avalanches in areas that hadn’t slid in decades

Slide hit Minturn Mile this afternoon. No injuries.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

I was here in 2003 and I see slides in areas that didn't slide then.

Stuff that you always dismissed as, "while technically slide terrain, this would never slide except on an EXTREME day," well when that day is TODAY, you look at everything wideeyed and do weird things like have your avalung out skiing the trees inbounds.

Century level slides mean that you literally will have no sign in the timber, no memory, only the judgment of "is this 28 degrees? keep the fuck away!"
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    you look at everything wideeyed and do weird things like have your avalung out skiing the trees inbounds.
    Interesting how regional snowpack differences breed different practices. In Tahoe, I ride inbounds with an Avalung somewhat often due to NARSIDS danger. And know a number of other folks who do the same.

Fingers crossed no more fatalities out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Interesting how regional snowpack differences breed different practices. In Tahoe, I ride inbounds with an Avalung somewhat often due to NARSIDS danger. And know a number of other folks who do the same.
    Heh when I said "inbounds in the trees" I was referring to an area one ought to be the most safe from slides.

But good point. I think the difference lies in the trees. Treewells are a problem in some places here like Wolf Creek and Steamboat, but lodgepole pine and aspen prevalent at most CO ski areas don't make huge tree wells most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I was here in 2003 and I see slides in areas that didn't slide then.

Stuff that you always dismissed as, "while technically slide terrain, this would never slide except on an EXTREME day," well when that day is TODAY, you look at everything wideeyed and do weird things like have your avalung out skiing the trees inbounds.

Century level slides mean that you literally will have no sign in the timber, no memory, only the judgment of "is this 28 degrees? keep the fuck away!"
    I didn't set foot anywhere near avalanche terrain today, but I had a some good views of the Indian Peaks on a tour with my dog. Saw some crowns today in places I would not have thought possible. Nothing huge, but weird. Oddly, none of the more common paths had slid, or if they did it happened before the last couple rounds of snowfall and filled back in enough that I couldn't tell. There was also a good deal more snow on South and West facing slopes than I've seen in the 3 years I've been touring around this area. I wish I'd brought binoculars to get a better look at the more distant peaks. If I were inclined to deal with the I70 shit show to ride lifts this weekend I'd be beeping inbounds for sure.

Big paths are just waiting.

I've been saved from 2 complete NARSIDS in the last 2 decades and it's been frightening to say the least.

I've also been so so tempted to just say fuck it, I know better, I can sculpt this. But, I've gotten to a point where I look at my wall of shame, the part of my wall where I put up all the articles of people who I've been close to who have died, and said, fuck that, clean the goddamn bathroom.

When involuntary tears just roll off your face spontaneously, maybe you need to take a lap in the detergent department.

Edit: Pinner years ago gave me a high pitch whistle that I can reach with my mouth that I have on my bag that I've used twice. Once for me and once to announce an avi that resulted in a survival on a full snomo ski burial.

Thank you, pinner.

This is a new one for me. A correction!

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Bottom line:

Don't be that person. Please, we need good posters.

What else that costs $5 has saved so many lives? Fox 40 whistle, great for every backpack you own.

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-40-372463.../dp/B00PUHJG1W

Well said Makers. Sometimes the hardest and best decision to make is, "I'm not going backcountry skiing today". I've been fighting it for about a week.
    Last edited by Foggy_Goggles; 03-09-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: backpack

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Thank you, pinner.
    Don't mention it.

But good point. I think the difference lies in the trees. Treewells are a problem in some places here like Wolf Creek and Steamboat, but lodgepole pine and aspen prevalent at most CO ski areas don't make huge tree wells most of the time.
    Sierra Cement also usually keeps this at bay in Tahoe but we've had fathoms of blower this year and they have been an issue. I believe we've had two narsids with no treewells at all. Just falling forward in the bottomless and never finding a bottom or a breath.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Well said Makers. Sometimes the hardest and best decision to make is, "I'm not going backcountry skiing today". I've been fighting it for about a week.
    it seems much harder for you folks. We don't consistently get PWLs so we have a scale similar to the hot crazy scale for girls. By the time things get into the high range the skiing has dropped into at least a little (usually much) less fun zone. I've found the rewards for getting away with a high day just aren't worth it here. That makes it easier to sit at home or wander in the low angle trees

edit- reading that again it's not clear what I was saying. In short on our typical maritime high day the skiing usually is a let down due to heavy snow, wind crusts, etc. whereas with your continental snowpack you can have an excellent sliding surface with the high danger lurking underneath.
    Last edited by powdork; 03-11-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.