Car rental insurance

i've usually been able to borrow a car or do without, but recently been renting a car and getting killed on the insurance. what is the best way to go about covering a rental car for cheap? my wife's credit card has some automatic insurance when used to make the payment, but according to the last (i) box, it's not all-inclusive and doesn't cover personal injury, personal liability, third party property damange, or damages to other cars or property, or injury to any party. what do we need to get to cover the gap with her credit card coverage? or is there a cheaper alternative to cover everything?

thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car1.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	272760

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car2.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	272761

I just run under my personal car insurance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

i dont' have that option here in switzerland.

jgb@etree Guest
    Many credit cards offer rental car insurance as a perk if you rent with that card.

Edit: Looks like you've already considered that angle

AMEX allows you to purchase full coverage for short periods of time while traveling. I just use them, as it is much more affordable that what the rental place will charge you. Check with your credit card companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You have your personal car insurance already along with the CC (Visa Gold or equivalent). I've been involved in accidents (only one was my fault) around the world from 3rd world to EU and USA and CC has covered it every time. One in Germany cost $3000 and Visa covered it 100%. Beyond the deductible stated by rental company, the rental car company will cover it. Sometimes you will be subject to your deductible. I hit a deer in the Grand Canyon once and they wanted $800 for it....Visa only covered up to my personal insurance deductible so I negotiated with Rental company to lower it to $500. Rules vary, but I've never paid a cent.

Only time I ever bought Rental car insurance was in Ireland since there was such a squabble over whether CC covered it or not so I just ponied up the $100 for peace of mind.

Check your personal insurance and the terms if going overseas. In the US its a no brainer....CC covers your deductible and your primary covers rest.

Liability? In the US taken car of by your primary...overseas, never worried about as I have personal health insurance that covers overseas and I am not worried about the other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    I just run under my personal car insurance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I used to do that but in talking with my insurance agent, they don't cover loss of income from the car while it's out of service. So, I now buy that coverage from the rental company and my personal liability covers the cost of repair and any other liability. First time I used that coverage, I backed into something and damaged the rental. No problems, returned the car, told them what happened, they checked the coverage and sent me on my way. Thankfully I did buy that coverage.

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...he-bill-for-it

What American car insurance will cover in Switzerland and what Swiss insurance will cover might very well be two separate things. Sounds like we need a Swiss dentist to answer. (I know a German dentist who lives across the Rhine from Switzerland but I don't think that will work.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What American car insurance will cover in Switzerland and what Swiss insurance will cover might very well be two separate things. Sounds like we need a Swiss dentist to answer. (I know a German dentist who lives across the Rhine from Switzerland but I don't think that will work.)
    I know the extended coverage I bought from Amex covers it as that's what I always do in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

There are plenty of CCs that cover rentals without having to pay extra. The only cards I've had that offer it have an annual fee, but if you're renting a lot, it's probably a good bit less than the add-on insurance.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Looks like i need to get an amex soley for this reason.

thx all

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    AMEX allows you to purchase full coverage for short periods of time while traveling. I just use them, as it is much more affordable that what the rental place will charge you. Check with your credit card companies.
    Yes i have recently opted as well for short period of time while traveling and it was cost convenient for me to go with them