Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Jones Pass Fatality

Unfortunately, the victim didn't make it. If you have any solid facts, please share. If you only have third hand info from Facebook, please state as such. There is a lot of conflicting information floating about right now. Let's not make a bad deal worse stating you know more than you do. Thanks

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...ep&view=public

This may be useful https://www.facebook.com/ClearCreekS...c_location=ufi I know its facebook but it still seems legit to me

I have nothing to add beyond RIP and WTF?!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I pass no judgement and offer vibes for those truly affected by the loss
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Last edited by funkendrenchman; 03-08-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Cat Ski guide? Thoughts to those who knew him.

Yes, the victim was a guide for the cat ski operation. I did not know him but many friends did. He was well respected in the local community.

++++VIBES++++

This one hits close to home. Be safe and be good to one another.

RIP and vibes to friends and family.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Powder Addiction Snowcats are greatly saddened to confirm that a employee, Hans Berg, was fatally injured in an avalanche on Jones Pass. The Powder Addiction group was skiing in accordance with standard operation procedures in a well known and frequently skied area. Reports confirm that he was caught in a large avalanche that was set off by two recreational - non guided skiers, that skied out and onto a loaded slope far above the Powder Addiction group. Rescue was conducted in a swift manner, medical aid was rendered and our employee was transported to awaiting EMS for transport to the Hospital. The Powder Addiction family is distraught by Han's passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with Han's family and friends during this heartbreaking time.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    <snip> he was caught in a large avalanche that was set off by two recreational - non guided skiers, that skied out and onto a loaded slope far above the Powder Addiction group.
    Good lord this is horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Powder Addiction Snowcats are greatly saddened to confirm that a employee, Hans Berg, was fatally injured in an avalanche on Jones Pass. The Powder Addiction group was skiing in accordance with standard operation procedures in a well known and frequently skied area. Reports confirm that he was caught in a large avalanche that was set off by two recreational - non guided skiers, that skied out and onto a loaded slope far above the Powder Addiction group. Rescue was conducted in a swift manner, medical aid was rendered and our employee was transported to awaiting EMS for transport to the Hospital. The Powder Addiction family is distraught by Han's passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with Han's family and friends during this heartbreaking time.
    If true, ^^^this is some shit. Can/will charges be filed?
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Tragic, thank you for the information Funken, sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

terrible and tragic, ugh

Super sad. Condolences to the friends and family.

I'm not familiar with the area but from the pictures it looked like a massive slide with lots of debris in it. I don't know why anyone would be out dropping into something like with the current conditions.

Given the amount of piss poor etiquette on display by backcountry skiers these days, I'm honestly surprised that things like this don't happen more often.

That doesn't diminish the fact that it's a damn tragedy.

The guest is a good friend. He said he didn't know whether it was triggered by other skiers, if they remote triggered it from below, or if it was natural. Who knows. Regardless, so sad. RIP

Judging from the CAIC pictures it appears that this may have cut a new path through some fairly substantial trees, i.e, usually a safe zone. Makes me think of my own probably false sense of safety below tree line.

I'm very sorry and hope everyone can be careful and safe.
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Honestly there's not much you can say at this point without knowing the details, but hopefully this can teach people that going into the backcountry on a day when half the state is rated extreme, is a bad idea. Try as you may to take a safe route, you still have the possibility of outsides factors affecting your seemingly well laid plans.

RIP and Condolences to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post
    Judging from the CAIC pictures it appears that this may have cut a new path through some fairly substantial trees, i.e, usually a safe zone. Makes me think of my own probably false sense of safety below tree line.

That’s what I was wondering. It’s a sobering thought that protected safe zones aren’t even safe right now.

Tragic. Some have alluded to this above, but the game has changed. Small features you might have ignored in the past have new powers to harm.
    I have more skis and bikes than Facebook friends.

I'm only working off the two photos posted by CAIC, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly which path this was that ran. If I am correct, then yes it cleared out a significant amount of mature timber.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'm only working off the two photos posted by CAIC, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly which path this was that ran. If I am correct, then yes it cleared out a significant amount of mature timber.
    The prelim report says it was a R4/D4.

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Honestly there's not much you can say at this point without knowing the details, but hopefully this can teach people that going into the backcountry on a day when half the state is rated extreme, is a bad idea. Try as you may to take a safe route, you still have the possibility of outsides factors affecting your seemingly well laid plans.

RIP and Condolences to friends and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    That’s what I was wondering. It’s a sobering thought that protected safe zones aren’t even safe right now.

From today's report, which I have never heard from CAIC before:

"Do not try and second guess these conditions. Any human-triggered avalanche will be massive and hard to survive"

i dont get it. He was a guide and he was guiding a commercial touring group? Yesterday the CAIC site was black, in most of CO.
    So who goes out in that?

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    i dont get it. He was a guide and he was guiding a commercial touring group? Yesterday the CAIC site was black, in most of CO.
    So who goes out in that?
    Sounds like he was the photographer, setting up down lower (underneath?) than the guides and clients were going to drop in.