I'll get a real world test on a couple bikes coming down the road on the volcano in Hawaii right away fellows. Just for your entertainment and knowledge. My film crew loves going on assignment.

Pretty sure unseated tires in cross is not from the heat. But it might have something to do with rough surfaces and hard cornering combined with running the lowest possible pressure.

In my opinion heat matters also. Sorry but my experience proved it well enough to me years ago. Heat is often overlooked on bicycles. I had a rim explode on me years ago. Rim was too thin and rim brakes apply heat and friction....boom!

We have one bike that still has rim brake tubeless for cyclocross. Wife had to drop out of 4 races because of tires rolling off. I tried all sorts of tire pressures, rubber strips, extra stans goop, reset the tires, etc. Total waste of time. She drags her brakes way too much, she doesn't push corners hard, and doesn't run low pressure. Total amateur.

I had the same experience a few years ago and gave up on trying rim brake tubeless. Now on rim brakes with tubular tires. Generally happy with that but killed 2 tubular tires last race season. Expensive to replace. Why do I keep doing this? Lol I swear I am the best at killing bicycle parts. I've found a way to break everything possible at this point.

I don’t have anything that’s particularly cheap to add but my aluminum/carbon blend dura ace c24 have been amazing, light with a nice aluminum braking surface. Really enjoying them.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I don’t have anything that’s particularly cheap to add but my aluminum/carbon blend dura ace c24 have been amazing, light with a nice aluminum braking surface. Really enjoying them.
    My road bike came with RS-81s, which are a cheaper version of those, and the rear blew a spoke and both got all bent to shit in less than a year. Buuut, kind of a result of some of the local rides and races more than anything.

Rim brake tubeless vs. rim brake tubed. Does one get hotter than the other?

I've seen plenty of tubed tires blow out during a long downhill neutral rollout towards a starting line at a road race (happened every year).

The merits of tubeless road systems is another discussion...

And tubeless for cyclocross can be very frustrating...pressures too low and camber, roots, tight corners, etc. Not enough tire volume.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    My road bike came with RS-81s, which are a cheaper version of those, and the rear blew a spoke and both got all bent to shit in less than a year. Buuut, kind of a result of some of the local rides and races more than anything.
    Yeah mine have been bomber that said, I don’t ride them on gravel ever, just because I don’t enjoy gravel riding, generally the roads I’m on are ok-fine-above average. Who knows tho.