Q for Atomic Hawx owners and bootfitters

Have a well beaten pair of Hawx 2.0, shell and liner molded really well for my weird high instep, normal arch, normal width foot. They are 100 width. Thinking about going with the Hawx Ultra 130 s, which is 98 mm, or the Prime S at 100 mm. One source suggested that the new 98 will fit more like my old 100, width, I might find the Prime looser than my current 2.0. Any mag update their Hawx and can report on fit changes?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

no first hand experience with any

go smaller and make wider if needed.

hard to make a big boot smaller

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    One source suggested that the new 98 will fit more like my old 100 width
    Two sources. Hawx Ultra is slightly narrower, but not really that much lower volume than the old Hawx 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Have a well beaten pair of Hawx 2.0, shell and liner molded really well for my weird high instep, normal arch, normal width foot. They are 100 width. Thinking about going with the Hawx Ultra 130 s, which is 98 mm, or the Prime S at 100 mm. One source suggested that the new 98 will fit more like my old 100, width, I might find the Prime looser than my current 2.0. Any mag update their Hawx and can report on fit changes?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    New Hawx Prime is 100mm wide in size 26.5, and the instep height is about 5mm lower than the old Hawx 2.0. New Prime is definitely not a looser fit than the old 2.0, and Ultra is narrower and lower volume than new Prime.

If you had your old 2.0s molded, you will find that the new Prime is much snugger out of the box than your current boot. It's not to say you can't make an Ultra 130 work for your foot, it will just take more work. I would definitely encourage you to try on both with a boot-fitter before pulling the trigger.

OP - sorry for the derail, but Matt: will the upgraded buckles for 2020 XTD 130s be available as spare parts for next season? I'd rather upgrade my current two pairs with the new buckles than buy new boots. Go figure right

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    OP - sorry for the derail, but Matt: will the upgraded buckles for 2020 XTD 130s be available as spare parts for next season? I'd rather upgrade my current two pairs with the new buckles than buy new boots. Go figure right
    Yes- sames goes for the new cam power strap and new liner.

Sounds good - thanks for the swift reply!

Any idea what replacement buckles usually / will cost?

I will have one pair set up with 2x Intuition liners (pro tour + pro tongue) and the other with the current xtd 120+130 liners, so I think I am all set for liners, but thanks for specifying nonetheless!

Somewhat related - anyone know how the fit compares between Hawx Prime s and Salomon X Pro (130 flex).

Thanks for all the beta

UPDATE: Went to a large shop today, not hard core bootfitting but some what helpful staff. ONK (see ^) knows his stuff. The Prime at 100 definitely had less room for the instep than my current 2.0 —had a lot pressure across where the top of the instep meets the “upright” lower shin, so to speak. Shop thought it was at a place where I should not expect the head mold to solve it. Heel grip was awesome, as was the feeling in all other places except the top of the insteps.

By the way, the Prime S and Ultra S are really, really light. I’d love to spend full days in these, but it looks like we are not to be. Did not find a contender among what else they had in stock, though he suggested I try the Nordica Speedmachine, they did not have a 29.5 in stock. I’m tempted to get Intuition liners and get another season out of the 2.0s, unless ONK thinks the prime will mold well at the upper instep.
    Last edited by ThreeRidges; 03-10-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Anyone have any info on how the heel hold/width compares between the Older 2.0/Prime, the New Prime S, and the Salomon X-Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    In the Magnas the heelpocket has changed shape(taper) a very slight bit but max width seems about the same.....FWIW, not sure if there was any similarity between models & heelpocket max width. Fwiw...I think the X Pro's achilles area tapers down to a lower heelpocket than the Magna's(if you can visualize this to your Prime) thus offering better heel holddown...going try to duplicate with stick-em foam in my Magnas.
    The Hawx Magna last has not changed since we originally launched the boot. It's the same last, no change to the heel pocket.

All of the Hawx boots share the same basic last shape of "Hawx", but their volumes and dimensions are all unique. That means there are no shared heel pockets or instep heights or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Yes- sames goes for the new cam power strap and new liner.
    Still derailing a bit - ONK: is this buckle "upgrade" applicable to the 2020 Prime S? Other changes to it?

the buckle upgrade I am referring to is that is meant to improve touring specifically, aliviating buckles having to be all the way loose. The new buckles are modeled on the buckles from the Backland and are meant to be easier to walk with.
    old:
    Name:  hawx.png
Views: 1640
Size:  250.5 KB

new:
    Name:  buckles-640x240.png
Views: 1627
Size:  254.5 KB

I am sure you could put em on a prime s as well, but I am unsure what good it would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullywhacker View Post
    Still derailing a bit - ONK: is this buckle "upgrade" applicable to the 2020 Prime S? Other changes to it?
    The new Ultra XTD buckles allow for better cuff ROM while touring. As kid-kapow said, you can put them on a normal Prime boot but it won't bring you any advantage.

Tried the Hawx Ultra 130 s - seemed like a good boot, very light. Flexing it at home though it was maybe a little softer than my 4 year old x pro 120s. It surprisingly fit decently even at the 96mm last in my size, but the instep was killer. Very low, pain to get my foot in. Very difficult to get out of the boot, the lower overlap would often reverse (wrong side would end up on top) after removing the boot. The overlap edges over the instep would also cut into my foot.

