someone explain stack height to me

I’m not a racer. I’m a bum that has benefitted immensely from ski technology and designs getting better. I have no history with stack height.

Then I get some used boots with the toe ground down on top and aftermarket soles drilled to the bottom. Fits in the binding fine but it has raised my foot up from the ski. I think would have same effect as with riser plates on bindings. I’m not sure other than “different” how to describe the raised boot soles. They’re not canted.

Is stack height good for me? Bad? How does high or low stack affect a dude crud busting and stomping billy goats inbounds? I’m not a speeshal flower.

My personal preference:
    I hate high stack height. I hate the "unstable on high stilts" feeling when landing airs. And I hate the edging sensation when tipping them over at high edge angles.

How high? Like, I hate the height of Dukes, Guardians, etc.

The stack height of Jester Demos is quite low (for demos) and doesn't bother me at all, though.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I think I need a pic to understand exactly what you're describing for the boot mod.

But you might be dealing with a change in ramp angle / delta as much as stack height.

If the boot is legitimately thicker soled now as a result of the mod, you probably don't have a boot that's works as designed in a DIN certified binding.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

A pic would be helpful. ISO 5355 specifies dimensions for toe/heel lugs hence it should not be possible to alter stack height that much without causing compatibility problems with alpine bindings. It does sound like someone has altered delta. Are you sure they are not canted?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I think I need a pic to understand exactly what you're describing for the boot mod.
    Name:  14897430876_a6f4f27eaf.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  110.3 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I’m not a racer. I’m a bum that has benefitted immensely from ski technology and designs getting better. I have no history with stack height.

Then I get some used boots with the toe ground down on top and aftermarket soles drilled to the bottom. Fits in the binding fine but it has raised my foot up from the ski. I think would have same effect as with riser plates on bindings. I’m not sure other than “different” how to describe the raised boot soles. They’re not canted.

Is stack height good for me? Bad? How does high or low stack affect a dude crud busting and stomping billy goats inbounds? I’m not a speeshal flower.
    Are you talking about boot lifts like this? https://www.peakskishop.com/Boot-Lif...or_p_4536.html

If that is what you're referring to, all that is doing is (in theory) returning you to the ISO required height for any non-WTR/GripWalk binding.

Racers tend to use them to held flatten their stance out so they can ride a flat ski.

It reads to me like only 1 was installed which is weird but could be due to the toe area wearing out faster than the heel and this was the remedy.

Any boot that has had stack(lifter) height adjustments has more than likely also had other canting and cuff adjustments to perfect an alignment issue particular to the previous owner (in your case, hopefully they weren't knock knee'd!!)
    If the boot is legitimately thicker soled now as a result of the mod, you probably don't have a boot that's works as designed in a DIN certified binding.
    when lifters are added to sole; the heel and toe are routered down to din compliance-- the FIS rules on this stuff has evolved far beyond my current interest level.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Stack height is mostly a racing /carving function on a Skinny ski, as raising the binding platform allows more leverage to be applied to the edge and more acute edge angles can be achieved.

But on a wide ski or pow ski, stack is bad as it creates an unstable platform and sometimes a "double tip" as you turn as the binding and ski feel less connected creating slop.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Name:  14897430876_a6f4f27eaf.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  110.3 KB
    Well at least they're red.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    . . . boots with the toe ground down on top and aftermarket soles drilled to the bottom. Fits in the binding fine but it has raised my foot up from the ski. I think would have same effect as with riser plates on bindings. I’m not sure other than “different” how to describe the raised boot soles. They’re not canted.
    Serious race boots come with thick soles that can't be used in an alpine binding until they are ground down to ISO 5355 spec (19mm plus or minus 1mm high at the toe, so most routers are set to 20mm). The total height of the boot board above the ski is regulated by FIS (43mm including binding and plate) and they are very picky about it, so assuming you're not using a race plate binding you should be lower than that above the ski surface. You don't know the boots were not canted; the soles are planed to an angle specified by the skier and the toe lugs are routed to match but you can't really see it.

As mofro says, most experienced racers prefer to max out their stack height for leverage, most experienced freeride skiers like to stay low. Hard to say what will work best for you.

when there is too much stack height you might get nose bleeds
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know