Not surprising though, I was jamming a med-high volume foot in a low volume boot. Would have liked to try to mold them and see how they changed, but the canting was also pretty far off for me. Even with the cuff alignment, the upper cuff was still leaning way too far outwards for me. Seemed extreme compared to my X-Pros.

Ended up getting some Zipfit liners to put in the x pros, trying out this weekend. I still really want to try the Hawx Prime 130 s - anyone know how the canting compares between the ultra and the prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Tried the Hawx Ultra 130 s - seemed like a good boot, very light. Flexing it at home though it was maybe a little softer than my 4 year old x pro 120s. It surprisingly fit decently even at the 96mm last in my size, but the instep was killer. Very low, pain to get my foot in. Very difficult to get out of the boot, the lower overlap would often reverse (wrong side would end up on top) after removing the boot. The overlap edges over the instep would also cut into my foot.

Not surprising though, I was jamming a med-high volume foot in a low volume boot. Would have liked to try to mold them and see how they changed, but the canting was also pretty far off for me. Even with the cuff alignment, the upper cuff was still leaning way too far outwards for me. Seemed extreme compared to my X-Pros.

Ended up getting some Zipfit liners to put in the x pros, trying out this weekend. I still really want to try the Hawx Prime 130 s - anyone know how the canting compares between the ultra and the prime?
    X-Pro is a medium volume boot, so if you are trying to find the analogous version in Atomic's range, it's definitely the Hawx Prime not the Ultra.

Re: canting- both Prime and Ultra come out of the box with a 0° shell, a 1°-out cuff, and a boot-board that has a slight amount of varus to it (it's not totally flat) and the cuff alignment hardware allow for 4° of total movement (2° in to 2° out). Also, both boots can be sole canted from 0.5°-3.0° on every have degree with our canting shims. In order to know what sole canting you would need for this specific boot, you would need to have an assessment done (don't go off previous boots because each boot is different and positions you in a different way).

But also, putting your med-high volume foot into a lower volume shell without any boot work done to it can cause some things (including canting/body positioning) to feel off). Try out the Hawx Prime to be sure.

See above from me. The prime did not give me as much instep space as my Hawx 2.0, but is definitely more instep friendly thank the Ultra. If the instep would mold our a bit an inch or so downstream from the ankle joint I would have tried, but the shop didn’t expect it would

New Hawx Prime is 100mm wide in size 26.5, and the instep height is about 5mm lower than the old Hawx 2.0. New Prime is definitely not a looser fit than the old 2.0, and Ultra is narrower and lower volume than new Prime.
    ONK - I only weigh 145lbs/65 kilos so was planning on the Prime 120 S as my next purchase (moving from Dalbello KR2 Fusion). Three weeks ago, the Atomic web site would show the 120 but now just shows the 130 and the 100? Any insight or are my navigation skills really suspect? Also, any changes coming to the Prime for 2019-20?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullywhacker View Post
    ONK - I only weigh 145lbs/65 kilos so was planning on the Prime 120 S as my next purchase (moving from Dalbello KR2 Fusion). Three weeks ago, the Atomic web site would show the 120 but now just shows the 130 and the 100? Any insight or are my navigation skills really suspect? Also, any changes coming to the Prime for 2019-20?
    Not sure why it is doing that... We will offer 130 S, 120 S, 110 S, 100, and 90 in the Prime for 19-20. No changes other than some new color options.

If a Hawx 2.0 from 2015 fits my foot with minimal punching, am I going to be able to get my foot into a Hawx XTD for AT? Asking because I’m still struggling with Maestrales and I’m wondering if a more bakeable shell would help.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    If a Hawx 2.0 from 2015 fits my foot with minimal punching, am I going to be able to get my foot into a Hawx XTD for AT? Asking because I’m still struggling with Maestrales and I’m wondering if a more bakeable shell would help.
    Without being able to see your foot to know for sure, I would generally say yes. I've been surprised with some of the feet that can work in an Ultra XTD, either through Memory Fit or through traditional stretching. The plastic is rather easy to work with.

Without being able to see your foot to know for sure, I would generally say yes. I've been surprised with some of the feet that can work in an Ultra XTD, either through Memory Fit or through traditional stretching. The plastic is rather easy to work with.
    Found a pair to try on. Weirdly, the forefoot is actually more comfortable than the Maestrale shell for me. However, I have a hot spot around the ankle. Looking at the function of the boot I am a bit concerned about how much room anyone would be able create there. Is it worth driving to see a boot fitter I trust or is an ankle punch in the overlap area DOA?

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Found a pair to try on. Weirdly, the forefoot is actually more comfortable than the Maestrale shell for me. However, I have a hot spot around the ankle. Looking at the function of the boot I am a bit concerned about how much room anyone would be able create there. Is it worth driving to see a boot fitter I trust or is an ankle punch in the overlap area DOA?
    Definitely worth driving to see a boot-fitter you trust. Usually ankle problems are easily solved, even with a cuff with a high degree of ROM.